Gibson Brands Forums

aluminum tailpiece

lespaulmu

Hey, i have a question about the aluminum tailpiece. i have a 2003 les paul standard. people told me that replacing the tailpiece to the aluminum tailpiece will give the guitar a more unique tone. so i am planning to order an aluminum tailpiece online. it comes with two studs in the body and two screws that go into the studs. when people say that replacing the tailpiece to change the tone. do they mean changing the whole set with studs and screws? thanks for your help.

Well if you're replacing with a Gibson tailpiece it should just slide right into place.

Wait for others to post on the sound

I've read some people get a tin type of sound since it's lighter weight compared

to stock tailpiece.

That maybe what you want, from what I read it will change your sound a bit.

Good luck.

oh no. i meant... obvioiusly if i want to replace the stopbar i have to replace with the correct sizing stopbar, but how about the screws and studs? do i have to replace the whole set to get that a more vintage tone? do i have to dig the stud from the body to get a new sets of studs and screws in order to get that tone?

If you are going to get Gibson parts you will not have to change the studs and screws. The stop bar will just fit.

The Gibson historics have the alumium stop bar because that is what they had back in the 50s so they used it.

Also the pickup rings are bigger on the Historics and that will change the sound also. I think you should take this question over to the Les Paul forum. They have a lot more experts on Historic hardware.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

Archived