Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Young Epiphone

acdcman2345

HAs anyone heard anything about Epiphone making a Angus young signiture. i love there guitars and i dont have 2300 to drop on a gibson. im thinking of buying another epi sg and putting the angus young pickup in. heard anything on the topic! they got to make one :-)

-ACDCMAN2345-

I bought an SG Special because I couldn't afford a standard.. I've had it for about 8 years. Now I can afford a standard, but I don't want one. My Special does everything I need.

I also have a Gibson ES359 custom and an Epiphone (Sheraton) too, it's great but my Gibsons are better (sound, stable tuning, feel, look etc). It's worth saving up. Make sure you try them out properly before you buy. Some Gibsons are cr*p.

on the other hand....

My buddy has an Epiphone LP custom, he loves it and even though he has enough cash at the moment, he's not interested in getting the Gibson version.

I have both an Epi and Gibson SG. The Epi is a prophecy custom, the Gibson is a Classic with P90s. Both are excellent guitars. I find the neck on the Epi an easier profile to play on but the finish on the Gibson is better. I am happy with both. I wouldnt bother about an Angus signature unless you want it as a collector piece. If you want a guitar to play get the best standard you can afford, be that an epi G400, epi prophecy or a Gibson Classic/Standard. Personally, I would skip the "entry lev"el Gibsons

Here, I know it's from Wikipedia, but it's rock and roll, how much footnoting do you need?

Wikipedia;

Angus Young and Gibson Guitar Corporation have collaborated to make the Angus Young Signature SG, which is special in several ways.[9]

The model features a pickup designed by Young himself (the Angus Young Signature Humbucker) in the bridge position, and a '57 Classic Humbucker in the neck. The headstock features Young's famous "devil schoolboy" engraved picture, and the tremolo bar features Angus's name instead of the Gibson logo. The guitar has a rosewood fretboard, trapezoid fret inlays, a signature black pickguard, 22 frets, antique cherry finish,[10] and nickel hardware. The volume and tone knobs are of the "witch-hat" style, the SG also sports the standard 3-way pickup selector switch. This signature model is unique in that Angus himself does not use his signature model either live or in the studio.

The second, recently released Angus Young SG, is available in two variants, both which are different from the first. The Gibson Custom Shop version is based on a 70's SG Standard, it features genuine pearl lightning bolt inlays instead of the standard plastic trapezoidal inlays. It has no Maestro Tremolo, and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbuckers (modified in the bridge position); it has 22 frets and an Aged Cherry finish. The fretboard is made from ebony and the most unusual feature compared to other SGs is that the very thin neck is constructed from maple. This model also for a limited time can be bought aged by Gibson USA and signed by Angus Young himself although the Gibson USA version cannot.

The lower cost Gibson USA variant is based on a 1960's SG Reissue, featuring a smaller pickguard. It too has lightning bolt inlays, though smaller and made from plastic, and '57 Classic in neck position and an Angus Young Signature Humbucker pickup in bridge position. It is available only in Ebony.

It could happen. Epi have relaesed all sorts. "Slash" LPs and various Zak Wyld (Did I spell that right)nonsense for example. Im pretty sure Slash is a Gibson kinda guy just like Angus and even Zak must be able to afford a real guitar by now!

Or you make your own Angus...

I have an SG faded and installed old Gibson paf humbuckers in my SG, installed another trusrodd cover and a original Gibson Angus Maestro Lyra..

HPIM3605.jpg

HPIM3610.jpg

HPIM3609.jpg

HPIM3611.jpg

HPIM3612.jpg

HPIM3613.jpg

HPIM3614.jpg

I also like Neil Young to....

HPIM3619.jpg

HPIM3620.jpg

HPIM3623.jpg

Nice rigs man...where do i get the Gibson Angus Maestro Lyra..???

There normaly not available as a replacement part ( I hope there will be a day that Gibson sales there own replacement parts, like Vibrola's etc.).

I bought it from a guy who works in a guitar store, they had a Gibson SG "Angus", but it was wrecked by accidant and was beyond repair. :( ](*,)[scared]

They took of the good parts and one of those parts, was the Meastro and I bought it.

I know that All-Parts sales Maestro's, but it has no logo's on it.

Nice job geert. It's nothin' more satisfying than making something with your own hands. Does it sound good?

Yes, they both sound very good, I must admit I have a strong Gibson fetish, I own ten....

Nothing beats a Gibson, I do have a few Fenders, but....... [cursing] I hate them.

The SG sounds great, I love SG's, the shape, the sounds etc.

The LP sound good also, but I'm planning to replace the neck-humbucker for a Gibson P94 (I love Neil Young's "old Black")

Archived