Gibson Brands Forums

Cat Stevens Gibson type

Chris K

This isn't and should not be a political forum !

You are right about that....so why throw in any type of religious or political quip. In this forum, we try to keep the focus on music making. This guy's a great talent both as a writer and musician and performer. Many of us learned a great deal in regards to his style of guitar playing. There's no need slip in a veiled religious cheap shot.

I don't see this as a political nor a religious post. I find it informative about Cat Stevens. I knew he left the music biz because of his religious views but I've noticed him doing a few performances over the past couple years. Wasn't sure why. This helps me understand what's going on with him.

Thanks for the update.

BlackCat.jpgOvation ruled the later half of the 70'ties. If such a guitar was in the room you entered, people would go : Whaaaaaaauuuuu ! , , and immediately wanna try it. Some were better than others.

There's also current pictures of Jusef playing another black J-something with cut-away and florafied guard. He has always been keen on G's. Here's the Everly B.- model from way back then. . . .

Ha!

KSdaddy angled that nicely. B)

As E-minor7 noted, Ovations were very popular in the 70s. I never cared for the way their sound compared to wood back/sides guitars, but I still find that crazy bowl back interesting - it always reminded me of a strung gord.

I think Cat Stevens (and plenty of other folks) played Ovations back in the day because if you wanted to amplify your guitar on stage and make it sound good, Ovations were pretty much the only game in town. And that was thanks in large part to Glen Campbell's insistence. Personally, the guitars just never did much for me, although I found the science behind them fascinating. But to me, one of the joys of owning a guitar is hearing it change and improve over time, and I just never knew Ovations to do that. That's not to say some of them don't sound very good. They obviously do because there are some very big-name players who still play them.

Plus, whenever I played them sitting down, they always seemed to slide off my lap....

Oooh if I could just for 5 minutes in my dreams tonite play with Danny Thompson. . . . He's my favorite double-bass player, and a great innovator too. Just ordered a thick stack of original Pentangle LP's from a friends major collection. He's goin' to India for good.

Yeah, those round bodies slip-slided off ones knees when strapless. The young girl singer I mentioned in the 'Any Horrific Tales' thread had a brownburst model, and we were drawn towards that guitar as much as to her. I never really wanted one though – was goin' for Gibsons and unfortunately wound up inside the O of Norlin.

I now realize your talkin' about Richard from Fairport C. But never mind. . . . let's celebrate them both.

He plays Gibsons and roundbacks so he's okay in my book.

Well, I was going to say something about how he would have to explain to his Creator why he played an Ovation, when Gibsons were made of natural materials and were great guitars, but I decided against it....

In all seriousness, though, whatever he plays, he's a talented songwriter and performer who has inspired lots of people through the years. And he's still making good music.

Hmmm.... a typical O has spruce, walnut, maple, mahogany, ebony, and sometimes abalone. There is that pesky issue of the bowl, which in the early days was fiberglass (now it's sheet molded somehow). It would be neat to see a study of which one is more environmentally friendly, given the amount of (sometimes rare) wood in the sides and back, with all those braces too.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you guys are going to lynch me someday and I'll deserve it. But I have enough Gibsons here to hide behind and you'll have to go through them to get me! [tongue]

Hmmm.... a typical O has spruce, walnut, maple, mahogany, ebony, and sometimes abalone. There is that pesky issue of the bowl, which in the early days was fiberglass (now it's sheet molded somehow). It would be neat to see a study of which one is more environmentally friendly, given the amount of (sometimes rare) wood in the sides and back, with all those braces too.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you guys are going to lynch me someday and I'll deserve it. But I have enough Gibsons here to hide behind and you'll have to go through them to get me! [tongue]

I've always liked the look of Ovations ever since I saw the Cat with one. However, these days it is a case of two convex shapes clashing and the guitar just keeps jumping out of my lap!

This isn't a political, nor a religious forum, most of us agree. But it might turn out to be a philosophical one.

Scene 1 -

"If 2 loudspeakers in an empty room kept playing a loop – say with splendid acoustic Gibson guitar tunes – the whole day, would there be music in that room or not. " says The Teaser.

"Yes, of course. We saw a film of a person pushing the 'play-button' - we can't hear, but we know," says The Believer.

"If no one actually hears the tunes, they do not exist," says The Skeptic.

"Do the music on your records exist when not played ?" says The Teaser.

"Sure, I know it's right there, and can bring it up any moment" says The Believer.

"Not as a frequency in my ear, only as a thought in my memory, a wish to listen or not listen," says The Skeptic.

"My little paradox occurs when I tend to agree with The Believer, but still think that most rules, regulations, doctrines, agreements, provisions isn't anything before interpreted and carried out by human spirit. There's no way around the link of man and his many ways of counting - and that diamond certainly has its pro and cons," says E-minor7.

"What about boiling fever, accidents, weather catastrophes, strange or beautiful coincidences, old fashioned love affairs ?" says The Teaser.

"They are acts of higher powers, meant to punish or reward," says The Ancient.

"They are acts of higher powers," says The Believer.

"They are just coincidences," says The Skeptic.

"Like the roll of a dice in a simple bar ?" says The Teaser.

"I'm afraid so," says The Skeptic.

"Never," says The Believer, "and every rolling dice is a message."

"I call evil upon you," says The Ancient.

"Schhhyyyyyyy !" says E-minor7.

Hi all,

Noticed that Cat Stevens was using what appeared to be a black Gibson at the Sanity rally in Washington - can anyone confirm the model and if it's still being made?

Chris K

Dear Chris K (Newbie and father of this thread) – Hope the line of enthusiastic responses answers your question.

Will look forward to your next.

Archived