Gibson Brands Forums

A Jorma-designed Gibson acoustic?

Dave in SLC

The earlier thread about Jorma's acoustic guitars reminded me of the rumor about a Jorma-designed acoustic mentioned in past years. Has anyone heard anything further about this?

And here's another vote for inviting Jorma to next year's Homecoming! +:-@

Dave in SLC

The earlier thread about Jorma's acoustic guitars reminded me of the rumor about a Jorma-designed acoustic mentioned in past years. Has anyone heard anything further about this?

Well' date=' since no one else has responded, I'll contribute what little I know. Back in February, Jorma was in frequent phone contact with Ren about this. (Martin had just offered to do a Jorma signature model, but Jorma wanted to give Gibson a shot at it first because of his long-term relationship with the guys in Bozeman.) The plan was to make it a copy of his '92 custom J-35 -- which is apparently actually an AJ-35, but whatever -- right down to fancy truss rod cover. Jorma shipped the guitar off to Gibson so that Ren could get the specs (and do a partial refret) in March, and talk was that prototypes would be ready in about 6 weeks. The refret got done and the guitar was returned to Jorma. But when I asked Ren about the project in June, and he told me the specs still weren't settled. So, while there's definitely been some progress, I'm not holding my breath.

TAnd here's another vote for inviting Jorma to next year's Homecoming!

By popular demand, an invitation has been issued.

-- Bob R

The AJ-35 has a long scale' date=' Jorma's guitar is short scale (so I was led to believe by Jorma).[/quote']

According to both Fishman and one of the guys who worked in the Custom Shop when it was built, it's an AJ-35 -- which doesn't really rule out a short scale, even though the spec for the AJ-35 was long-scale. Hey, it's Gibson!

THe truss rod cover is available from Fur Peace Ranch or it used to be.

It's still available: I included a link in my previous post.

-- Bob R

Archived