Gibson Brands Forums

Ooooo, that smell....

nickammo

I just picked up my new Gibson J-45 True Vintage from the local store that I ordered from the factory. The guitar sounds great, plays great, but there is a smell that is so strong. I don't know if it's coming from the guitar or the case. It's very strong odor that is hard to describe. What can I do to get rid of this smell? Is this common? What to do?

It's been a topic before (a month ago or so). There is this vanilla-cake smell or something. Find the other thread and have a look. My advice : Keep it out of the case. Mine hasn't returned down there since I got it in midsummer and the trace of grandmas pie is almost gone - 5% left though, which is kind of nice.

I would suspect what you are smelling is the case - more specifically, the adhesive used to set the lining. This smell will usually go away after a short time. Try leaving the case open and set it outside to air out. If it is the adhesive, it should go away.

I've used hide glue and it doesn't have much smell to it.

Yes, we've had reports of smelly cases. I'd suggest hanging the guitar on the wall for a month or two, or casing it in another, older, case. Then taking the new case and leaving it open somewhere it gets a lot of ventilation, like a garage or yard barn for a similar month or two.

. . . leave the case with the lid open

Okay, I see there is a somewhat morbid undertone there, but DanvillRob hits the dicidedly harsh nail. Recall when the band crashed - didn't know them too well; heard it on the radio in my room. Saaaaaaad. . . .

I LOVE that smell! I wish Magic still had it. Every now and then I'll get a 'vintage whiff' of it. I have been spotted smelling guitars in Long & McQuade. Luckily, the salesman who caught me understand exactly why it's such a great smell. It's a lot easier to sniff guitars than it is to open cases and sniff them. That might be seen as a tad weird. If you're sniffing guitars, you can just pretend you're reading the label. It's aromatherapy! [tongue]

My parents always taught me to be polite. Pleases and thankyous, hold doors open and give up your seat for women, and never sniff soundholes in public. What you do when alone and behind closed doors is another matter.

Oh man.... you made me blow coffee out my nose!

My parents always taught me to be polite. Pleases and thankyous, hold doors open and give up your seat for women, and never sniff soundholes in public. What you do when alone and behind closed doors is another matter.

AJ, are you insinuating that my soundhole sniffing is unmannerly? I'll have you know I'm very discrete. It's quite simple:

•  
  • walk up to guitar hanging on wall of music room,
  • lean in to *read the label*, just to make sure it's really what you think it is <ahem>,
  • while leaning in, take a quick whiff of said guitar.

Simple! No one is the wiser and I get my fix!

AJ, are you insinuating that my soundhole sniffing is unmannerly? I'll have you know I'm very discrete. It's quite simple:

•  
  • walk up to guitar hanging on wall of music room,
  • lean in to *read the label*, just to make sure it's really what you think it is <ahem>,
  • while leaning in, take a quick whiff of said guitar.

Simple! No one is the wiser and I get my fix!

I know your manners are impeccable and would never venture to suggest otherwise, Maam.

I like your technique and I'll try it myself. Sorry Mum!

Archived