Gibson Brands Forums

rare/odd gibson guitars

timjtitus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not rare, but you don't see 'em around much - the Nighthawk (a humbucker and a 90) - here's a 98 - http://cgi.ebay.com/1998-Gibson-Nighthawk-Special-w-OHSC-Ebony-Finish-/200532348509?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eb0a8ce5d

!BwB6wWQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkYEwP0DegrIBMHGuNQ1)w~~_35.JPG

Gibson brought 'em back in 2009 - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-2009.aspx

39574600-c8e4-4f13-9901-cb10bac13a2f.jpg

go find a super 400 in natural finish, then take out a giant loan to buy it

Here's 2.. Buy the pair!!!

*GIBSON SUPER 400CN, ca 1965, Blonde, floating Johnny Smith pickup,

exquisite guitar in every way, beautiful curly maple back, carved wide grain spruce

top, owned by jazz great Vic Cenecola, new frets by Jimmy Milinchuk,

has black 'widow's peak feature on back of neck, has original Gibson ordering

documents and letters showing it was ordered in December of '65 with a

delivery date of "210 days", near mint, ohsc.......................$16,000, reduced....$12,200

*GIBSON SUPER 400CN, 2002, Blonde, cutaway, highly flamed maple back,

old DeArmond floating pickup, huge sound, near mint, Cedar Creek case.........$8500

Just to name a few: 59' Les Paul, 61' SG, J-50, Firebird I, ES 100, 120, 125, 135, The Moderne, Super 400.

BTW, I saw a legit 59' Les Paul this past Sunday at the Arlington Guitar Show. It was in mint condition and the guy wanted something like $150,000 for it. Very sexy guitar. msp_thumbup.gif

well, an original '59 LP with no issues for $150,000 sounds like a short sale on a house worth $275,000.

Well it does have one minor issue. The original owner apparently ordered it from the factory in 1959 and when he got it, the neck was severely warped. So he sent it back to the factory and the neck was replaced at the Gibson factory. Other than that, it was all original, including the fretboard wich was removed from the old neck and put onto the new one.

I think any of the Guitar of the Week or Guitar of the Month instruments might fit into this category.

There was a zebra wood firebird that I would have loved to own. Nice looking piece of wood.

I nabbed this one from a guy who was selling 2 of them. This one was more mismatched as far as the 2 zebrawood wings were concerned than the other one and I liked that about it. Never played and the pickguard plastic cover was still there. The pickups are incendiary devices. Played a lot now.

Firebird-1.jpg

I would love to see Gibson reissue the 20/20 bass. It was a short scale competitor to the Steiberger that just died. It had a B-17 bomber type rumble tone.

I would love to see Gibson reissue the Les Paul Recording Custom Guitar, perhaps with options for the 80's version surface mount Floyd Rose or Bigsby (like Les Paul himself played). I would love to see the Robot tech as an option too, I love my Dusk Tiger.

Just to name a few: 59' Les Paul, 61' SG, J-50, Firebird I, ES 100, 120, 125, 135, The Moderne, Super 400.

BTW, I saw a legit 59' Les Paul this past Sunday at the Arlington Guitar Show. It was in mint condition and the guy wanted something like $150,000 for it. Very sexy guitar. msp_thumbup.gif

Tman, how was the Arlington show? I've been off and on since '94, but I didn't go this year. Did Gibson bring their electric and acoustic custom shop trailers? How was the parking with the Rangers hosting the Yankees next door?

Tman, how was the Arlington show? I've been off and on since '94, but I didn't go this year. Did Gibson bring their electric and acoustic custom shop trailers? How was the parking with the Rangers hosting the Yankees next door?

Only the electric Custom Shop trailer was there. Some really nice guitars in there. They had a Pelham Blue SG Historic Reissue! msp_love.gif Hundreds of vendors from all across the country and I even saw one from Holland. Almost bought a vintage 70's Big Muff pedal. Sounded quite nice and came with all the original packaging for $125! msp_thumbup.gif Unfortunately, I didn't have enough cash and my dad refused to pay the rest. (I was only $50 short.........)sad.gif Parking was alright since the Rangers didn't play on Sunday.

Only the electric Custom Shop trailer was there. Some really nice guitars in there....

If you've never been to the Dallas show in the spring, that is even a bigger deal (and a half day longer) than Arlington. I don't think there are any more dealers and vendors than at Alrlinton, but there is a ton of live acts (local bands and guest artists) going from noon on Friday through the close of the show on Sunday. I saw the Nuge at the last Dallas show this past spring.

If you've never been to the Dallas show in the spring, that is even a bigger deal (and a half day longer) than Arlington. I don't think there are any more dealers and vendors than at Alrlinton, but there is a ton of live acts (local bands and guest artists) going from noon on Friday through the close of the show on Sunday. I saw the Nuge at the last Dallas show this past spring.

I went to the Dallas show this year and I plan on going again next year. I got my SG at the Dallas show.

I think the Sonex qualifies for the "odd" since it seems few like it and it didn't last long. Had a custom with the original Dirty Fingers, sold it to fund another guitar and brakes went out about 3 days later. Wish I didn't sell it as don't have either guitar now. A couple that others mention are the Blueshawks and Nighthawks, Les Paul Recording and Signatures, RD's... My local CL had a SG-1(or was it a SG-100, from 70's with one single coil) recently.. Here's a pic of my Sonex

39468_1455790308365_1041547927_31150089_3887035_n.jpg

Archived