Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200

hoverp

When you are posting you will see a line of icons above the text box. Click on the 6th one over, the one that looks like a mountain with the sun. That will make "img" and "/img" appear in brackets. Copy the url of the individual pic and paste it in between those brackets.

I actually created a pic with the text to show what it should look like:

kmalz.jpg

That's a phony url just to illustrate!

Can any of you Gibson experts shed some light on the "Elite" models from the custom shop?

Does someone have to order a specific one to get built from the custom shop or does the custom shop just use the nicer selections of wood and appointments?

Why did they shut down the Elite line....? or is it still running.

are the luthiers any different from the custom shop or are they all the same?

Just trying to learn the history of my 'Elite Custom" which by the way is beautiful, and sounds awesome!!!

It totally depends on what you order. You can order pretty much anything and have it made up as a "custom". There are a few specific people who handle most of the specialized custom work. However, depending what needs to be done, some of the work on custom model guitars is done by the employees on the line who build all of the regular models.

Ren Ferguson was explaining this to us at this past Homecoming. He said that there's some work that the people on the line can do much better than he can, simply because they do it 50+ times each day. An example of this would be attaching the back/sides. Sure, Ren could do it, but it's also a skill that the regular line does many times over each day and they are probably more consistent at it. The line may put most of the guitar together, but then it would probably go to the custom shop for any fancy inlay work, etc.

Glad to hear that. I'm betting it gives a little boost to team morale also, knowing that "the J45 I'm sanding after lunch" may end up with Jackson Browne's name engraved all over the board.

Sometimes it's nice to blur the ranks or tiers. It keeps the new people motivated and the upper crust grounded.

Can any of you Gibson experts shed some light on the "Elite" models from the custom shop?

Does someone have to order a specific one to get built from the custom shop or does the custom shop just use the nicer selections of wood and appointments?

Why did they shut down the Elite line....? or is it still running.

are the luthiers any different from the custom shop or are they all the same?

Just trying to learn the history of my 'Elite Custom" which by the way is beautiful' date=' and sounds awesome!!! [/quote']

Looking at the Gibson Acoustic website, the J-200 Elite model is no longer listed.

However, my sense continues to be "if you ask for it, they will build it". The J-200 Elite is a nice model, typically using upgraded woods, and mostly, using ebony in place of rosewood and abalone in place of MoP, with an abalone rosette too. And Imperial Grover tuners. Otherwise, the Elite is likely a mostly line-produced guitar, I would guess.

Myself, I ordered a Custom version of the J-200 Elite a few years ago, with koa rather than maple, and red instead of sitka spruce.

Front:

IMGP0695.jpg

Back:

IMGP0710.jpg

A very nice guitar, if you like something that's a little different from the 'standard' SJ-200, and with a few distinctive appointments and details.

Sounds pretty fab too!!

Fred

Just reposted with bigger pics so you could see. I love the Guitar and it sounds every bit as good as it looks..totally flawless!

I have not plugged it in though....are the electronics just a pre amped piezo strip under the saddle?

Thanks

Patrick

Hello Patrick My Friend,

WOW!!! I am so glad you got such a great instrument. It's good to see you finding the Guitar that "Speaks to You", and I must say that it is one of the most BEAUTIFUL Guitars I have ever seen.

I spent some time with the Local Gibson rep last week and it was most informative. I am going to be looking at the Gibson Brand in the near future. The ones him and I played were Fantastically balanced and Awesome Guitars. Congratulations, and welcome to the "WONDERFUL WORLD OF GIBSON GUITARS"!!!!!

Your Friend,

Michael

PS....Yeah, thats right.....I am just following you from Forum to Forum....take That!!!!!....MRT

Wow TWilson.... You've been to Singapore before? She hasn't been to Raffles Place though' date=' but somewhere near there for an acoustic gig.

Actually, is there any big difference between the new SJ-200 and the J-200?[/quote']

Yes, I spent a week in Singapore as a guest of the US Army. I may be wrong, but I think J-200 is just short for SJ-200 and that they are one in the same. Oh, also, I enjoyed Tiger Balm Gardens and "Tiger" beer!

Archived