Gibson Brands Forums

Round Picks

Ken Rayba

Some friends of mind came up with the idea of a round pick. They took their picks to the spring NAMM Show in Nashville this year and won award.

I've never tried them, but here is their link: www.pointlesspicks.com

You can check them out for yourself.

Haha' date=' love the name.... pointless picks! I often spin my pick around and play with the rounded edge 'cause you get a more muted softer sound. Good on them for coming up with a new idea.[/quote']

i always play with the fat end of the pick. i even had a teacher grab it out of my hand once and try to turn it around.

I tried em'. Didn't care for it. I like to be able to adjust on the fly for a different attack. With a round pick you have no options.

Why would you want no options?

Best of luck.

Murph.

I bought a " django button" round pick at merlefest from one vendor in the tent

it is pretty thick at .054 , and one side has a cameo of django, the other has the four holes painted in the center to make it look like a shirt button, with django button printed on it also

I guess django used a button from a shirt to pick with !

this pick has a very warm pleasing tone , I like it to tone down brighter guitars

I thought it would work great because I use the rounded end of triangle picks and hold it like Doc Watson with very little sticking out, maybe 1/8 of an inch.......

I bought a " django button" round pick at merlefest from one vendor in the tent

it is pretty thick at .054 ' date=' and one side has a cameo of django, the other has the four holes painted in the center to make it look like a shirt button, with django button printed on it also

I guess django used a button from a shirt to pick with !

this pick has a very warm pleasing tone , I like it to tone down brighter guitars

I thought it would work great because I use the rounded end of triangle picks and hold it like Doc Watson with very little sticking out, maybe 1/8 of an inch.......[/quote']

I think 'Hot Club' jazz picks, of the Django Reinhardt style, are pick shaped but made of stone. They're quite spendy. He... or anyone for that matter could use a button in a pinch. Heck I've used a bread wrapper clip before. Sounds awful... but it works. Then again, maybe someone is selling buttons as Django pics with a healthy mark-up! =P~

After seeing this thread a few days ago I contacted Doug about purchasing some picks. He generously sent me four sets for free. I received them today and you know what...I like them! I play acoustic only in a hybrid style, flatpick and two fingerpicks. I use a mandolin pick which is very much like the rounded end of a standard pick. I mention this because I was already used to a rounder pick. If you decide to give them a try allow yourself some time. It's a different beast but it didn't take long for me to be comfortable with it. Of the three, I like the heavy(blue) the best. Anyway, something a bit different in my tone bag that seems to help my technique. And the price was right!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived