Gibson Brands Forums

1966 epiphone sg g400 (cherry)

acdcman2345

so i whent to guitar center yesterday and saw the Epi limited 1966 sg. it felt great. i deff going to buy this guitar. i love th full gibson pick guard. also the pickups sounded great. the high-output Alnico Classic humbuckers. i still think ill get a angus young humbucker for the bridge. anyone else have or seen or played this guitar? if not deff check it out if you ever se it. ill be going back very soon to buy or order one.

im going to drop the angus young pickup and a '57 humbucker in the neck. thats should help with the pickup issues iv been hearing out i hope. i have a epi faded g400 and it doesnt feel anywhere as good to me as the 66'. the feel is awesome. im sure it has something to do with the slimmer neck.

The '66 sure is a special guitar from Epiphone. Mine plays completely different than my 2001 G-400. I mean its a totally different guitar really. Mine is from the Gibson/QingDao factory (EE) and has to be one of the better Epiphone models available. I can't help myself from telling everyone I know about it! It's the best $400 I've ever spent. I personally would keep it if offered a Gibson SG Special for trade. I know that sounds crazy but it's my guitar and my choice! Did I mention I really like this guitar? Oh by the way, I want a black one too!

The '66 sure is a special guitar from Epiphone. Mine plays completely different than my 2001 G-400. I mean its a totally different guitar really. Mine is from the Gibson/QingDao factory (EE) and has to be one of the better Epiphone models available. I can't help myself from telling everyone I know about it! It's the best $400 I've ever spent. I personally would keep it if offered a Gibson SG Special for trade. I know that sounds crazy but it's my guitar and my choice! Did I mention I really like this guitar? Oh by the way, I want a black one too!

I feel the exact same way about my '04 Vintage Faded Brown G-400 with the neck binding. That guitar plays like a dream and two of my friends who have played it are now on the lookout for one of their own, when they aren't trying to walk out the door with mine that is. LOL

Now I'm looking for the same guitar in the Faded Cherry finish to have the set. Just missed one last week on a local classified ads site but I'm sure one will come around again.

And a little tip for those with neck diving problems...I bought my SG used and the previous owner had added some counterbalance weight, taping it to the inside of the control cavity cover. The added weight is negligible when playing the guitar and the balance is perfect. A very simple solution to a common problem.

Glad I found this post as i have a question regarding the 66 reissue.

I was going to purchase the G400 '61 worn brown this week, then today I saw the G400 '66 in silver/black. Gorgeous guitar and with a full pick guard.

I cannot find much info on any difference between these two guitars other than the Epiphone site says the '66 has has a different tailpiece? Are the electronics and wood and general build the same for both of these? I have read a LOT about the 2010 G400 particular being good guitars but not sure if this '66 reissue falls into that?

Appreciate any feedback, if they are pound for pound the same guitar I'll go with the '66...

Thanks,

Rick

The Epiphone G-400 '66 Reissue features:

- Alnico Classic humbuckers

- Nickel hardware

- Licensed Grover tuners

- Mahogany neck and body

- Set neck construction

- Rosewood fingerboard with "trapezoid" inlays

- "Batwing" style pickguard

- Colors available: Ebony, Heritage Cherry, and Silverburst.

They are the same guitar.

The only reason they are different is because they were made in different factories.

I'll put my '62 G400 up against any '66 G400 around.

My G400 is a 2006 EE.

Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated!

It seems the Silverburst is hard to find and I don't feel like having it shipped so I'm now in a toss up between the '66 faded cherry and the '61 worn brown. Might go with the '61 worn brown, kinda like that leather look with the brown and black.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated!

It seems the Silverburst is hard to find and I don't feel like having it shipped so I'm now in a toss up between the '66 faded cherry and the '61 worn brown. Might go with the '61 worn brown, kinda like that leather look with the brown and black.

Cheers

Be aware that the current faded series are not the same guitars as the previous vintage series like I have. The older Vintage series has a bound neck which gives a great feel. They also have a one piece neck, not sure about the newer ones. A friend of mine tried out the new faded after playing mine and decided to hit the used market to find one with the neck binding instead. But that could also be the result of my Seymour Duncan pups as much as anything else.

Whichever one you buy, I'm sure that you'll be happy with it. They are great guitars for the price!

Be aware that the current faded series are not the same guitars as the previous vintage series like I have. The older Vintage series has a bound neck which gives a great feel. They also have a one piece neck, not sure about the newer ones. A friend of mine tried out the new faded after playing mine and decided to hit the used market to find one with the neck binding instead. But that could also be the result of my Seymour Duncan pups as much as anything else.

Whichever one you buy, I'm sure that you'll be happy with it. They are great guitars for the price!

Thanks I'm sure I will! Apparently the faded cherry 66 is the last one available where i am and they can't order anymore being it's discontinued so might jump on it. Regarding the faded series I've seen a lot of people talking about how good the 2010 ones were in the g400? Ultimately which ever neck feels better between the '62 and the '66 will be the deciding factor, they're too similar it seems otherwise.

There's a brown Vintage with the neck binding on ebay right now for $249.99 if you're interested. I wasn't looking for a brown one when I came across mine but I found the finish to be irrestible and couldn't let it get away. I might have paid a bit too much for her at $350, but she came with a new hard case and new Seymour Duncan pups (Pearly Gates in the neck and a JB-SH4 in the bridge) and I fell in love. I don't regret one cent of what she cost me. [biggrin]

I don't think they should have even bothered with calling it "1966" version. The real 1966 SG had P-90s and the only reason I would buy this Epi version is if it did also. It doesn't have the correct neck joint as a 1966 either. The only difference from the regular G-400 that I can see is the pickguard and I prefer the regular G-400 style guard. They should just offer a version with the full pickguard all of the time instead of this whole "Limited Edition" thing. It seems like every other new guitar that comes out is a "Limited Edition".

I don't think they should have even bothered with calling it "1966" version. The real 1966 SG had P-90s and the only reason I would buy this Epi version is if it did also. It doesn't have the correct neck joint as a 1966 either. The only difference from the regular G-400 that I can see is the pickguard and I prefer the regular G-400 style guard. They should just offer a version with the full pickguard all of the time instead of this whole "Limited Edition" thing. It seems like every other new guitar that comes out is a "Limited Edition".

I agree with you.

If it had come with P90s I would have got one. But instead it's just some model they created themself and called it a 1966.

It ain't a 1966 at all.

I don't buy a guitar because of what a company decides to name it. I buy a guitar because of the way it plays, sounds, feels and looks. If all those things make me happy, they could call it whatever the hell they want and it won't make a difference to me. Do you think any normal person watching and hearing you play cares if it's a '66, a '61 or a 2010? All they care about is that whatever you happen to be playing sounds good to their ears.

Do you think any normal person watching and hearing you play cares if it's a '66, a '61 or a 2010? All they care about is that whatever you happen to be playing sounds good to their ears.

I couldn't care less what some "normal person" (whoever that is) thinks about my guitar at all.

All I care about is what I think about it.

And that's what I stated.

And yes, I do care what they call it.

Perhaps it means nothing to you, but it does to some folks.

I couldn't care less what some "normal person" (whoever that is) thinks about my guitar at all.

All I care about is what I think about it.

And that's what I stated.

And yes, I do care what they call it.

Perhaps it means nothing to you, but it does to some folks.

+1 Well said good sir!

• 2 months later...

Archived