Gibson Brands Forums

Got My 60 Reissue yesterday! - Advice please

econtras

So I get my beautiful LP 60 Standard RI from the fedex guy yesterday. It is a beautiful instrument. The action was perfect and low. whatever this pleking thing is, it does the trick. It feels like you are playing on a stick of butter, just silky smooth. Thank you Gibson Custom. Im in love.

Here is where I need advice. Now me being a ****** I see what I think is a little piece of dust and very, very lightly try to get it off with my fingernail. BIG MISTAKE. Now the LP is a VOS so it already has a worn in look, but I wanted to tear my hair out for being such a tool. It left some light surface scrathing/scuffing, got to hold it just right to see it type thing, but it's there. Any way to "buff it out" or should I just kiss it to make myself feel better? Please everyone's advice is welcome. If someone has a way to fix it, please advise. If their is no simple way then be damned gods of fate.

Hey econtras--

My instinct? Consider it baptized into your household, and now you don't need to worry about the finish so much and can focus on playing. The first scratch/dent/scuff is always the worst to bear (barring that some idiot doesn't knock your guitar off the stand in the basement or garage some day), but once it's there, the guitar is yours to play. Every guitar gets these over the years, and they are signs of a guitar that is loved because it is an instrument and not because it is an investment.

Ignatius

Thanks Gents, I figured as much, the admin posted a response on the next thread detailing the best way to care for VOS was to leave it alone except for occasional light dusting, so I learned my lesson.

It is a really nice sounding guitar. The tone is warm, crisp and crunchy and it feels really playable because of the low action and set up. It does feel like a guitar that has been worn in, weird sensation. I think the neck is a little shorter than some more current models, but bends sound accurate and precise.

The finish is very thin according to the admin so I hope it still has the same lasting power as other finishes, even though I've already given it it's first love mark, i don't want it looking like Trigger any time soon.

Archived