Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone "Dot Super?" - Updated w/pix

JayBeee

Hi folks, I just joined the forums.

I picked up a "Limited Edition" Epiphone Dot Super in cherry red at a pawn shop recently.

I'm not having much luck figuring out 1) what differentiates it from a "regular" Dot, and 2) if I made a good purchase.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

I thought I'd switch the knobs to black speed knobs, and I'd like to replace the Epiphone logo on the pickguard that the previous owner felt the need to remove.

The pickups? I'm not sure yet. I've only had it for a couple weeks and only have a few hours playing it, so I haven't put much thought into changing the guts of this thing.

Anybody have any idea about the resale value of this guitar? As of right now, I've got $200 in it.

Thanks,

JB

The emblem on the pick guard probably fell off. They are notorious for coming loose. MIne is now glued to the latch side of the case to make it easy to spot the Dot in the line up of cased guitars.

I have about $350 in my Dot and it was only four months old when I bought it and a TKL case from a guy. MIne is a natural finish and looks like yours other than color.

A new standard or Deluxe (flametop) Dot is $399 everywhere.

I sold a standard Dot last year for $200, and while that's only a sample of one, I do see them used on Craigslist regulalry for $250-$300 with HSC.

The block inlays may help with resale, but not a whole lot.

Play it, mod it, tweak it, and enjoy, and dont' worry about the value.

That is a fine looking Dot. If you only have $200 in it, that's a good deal I'd say. I recently bought one new in natural. It's only the second humbucking equipped guitar I've owned. (The other, a Gretsch G5120.) But, mine seems to have a bit of twang and sparkle residing in it's thicker than single coil tone. Closer to a P90 sound IMO.

EpiphoneDot1.jpg

Play it, mod it, tweak it, and enloy, and dont' worry about the value.

+1. They're great guitars for what they are, but modded can be awesome. I changed out everything electronic and the difference was dramatic. Epi's p/u's tend to be muddy, and they use cheapo components. I've got more into the guitar than it's worth, but I never planned on selling it anyway.

Blk_knobs23.jpg

+1. They're great guitars for what they are, but modded can be awesome. I changed out everything electronic and the difference was dramatic. Epi's p/u's tend to be muddy, and they use cheapo components. I've got more into the guitar than it's worth, but I never planned on selling it anyway.

What pickups, pots, caps, and other stuff did you use? Where did you get them from?

What pickups, pots, caps, and other stuff did you use? Where did you get them from?

Had the work done for me, but put in SD Classic's, not sure which pots & stuff he used other than "USA" made (been a couple of years)

Lots of us here have done the same for our Dots and Sheratons. I used CTS pots and Switchcraft switch and jack, which involved widening the holes in the top as CTS and Switchcraft are all USA-spec size, Gibson knobs to fit the USA-size pots, and GFS pickups. I only got GFS initially because I couldn't afford Gibson, Seymour Duncan or Bareknuckle etc. They are OK, but if you can afford it, go for better. I mostly buy from Guitarpartsresource.com, but Stewmac, Allparts and WDmusic also have good ranges.

The electrics will probably have to be changed out via the f-hole, which isn't a job for the faint-hearted. There have been many posts about this here, maybe some in the DIY thread? If you're lucky enough to have one of the rare guitars with a gap in the wood centre block by the pickups which the electrics can be fished out of, then it will save time & money if you have a tech do the work, and a lot of fiddling if you do it. It's not an impossible job if you have to go through the f-holes, and it is rewarding if you do it yourself. I've done my Sheraton twice, and I'm really looking forward to doing it again when I can afford some Bareknuckles! [thumbup]

Edit to add: caps are Sprague Orange Drops. No need to buy expensive ones. And welcome to the Forum!

The electrics will probably have to be changed out via the f-hole, which isn't a job for the faint-hearted. There have been many posts about this here, maybe some in the DIY thread? And welcome to the Forum!

+1 on the welcome. Totally glossed over the fact you're new here.

There are also a ton of how to's on YouTube. Search for "JohnPlanetz" on YT. He has a multi part series on how to wire your harness, install, solder, etc. Very informative. There are many others as well.

I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I edited my posts to reflect the fact that the actual model name of this guitar is a "Dot Super," not a "Super Dot."

Incidentally, I suppose it's normal for the label inside this guitar to not have a serial number on it? The serial is on the back of the headstock, it's just... weird to see a spot on the label for "serial number," yet no serial there.

After some more time with this honey, I've decided that I will swap out the pickups. Probably with something cheap (given what it is), but a little brighter sound out of her wouldn't kill me.

By the way, I named her Joan.

Welcome! I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your questions but I just got a Dot in natural and love it. I'm thinking of upgrading to GFS Vintage 59's because I also can't afford SD's. But I'm sure it will still sound great. Have fun and keep reporting your progress.

Walt

Well I promised photos, so here they are. The cherry finish is so red, it looks washed out in the photos. Doesn't look like that in person.

259ah6r.jpg

jt2fb7.jpg

3517g3a.jpg

242tlb4.jpg

Man those are sweet! I found oneon the louisville craigslist that I tried to buy buy I missed out. I even posted an ad for the buyer so that I might get lucky enough to buy it from him but I didn't have any luck. Killer guitar, congrats!

• 3 weeks later...

i guess i'm a little late to get to this forum, but i bought one of those dot supers last year (a 2003 model) in sunburst. great flame top, plays great, as well as any gibson 335 onto which i've gotten my hands. however, it doesn't intone properly, the g and b strings don't quite get to where they should, and the pickups are muddy. the e on the pickguard fell off of mine too. my goal is to replace the pickguard with a gibson style one, and the pickups with burstbucker 2 and 3 (neck and bridge, respectively).

i bought it for $350 so you did a good job getting it for a good price. however, if you haven't made the move already, don't replace the knobs with black speed knobs - get the more vintage original black top hats that have the silver on the top.

also, the difference between the super and standard dots are the block inlays and the flame top.

• 4 weeks later...

Man those are sweet! I found oneon the louisville craigslist that I tried to buy buy I missed out. I even posted an ad for the buyer so that I might get lucky enough to buy it from him but I didn't have any luck. Killer guitar, congrats!

Hey, Im new to this forum and saw your post here. I have one of these available on eBay.. check seller name Pickledom

Thanks

Greg

Archived