Gibson Guitar Board: J45 / J50 Queston ... - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

J45 / J50 Queston ...

#1 User is offline   OPATRIOT 

• Group: Members

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

Gday Friends... Me and my new J50 are getting to know each other ... It came with Tusk nut & saddle and High saddle 4/32 & 3/32 and high nut slots so she will have go to the luthier soon ... Something is annoying me though .. when I play a G chord it sounds like the intonation is off .. I dont now how to describe it but sorta sounds off key ... could be there with other chords but I havnt noticed it like I do when strumming a G chord ... I think its coming from the A string but its hard to pin it down .... Its driving me crazy !! .. Its like when I play the G chord the notes dont harmonize or something ..... Anybody have this same experience ?? ... Would appreciate any thoughts of remedies ............. Kind Regards ... Davey

#2 User is offline   drathbun 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostOPATRIOT, on 23 October 2010 - 02:29 PM, said:

Gday Friends... Me and my new J50 are getting to know each other ... It came with Tusk nut & saddle and High saddle 4/32 & 3/32 and high nut slots so she will have go to the luthier soon ... Something is annoying me though .. when I play a G chord it sounds like the intonation is off .. I dont now how to describe it but sorta sounds off key ... could be there with other chords but I havnt noticed it like I do when strumming a G chord ... I think its coming from the A string but its hard to pin it down .... Its driving me crazy !! .. Its like when I play the G chord the notes dont harmonize or something ..... Anybody have this same experience ?? ... Would appreciate any thoughts of remedies ............. Kind Regards ... Davey

If your nut slots are high then you'll experience intonation problems with chords in first position. You press down on the strings and because of the high action at the nut, the strings bend sharp. Lowering the action properly at the nut should solve the intonation problems. Intonation problems higher up the neck can be solved by shaping the top of the saddle (something a qualified luthier should do).
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-17sm 12 fret
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2011 Gibson SJ200 Standard Natural
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2008 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   OPATRIOT 

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Thanx for the input Drath ... I will take that info with me to my luthier ... Was wondering if anybody else has had this same issue with their new guitars ?

#4 User is offline   jgwoods 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMA

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

I owned 5 Gibsons and all of them had problems at the nut.

#5 User is offline   RASHARU 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

In my experience, I've sometimes noticed that using medium gauge strings and/or tuning down a 1/2 step will cause an issue like this.

#6 User is offline   daniel joseph 

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

hello from bavaria/germany!

my 2006 j-50 has exactly the same problem.

even though the 6th string is correctly tuned, it is not possible to play the g on the third without having the effect of an incorrect intonation.
the only solution is to tune the string a half step down.
playing an f as powerchord on 1st fret leads to a similiar intonation problem of the 6th string.
the 4th string has the same inacceptable intonation at the 3rd fret. all that refering to standard tuning.

the negative effects approached after a few weeks of playing and where not detectable at the shop. my j-50 is always stored in itīs case within a humidity between 40 and 50 percent.
i got one german framus guitar for playin standard tuning. the j-50 is only used for some tunings like open d,open g. the sound is amazing because of it`s loudness. but playing standard with my j-50 is not fun at all. itīs a pity facing the price of that git.
i always thought that the fine new gibsons don't get to europe. but if dave got the same problem it seems to be a general lack of quality.

i will bring it to a luthier as soon as possible.

dave, have you already solved the intonation problems?
would be nice to know.

kind regards
dan

#7 User is offline   BigKahune 

• Just plain Member
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

Welcome Dan -

You might not have noticed, this thread is three months old.

I hate to say it, but Gibson hasn't been doing a good job setting up the nuts at the factory - both acoustic and electric. Most of the time, some of the nut string slots are not cut deep enough, leading to the problems with intonation and chords out of tune. Sometimes changing string gauge without redoing the setup can bring out these problems as the guitar should be setup of the particular guage of strings being used.

A lot of owners have a proper setup done right after the purchase - checking neck straightness, fret level, neck relief, and the action, which should include checking both the nut and saddle. A proper setup, done with the string guage you use, should correct your problem.

Check Drathbun's post above.
13 Gibson CS Advanced Jumbo R/Spruce..O12 Gibson Southern Jumbo TV....O11 RainSong JM-3000 12-string
11 Martin 000-15M Elderly LE....................O10 Gibson ES-359......................o10 Rickenbacker 360 12-string
09 Jackson PC-1.....................................O09 Fender 52 Telecaster AVS..ooO08 Gibson SJ-200 (Colosi S/P)
08 Gibson Robot SG LTD........................oO08 Fender Am/Dlx Stratocaster.....08 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
08 Gibson Les Paul Push Tone...................o07 Guild F412 12-sting..............oo07 Taylor NS74ce
07 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II.....................o98 Martin D-45VR.....................oo97 Guild X-700 Stuart
73 Yamaha G-55A......................................65 Gibson Melody Maker..............Amps: Bogner Alchemist (Head/212Cab)
Keyboard: 06 Yamaha DGX220............................................................................o Line6 Spider Jam & Micro Spider

#8 User is offline   Yggdrasil 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostBigKahune, on 24 January 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

I hate to say it, but Gibson hasn't been doing a good job setting up the nuts at the factory - both acoustic and electric. Most of the time, some of the nut string slots are not cut deep enough, leading to the problems with intonation and chords out of tune. Sometimes changing string gauge without redoing the setup can bring out these problems as the guitar should be setup of the particular guage of strings being used.

A lot of owners have a proper setup done right after the purchase - checking neck straightness, fret level, neck relief, and the action, which should include checking both the nut and saddle. A proper setup, done with the string guage you use, should correct your problem.

+1 - the nut on my Nick Lucas was improperly slotted when new, both re. depth & placement of the slots - had a new nut cut first thing, reflecting my string spacing preference ( a bit wider for fingerpickin').

#9 User is offline   euchre 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

My newly purchased Custom shop J45's nut had the high G at the edge of the fretboard. My dealer replaced and now the low E is sharp when I play a G. Back to the shop it goes. It's a good thing they offer lifetime free setups.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users