Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage

Navajo Chief

Thoughts and comments? Thanks.

Strictly in my personal opinion .. the SJTV may be the coolest all-around guitar that Gibby has to offer today. (I'm not a fan of actual "old" guitars, sorry!)

I eventually chose my J-45 over the SJ but I've always wondered if I made the right choice. ](*,)

I have had one for a year, mine was built in August 2009. It's a round shoulder Gibson dread with mahogany back and sides, so it has the classic Gibson sound. The TV has the darker "tobacco" sunburst, which I totally dig. Supposedly built to a higher standard of care, but who really knows. The cosmetic appointments are better then the J-45, such as the tuning keys, split parallelogram fret inlays, rosette and fret binding. All and all, it is a beautiful instrument. Mine was bought mail-order, and arrived in flawless condition. I truly love this guitar. Here are some pictures:

gtr4.jpg

gtr5.jpg

gtr6.jpg

gtr7.jpg

gtr8.jpg

Supposedly built to a higher standard of care, ...

Where did you hear this? TVs are just regular production-line guitars, built by the same people using the same processes as Standards. There are differences in specs (and materials), but not in the builds.

-- Bob R

Where did you hear this? TVs are just regular production-line guitars, built by the same people using the same processes as Standards. There are differences in specs (and materials), but not in the builds.

-- Bob R

Im kinda curious myself. I only played a regular and TV J-45 and can definitely say the J-45TV had much more of a growling, meaner and frankly amzing tone.

I've had mine since just before the new year, its a 2007. I think this guitar is the best i've ever had or played in my 30 years of picking. It has a dark but still bright sound, but not too bright, more of a mellow bright. And it is balanced, but still has much bass. The bracing is the AJ kind, so it is really resonant. Short scale, which is nice for finger style stretches. The guitar keeps giving more tone the more you lean on it. I don't know how to describe it, but i hear a certain deeper hollowness / dry sound that comes with older guitars, usually in the bass and mids, but don't hear it all the time. Any other players hear it?

w9iix2.jpg

• 2 years later...

I recently buy a Gibson SJ TV. I don't have much time to play it, but y can see it's a diferent guitar. I have a Gibson J-45 standard, a Gibson J-45 antique Natural, a Southern Jumbo, an Advanced Jumbo and all oh them sound really different.

I've had mine since just before the new year, its a 2007. I think this guitar is the best i've ever had or played in my 30 years of picking. It has a dark but still bright sound, but not too bright, more of a mellow bright. And it is balanced, but still has much bass. The bracing is the AJ kind, so it is really resonant. Short scale, which is nice for finger style stretches. The guitar keeps giving more tone the more you lean on it. I don't know how to describe it, but i hear a certain deeper hollowness / dry sound that comes with older guitars, usually in the bass and mids, but don't hear it all the time. Any other players hear it?

w9iix2.jpg

Good description, PicketPaul. On a dryness scale, I'd rate three similar guitars with subtly different specs this way (from most dry to more overtones):

Fullers 1939 J-35 Reissue > True Vintage Southern Jumbo > True Vintage J-45.

Red 333

I bought one a few weeks ago and it is truly stunning. I think the factory strings are Masterbuilt Premium Phosphor Bronze and give a super rich tone. It has plenty of volume and sustain. It is difficult to put the tone into words but it covers the entire spectrum without being too bright. If it sounds this good new then I look forward to how it sounds after hours of playing.

Bob

I agree with the previous posts. My SJTV just has that deep, dark mellow "Gibson" bass tone. Hard to describe, but ya'll know what I'm talkin' about!!! That's what makes a Gibson a Gibson!

Yeah man you really described. What makes a gibon a gibson! For me, 2 things "that mellow bass" and some kind of rock attack!

Gus

• 3 months later...

I have had mine for about two months now. I love it. It is very light compared to my J50, and the tone is more complex - I guess which means that the J50 might be better for recording, but then again so might be my Yamaha F720s.

Whenever I get an idea and try it out at work on the Yamaha, I can't wait to get home and try it on the SJTV. When I do my belly feels great and a smile breaks out. It is dry, and I just love the sound - the Gibby thump, the throaty 2 packs a day of Marlboro Reds growl...

It is expensive (to me), but I feel it was money well spent for me. Since getting it I have sold off five other guitars, and just really have the SJTV, my Martin D15, and the Yammie at work.

I've had my "New Vintage" SJ (a TV with gloss finish) for 18 months now & can truly say its the msot wonderful guitar I've ever owned or played. Its stunning to look at, light to hold, easy to play & has that classic Gibson slope dread tone in spades.

GibsonSJ.jpg

Hey Bayou... what are you powering her with?

Hey Sal!

I am a late in life full time musician and I average about three to four gigs a week (some months are better than others!). Always had day jobs and played gigs on the side before.

So I've found I need a system that sounds a good as possible with the highest ease of use. When I provide the sound I have the Baggs M80 Passive Pickup (I did get the end pin enlarged for the jack, and it turned out fine) plugged into a Red Eye Preamp box and then run through an SR Technology 400 Watt all in one cabinet sound system. It is basically a slightly older and modified (EQ frequencies on one channel are a little different) version of what is now known as the Schertler Jam 400:

Jam 400 A very warm rich sound. If I am playing at larger venue (usually outdoors) I add a powered Schertler Side Powered extension speaker to get better dispersion.

I have been happy with this set up. Are there other pick ups and sound reinforcement gear that may sound more natural? Definitely, but I need something I can set up quickly, give me a high enough quality sound and break down quickly. Many of the venues provide a PA, and they usually don't sound as good as my system but for convenience sake I will use theirs playing through the Red Eye box. I have found the box gives a great tone without having to dial in too much. I actually have the twin version which allows me to plug in two guitars using only one channel. Ray Wylie Hubbard uses it and that was a good recommendation to me!

You probably got a lot more information than you wanted. I hope I didn't go on too long!

Not at all. Thanks. I have an M1A but am not sure I want to drill out the end pin :)

I hear you. I guess it depends how often you will really need to plug in. For me, it is quite often. I'm sure someone at Russo's could do it for you in an expert and safe manner! Out here it cost me about $33.

Archived