Gibson Brands Forums

New model: VERY little info!

modoc_333

ok, Gibson looks like they are planning a new model for 2011. it is a Jackson Browne signature model. looks to be mostly a Roy Smeck. it looks like a 12 fret AJ with a deeper body. it has a nice pickup system in it (i forget the name, but will add it tomorrow! it's the type that sticks under the bridge plate). English walnut back and sides, Adi top and bracing. AJ bridge, sunburst, and a AJ 'guard. no word on pricing or if it will be limited. thought i would share what i know!

This sounds very interesting.

Wallnut is a great tone wood. I played a Taylor LTD withe wallnut b/s and it was one of the few Taylors that actually had some geunine warmth and personality.

ok, Gibson looks like they are planning a new model for 2011. it is a Jackson Browne signature model. looks to be mostly a Roy Smeck. it looks like a 12 fret AJ with a deeper body. it has a nice pickup system in it (i forget the name, but will add it tomorrow! it's the type that sticks under the bridge plate). English walnut back and sides, Adi top and bracing. AJ bridge, sunburst, and a AJ 'guard. no word on pricing or if it will be limited. thought i would share what i know!

This is great news. For a cover story I'm writing about Jackson for an upcoming issue of Fretboard Journal, I went on the road with Jackson and band this fall. I played through Jackson's collection of guitars, including his 3 signature model prototypes. His favorite is the walnut version (the other 2 are rosewood and mahogany). A very nice guitar. Jackson uses the Trance Audio Lens pickup, whihc I presume is what Gibson is putting in the signature models.

hmmmn, that's interesting and good news. i had the chance to spend the afternoon with him in the spring. i had my prototype roy smeck JB with me. he had suggested the project was DOA due to a disagreement between Gibson and he as it related to a couple of things. which pick up to use was the biggest issue. glad they worked it out and glad i still have my prototype!

This is great news. For a cover story I'm writing about Jackson for an upcoming issue of Fretboard Journal, I went on the road with Jackson and band this fall. I played through Jackson's collection of guitars, including his 3 signature model prototypes. His favorite is the walnut version (the other 2 are rosewood and mahogany). A very nice guitar. Jackson uses the Trance Audio Lens pickup, whihc I presume is what Gibson is putting in the signature models.

You were close to those 3 precious grails (and the master himself), must have been thrilling. Imagine the rose and hog differed the ways those two woods normally do, but how did the walnut stand out ?

In other words : What is the sonic ambition of Gibsons exiting new release. . .

We have a pair of old ones -- a 1935 Radio Grande (RW) and a 1936 Stage Deluxe(HOG). (No walnut of course.) They are very different birds.

The SD is raw and brassy -- in-your-face, sort of like a giant L-00. The RG is deep and rich and powerful -- very like our old AJ.

I must try these. IMO, the early 30s RG make fine flatpicking guitars, but when I talk to others, they seem either to violently agree or violently disagree. I suspect that this is probably because the RG were not built consistently.

Best,

-Tom

You were close to those 3 precious grails (and the master himself), must have been thrilling. Imagine the rose and hog differed the ways those two woods normally do, but how did the walnut stand out ?

In other words : What is the sonic ambition of Gibsons exiting new release. . .

I played them all. And I played his 2 vintage Smecks (and the other 20 guitars he had on the tour). We sat and played them, handing them back and forth. Too much fun.

The Browne signature Smecks are very nice. 1 3/4 nut width, but otherwise pretty much like a converted original. Predictably, the walnut version sounded like a compromise between the warmth of the rosewood and clarity of the mahogany.

the Trance Audio Lens IS the pickup they are using... and right now the walnut is the only one mentioned. no idea on pricing. i don't think that has even been finalized internally. i'm excited to play one though! i bet they are great!

the Trance Audio Lens IS the pickup they are using... and right now the walnut is the only one mentioned. no idea on pricing. i don't think that has even been finalized internally. i'm excited to play one though! i bet they are great!

This is very good news. I was able to play Jackson's original Smeck armed with the Trance though his stage rig and it sounds tremendous.

Archived