Gibson Brands Forums

rare/odd gibson guitars

timjtitus

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see Gibson reissue the 20/20 bass. It was a short scale competitor to the Steiberger that just died. It had a B-17 bomber type rumble tone.

I would love to see Gibson reissue the Les Paul Recording Custom Guitar, perhaps with options for the 80's version surface mount Floyd Rose or Bigsby (like Les Paul himself played). I would love to see the Robot tech as an option too, I love my Dusk Tiger.

I happen to have both colors of the 20/20 bass, it has to be one of the oddest & rarest Gibson basses out there even though it isn't one of the most valuable. Time will tell, it always does!

19872020sFerrariRedLunaSilver.jpg

I will also post my Les Paul Recording & My Gibson Futura. I put the 20/20 & the Futura in the same catagory. They were both designs that should of been headless, marketing decided to put a more familiar headstock on them, thus creating a confusing design that wasn't accepted well on the sales floor. There were about 200 Futuras produced & I've heard between 12 & less than 100 for shipping totals on the 20/20 bass.

1973GibsonLesPaulRecording.jpg

1985GibsonFutura.jpg

Chicago Music Exchange has one. They are seriously cool, I love em

In my land of misfit toys, I happen to have a set of them also, I think that they are way cool also............

1974GibsonLesPaulSignature.jpg

1974GibsonLessPaulSignatureBass.jpg

There not really rare but two of my favorires are from 1976 L6-S and a Recording model.

Sorry crappy phone pics

GibsonL6S-1copy.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

I owned an L6-S...........It was an amazing guitar, astounding, actually.....

Something special about the pickups....Mine had a " Veritone " switch.....

• 3 years later...

Add the Gibson Vegas High Roller and Vegas Standard to the "Rare/Cool" list. Gibson built these models in 2006 and 2007 only. I don't consider it odd since the style and construction of it are pretty common today on guitars such as the Midtown models. It has a set Mahogany neck, routed out Mahogany body and flat Maple top.

Here's the "Roulette Red" High Roller I owned with my Midtown Custom. Maybe it should be included in this list too...

Gibsons_zpsa8e750c2.jpg

Archived