Gibson Brands Forums

Need some advise on PR-350SR

ryanr

Hello all. Been looking for a new guitar and found an Epiphone PR-350/SR (RNSCHH) in a local shop. I ran the serial number G00092152 and found that it was made February 2000 in Korea. I looked it over and could not find any wear, nicks or scratches. Really looks like it was just pulled from the box. The story from the shop is that they bought a bunch of them a while back and this is the last one. They are asking $499. Is this a good deal?

Thanks for you advice/input.

Ryan

post-26789-056944500 1288681340_thumb.jpg

Its not a bad price their street p[rice was about$650-700.00 and its in line with the blue book of acoustics ( one in 100% shape would list for $600.00 according to the blue book ) and it was made a few years ago ( 2003-2004 ) and its not unusual for a shop to find some NOS and for a solid wood guitar (Rosewoodback/side )if you like it then go for it.Ship and for me I like it more then the Masterbilt line a slightly better guitar all around.

Thanks for you input Ship and geel.

I spoke with Gibson customer service this morning and gave them the serial number. They informed me that this guitar has a solid top with laminate sides and had an original retail of $409. Does this sound right?

Ryan

This is why Gibson's has so much trouble they keep doing re-issues with the same name or designations, how many ways can you do the same piece of wood and you give it so many new names or you keep using older model names and then folks have no idea as to what they have. If they are telling you that it could very well be true, like in all things we only know what we know and I can only assume then that they have re-built an older model and have used the same PR-350/SR. I had one for a short while and it was a solid Rosewood model bought in late 2003 so its a mdoel that I am familar with, but I do not reconize the serial number. Thank goodness they can't mess to much with our older beloved Epi's they are what they are.Thats my rant for today.

But you should ask them why they are using the SR ( solid Rosewood if its a laminate ).Ship

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the two posted here on Ebay are actually PR350, not the SR designation. I have one of the second run PR350-SR guitars....very nice. The first one I received had a chip int eh headstock, but played GREAT. The replacement was pristine, but not as nice a player as the first. I still have it. Its probably worth having, in my opinion, but as others have stated, you can probably get a easily more worth-while instrument for the same sheckles.

I think that the two posted here on Ebay are actually PR350, not the SR designation. I have one of the second run PR350-SR guitars....very nice. The first one I received had a chip int eh headstock, but played GREAT. The replacement was pristine, but not as nice a player as the first. I still have it. Its probably worth having, in my opinion, but as others have stated, you can probably get a easily more worth-while instrument for the same sheckles.

A pic of the interior label....-SR....not /SR

long story on these....

DSC00426.jpg

It would be nice if they straighten out the mess they made with the PR-350's there are so many different models with this designation that all it has served was to confuse most Epi lovers, who knows really what is what with so many models having this model number and then leaving it for us to try and figure out. Almost an impossible task really.

With out a very close look at the guitars themselfs, fustrating for most when it comes to trying to answer questions about these, is it laminate or is it solid wood, when was it made, where was it made and so forth,Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Ship

It would be nice if they straighten out the mess they made with the PR-350's there are so many different models with this designation that all it has served was to confuse most Epi lovers, who knows really what is what with so many models having this model number and then leaving it for us to try and figure out. Almost an impossible task really.

Ship -

Weren't you on the old forum back when these things came out? Big discussions about these being called the "sasquatch"? People had heard about them but never "Actually" saw one.....

I was on as "kmbelmont" then

Yep but they have so many of these PR-350's now that even I can no longer figure out which is which, some laminate some all woods and some that don't make any sense, but it does keep me quessing which is which and I would rather tell someone that it is this one and hopefully not make a mistake.Well what are you going to do, and its all fun and games till someone gets poked in the eye.Ship

and hey nice to see you here to, but I confess I still liked the old forum better, call me old fashion but and Epiphone is always going to be that, seperate from Gibby's to me.

I have a PR350E that I bought used about 1 1/2 years ago. The serial number came up with it being a 1991 manufacture. Information I was able to get from this site and others is that it is a select/laminate top. I paid $125USD. I'm new to this guitar thing and have no intentions to be a collector/snob about my gits. As a newbie, my concern is the sound, fit, feel and playability of the git. I LOVE playing this PR350E. My criteria is/was "Do I enjoy playing it?". Keep It Fun, Dean

• 1 month later...

I have a Korean PR350S from Jan, 2002. It's a solid top, laminate sides, and a thin 'V' neck. Really nice tone, but not real loud. I broke the headstock off almost two years ago, but still can't bear to part with it.

Edit: I just got through gluing it back on. Again. The last time, it seemed fine for a couple of days. Then I noticed the headstock was 'off'. It was slowly separating. It was about this same time that I got my AJ200SR, so I set the PR aside.

Pray for it. pray.gif

• 4 years later...

Archived