Gibson Brands Forums: Tobias/Gibson Model History - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tobias/Gibson Model History

#1 User is offline   pfgolfer 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

Wondering how to find some information regarding the history and specifications for our older Gibson Tobias models?

I've got a mid 90's Growler 5 string that has two 3-way toggle switches, two stacked tone knobs, volume and blender knobs, with the Bartolini pickup. It originally had the Grover bridge (I believe that was the model) but when they came out with the ABM bridge on the newer ones I had mine changed out with one of those. I'm glad I did, it made the sound and feel a lot better, at least to me.

I believe it's a swamp ash body which is why I ended up here looking for any care tips for the bass and this wood.

If anyone knows of any sites mainting this type of historical information please share, it would be much appreciated.

Update: I did find out that Michael Tobias only worked for/with Gibson through serial number 2044. Mine is in the 5000 range so it's definitely a full Gibson production. Not sure if it was while he was obligated to consult for 1 year though.

#2 User is offline   pfgolfer 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

I couldn't find any information online so I wrote an email to Gibson and actually received a reply with product information for my model which is a 1996 5-string Tobias Growler. I've attached it here in case anyone else is looking for it. Thanks Gibson!

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users