Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge retaining wire

The.Traffic.Lights

Well, today after playing an hour or so I noticed that my tuning is strangely off, but didn't pay attention to it. Now, cleaning the strings, I noticed that the retaining wire on the bridge raised ABOVE the screws on the G and D saddles (so there was nothing between the screws and the bridge). When screwing the screws I noticed that the G screw was wobbly (going up and down each turn, pushing the wire out), while D wobbles only slightly.

Unfortunately, I cannot take pictures of it today. Can you tell me at least anything without them?

PS: Maybe, I should just swap the f***ing bridge? Can you suggest anything from Thomann for an Epi LP Standart?

Get a new bridge - Gotoh 1511 will work. There are others, but the Gotoh does the job nicely.

Scroll down and read some reviews.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.html

I'm in the States so I don't know anything about Thomann.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

+1...

The good part is the screws lock on with a nut on the back side of the bridge...no retaining wire!

Thomann carries what I believe to be the same bridge but they only list it in nickel:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gotoh_ge103bt_bk.htm

You would have to contact them to see if they have it in chrome. It is 30 Euros.+ shipping.

I checked out JC's link to Stewmac as that is the bridge I put on my Epi LP Standard.

Their price in Euros is 16.33

I also put Latvia as a shipping destination. It was 7.47 Euros.

Total cost 23.80 Euros.

What I don't know is if you would have to pay an import tax.

It would also take 2-4 weeks delivery.

Just make sure that you order the metric. Epi post size are not the same as on American LPs.

Willy

Once you get your intonation set and the wire properly seated (it may take a little "bend" to accomplish this), you should be fine. When changing strings do it one at a time and everything should remain in it's proper place.

Well, today after playing an hour or so I noticed that my tuning is strangely off, but didn't pay attention to it. Now, cleaning the strings, I noticed that the retaining wire on the bridge raised ABOVE the screws on the G and D saddles (so there was nothing between the screws and the bridge). When screwing the screws I noticed that the G screw was wobbly (going up and down each turn, pushing the wire out), while D wobbles only slightly.

Unfortunately, I cannot take pictures of it today. Can you tell me at least anything without them?

PS: Maybe, I should just swap the f***ing bridge? Can you suggest anything from Thomann for an Epi LP Standart?

String pressure will hold the saddles firmly in place, the retaining wire is there to keep the saddles from falling out if you break a string. Imagine you're on a dark stage, a string breaks, your saddle falls out!!! You spend the rest of the song on all fours searching desperately for it!!! Other than that, the retaining wire does little but rattle and annoy the hell out of me!!!

+1 on a Gotoh. Good quality, better designed than the ABR-1, plus it's reasonably priced (at least in the USA).

If you don't want to get a new bridge, as L5Larry says, you can bend the wire to contact each screw. Put something to protect the guitar top under the bridge, and take two flat blade screwdrivers. Press down on the wire each side of a screw till the wire touches it, and repeat the process for each screw. You may have to do this a couple of times to get them all touching. That wobbly screw would probably make me want to replace the bridge though, if I couldn't fix the wobble.

Hi!

Any other options, maybe with more saddle adjustment length?

As far as I know, the Gotoh has more adjustment length as the Epiphone bridge. A further option would be a Tonepros bridge, but that baby is double the price of the Gotoh. There's also a bridge from Düsenberg that fits and I heard it's even better than the Gotoh for nearly the same price. Contact Thomann by mail for further infornation ... they have more in stock regarding their German site than you see on their English site.

BTW ... I had the same intonation problem with my D string ... the saddle was at the back end and the intonation was still 5 cent sharp. And guess what: It was a bad string ... after changing from GHS Boomers 9-46 to D'daddrio EXL100 in 10-46 gauge the intontion is perfect on all strings. So maybe check a different string set first.

Archived