Gibson Brands Forums

Dating from pot codes...

pippy

Noticed something of an oddity in my R9 pot cavity.

The pot codes read;

R137931 440 70035 A.

According to the pot-dater site this means they were made by the CTS company in the 31st week of either 1949 or 1959

Surely that can't be correct?

Anyone out there know what they are?

Thanks in advance.

P.

Not a clue here. I'm probably blowing smoke out my ___ but since it's on a reissue and there is an R prefix on the pot code, suppose they actually went so far as to make the pots a la '59 as well? Maybe the R stands for reissue?

I don't even know what would be different about a '59 pot anyway... never know!

Ah Pippy, I can't compare it to my six R9s as they have yet to arrive.....My knowedge is nothing more than a simple THUD !!!

LOL!

The shop just said it was a second-hand Les Paul...If they date from 1959 then perhaps it isn't a re-issue at all!

P.

EDIT :

Not a clue here. I'm probably blowing smoke out my ___ but since it's on a reissue and there is an R prefix on the pot code, suppose they actually went so far as to make the pots a la '59 as well? Maybe the R stands for reissue?

Funnily enough that's exactly what I think is the case, ksdaddy.

The anomaly only came to light through a chance discussion over on another forum. I was comparing the tones from both my R9 and R0 (I had posted a very short clip of me playing both to illustrate the tonal differences) and someone who used to hang out here (Thermionik) suggested either the pots or caps were different. The R0 has the usual (I am guessing here) 500k CTS pots but the R9s were as mentioned above.

The underside of the maple cap has also been re-worked suggesting the pots may not be the original ones. It is, of course, just possible that a previous owner of the instrument found a set of '59 pots and had them fitted but I doubt that very much indeed!

P.

Where's L5Larry when you really need his expertise!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, BUT......

I'm not familiar with a six-digit pot code, nor one with the prefix "R". I've certainly never heard of a "reissue" pot, that would be a little ridiculous, since the functional design of potentiometers hasn't ever changed.

Are you sure you haven't dropped a digit in writing it down? I would DOUBLE CHECK the number. "137" IS the mfg code for CTS, but I would think there should be four digits after that. From the other "part number" tells me it is what WE would call a 500K audio taper (440 = 500K ohms, "A" = audio taper).

It might also help to know exactly what guitar, model, year, serial number (etc), those pots are in.

Sorry I couldn't be of definitive help.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, BUT......

I'm not familiar with a six-digit pot code, nor one with the prefix "R". I've certainly never heard of a "reissue" pot, that would be a little ridiculous, since the functional design of potentiometers hasn't ever changed.

Are you sure you haven't dropped a digit in writing it down? I would DOUBLE CHECK the number. "137" IS the mfg code for CTS, but I would think there should be four digits after that. From the other "part number" tells me it is what WE would call a 500K audio taper (440 = 500K ohms, "A" = audio taper).

It might also help to know exactly what guitar, model, year, serial number (etc), those pots are in.

Sorry I couldn't be of definitive help.

Hi there Larry.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, actually you have been of help as I didn't know that the 440 stood for 500k! That's more important for my enquiry than you may imagine!

The instrument in question is one of the early 'Historic Division' 1959 Les Paul re-issues. It was made in 1993 and, according to the serial number, was the 131st R9 built (serial number = 9 3131 which translates as (195)9 reissue; made in (199)3; instrument number 131. It can be dated as 1993 as opposed to 2003 by the 'Historic Collection' waterslide on the rear of the peghead/neck area (which was only used for about one year).

As far as the numbers go; here are a couple of snaps of two pots. Originally I thought that between them they showed the serial number in full, but I suspect that you are 100% correct; there must be a further number buried beneath the solder! I could only just see the top of a very faint '1' and guessed - erroneously - that it was the final digit.

R9pot2crop.jpg

R9pot1crop.jpg

Hmmm...............I'm not too keen on removing the solder from any of the pots but the main points that I wanted to know have been answered - namely; are these CTS pots?; and are they 500k?

As the answers to both questions are 'yes' then they should be, in effect, identical to the pots which are in my '95 R0 Les Paul. These carry a different numbering system although they would appear to be the same thing...or am I wrong? These read EP 086 500k 0437 and when I typed this into Google it immediately brought up;

'CTS 500k short-shaft as used on certain Gibson Historic models'

Thanks for your help.

P.

Pippy, I held off on this response as long as I could.......When I say the title " Dating from pot codes " 411 poped into my mind !

Damian;

Living, as I do, in England I hadn't the foggiest idea of what you meant; so Googled '411'.

It's amazing what turns up...

"411.com is a part of the world's largest and most trusted source for find people and businesses!"

"The 411 were a four-piece English female R&B group formed late in 2002..."

"411 video productions brings you 411VM Skateboarding, 411VM Snowboarding and other video titles..."

"Nicki Minaj's major-label debut Pink Friday is finally here, but can it live up to all the hype? 411's Aaron Titan checks in with his full review!..."

"Welcome to The 411, my column answering all your questions about cell phones and cell phone accessories..."

You meant the 'Pink Friday' one right?....

LOL!

P.

Pippy,

It's evident to me (from the second photo) that you are unable to 'cipher the last digit due to the solder. With this in mind (and the fact you say it is a 1993 guitar), the number would fit the standard seven-digit format. 137 = CTS, 93 = 1993, and the "1" plus the (assumed) unknown number would indicate an early (week 10-19) '93 for the manufacture date.

Archived