Gibson Brands Forums

Need J-45 pickguard

guitom

I need to replace the pickguard on a recent issue J-45. Where can I find a good replacement? or good material to make my own? I'm getting a Mario Proulx tortoloid material for some other guitars, but they all seem to have too much color for a J-45.

I got a great replacement guard for my J-45TV from www.terrapinguitars.com

I went with the firestripe material which is identical to what Gibson uses. There are other materials as well, but I really wanted the firestripe look. It turned out great. I made a trace of my original guard on a piece of paper and sent that in to use as a template to ensure a perfect match.

If I remeber correctly there is also a guy over at the Martin forum (UMGF) who makes more vintage correct Gibson firestripe pickguards. His name has slipped my mind, but if you ask a question in the "Vintage Corner" of the forum he might be able to help.

Lars

• 1 month later...

Check these out at:

www.firestripepickguards.com

James,

Very nice! As I believe I've said here before -- although maybe it was on UMGF -- yours look much closer to the real thing than what Gibson is supplying as original equipment. (Of course, I can see why Gibson might not want to put a $50 pickguard on every AJ they build. [smile])

-- Bob R

I got a great replacement guard for my J-45TV from www.terrapinguitars.com

I got my replacement guard from them also. I went with firestripe also, but in the large '50's style. I think it looks KILLER now! Terrapinguitars.com did a fantastic job! I highly recommend them!

My TV SJ with the new pickguard

DSC00135.jpg

Archived