Gibson Brands Forums

Sparky

Californiaman

Really? I heard he just went into a old folks home, no offense old folks, be he just had Dementia is what I heard a couple days ago... Must have been worst than they though, of then they told us??

I seen him as well many times. I was working in the suburbs of Detroit in 1984, when we won the world series and horns and fireworks were going off everywhere.... ohmy.gifeusa_angel.gif

I'm sorry to hear that. Sparky seemed to be well liked by his players. I happened to be in Detroit for business about 35 games into the season in '84. The Tigers got off to a fantastic start that year and had the best record in either league. I saw them play the Blue Jays who had the second best record in the bigs up to that point. Dave Bergman hit about 10 foul balls before hitting a homer into the right field bleachers in the 11th (I think) inning to break a tie and win the game. Sparky later said that was the greatest at-bat he had ever seen. He may have meant it, but Sparky also had a reputation for exaggeration/hyperpole ("Kirk Gibson is the next Mickey Mantle").

Anyway, he was a good'un. RIP.

Archived