Gibson Brands Forums

The distance between strings to your neck and brigde pickup

marcofreda

Hi..all,

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard menufactured by 2001.

But I found that the volume of neck is bigger then bridge pickup (volumes are turned to 10).

And the distance between strings to neck pickup is lower then bridge one.

As I know normally brigde should be lower then neck one.

So I wound to know

1. The original setting from menufacture.

2. Or could anyone provide the data on yours Gibson LP STD?

Thanks very much....

Hi there.

Gibson used to print this advice for "Humbucking pickup adjustment"...

"...this dimension to be approximately 1/16th of an inch (1.5mm.) from the underside of the string to the top of the pickup when the string is depressed at the last fret of the fingerboard."

Hope this helps.

P.

Here's how Gibson - Memphis does the final setup on their instruments. Its a post from Dave at Gibson:

Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.

ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64" (I think the 3/64" is a typo, it should be 3/32") , neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

i thought the bridge pickup was closer to the strings because it gives it a brighter sound. and the neck pickup is supposed to be lower because it gives it a warmer or more mellow sound which is what the neck pickup id for

Nope.

P.

• 1 month later...

This might not work for everyones tastes but, I plugged in my LP and set my amp to its cleanest clean setting and adjusted until all the strings sounded full and clear (no distortion). This also seemed to balance the volume between the two pickups.

Archived