Explorer E/2 - Dedicated Post

Andy R

family1.jpg

2078_0103Image0012.jpg

2009_1219Image0014.jpg

2009_1219Image0020.jpg

e22009.jpg

family2.jpg

Hey nice guitars! Is the burgundy one a factory color or a refinish? I like what you did with that one looks nice. You also have 2 of the other E2's I want to get. The maple walnut sandwich and the Tobacco Sunburst. I have the Walnut Maple Sandwich and the Cherry Sunburst. I also noticed that you photo links are posted under the category of DeanML79. Do you have a 79 Dean ML? I had a a 79 Burgundy Dean Explorer that I (gulp) sold for 100.00 when I was desperate..... Anyway thanks for sharing on here and getting things rolling!

The transwine one was a total custom refinish, I sold it for $1700 on eBay. You will notice the multiply binding on it, something factory CMT e/2's did not have. The neck joint was shaved and smoothed for smootest transition. It's funny because a bass player bought it, quit playing bass and fondles the Purple Poser Eater more then his wife [biggrin]

I also sold the CMT in stripped down form to a friend that was jonsing for it. I kept the TRC, TP-6 and the Gibson bridge

I am currently looking for a Les Paul Standard or Deluxe now so I am offering the beveled maple/walnut model in even trade for the right Les Paul

Here is a Skyshot of it

e2skyshot1.jpg

For the right Les Paul, I will even include a set of orignal e/2 Dirty Finger's. The maple version is the rarest of the beveled e/2 line. The walnut topped ones were the most produced and weighed about 4-5 lbs less. All the painted beveled e/2s were the walnut topped versions ones. Mine weighs in at just over 12lbs

If anyone is interested in a Les Paul trade, shoot me a PM. I am not really interested in chambered or weight-relieved models. The newer Black Beauty Classic would be the exception

Regarding the Dean's I have owned probably close to 25 of them and will own more. USA Dean's are like Pringle's, one is never enough. They truly are incredibly well made instruments

That's a beautiful E2...I used to have a walnut top like that one back in the 80's(had a cracked headstock & never had it fixed..Have you played one of the cheaper Schenker Custom Flame V Deans....how are they? good bang for the buck or don't bother?thanks :)

I am assumig that they are based on the '79 import series and if so, they are a lot of bang for the buck. The USA Schenker V kicks butt

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have an '81 E2 in the finish below which I picked up in the late 90's for £450. I've never been able to find much information out about the E2 online, so I'm very grateful to have found this thread. I've also never seen another picture of the E2 in the same finish as mine, as yours is in the picture. I had no idea mine was the rarer beveled maple version.

EDIT: I just plugged the serial number into http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx and it came back with:

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

May 10th, 1981

Production Number: 10

The fourth digit is a little hard to read, so it could be May 11th.

Mine is pretty beaten up, it wasn't in good shape when I got it and I will admit I haven't looked after it particularly well as I wasn't aware of its rarity until fairly recently. It was modified before I bought it, with an active EMG and another pickup split between a rail and poles. Both pickups have brass mounts, and the nut, selector switch and electronics cover are also brass. The fine tuning bridge's finish is flaking and it's missing a couple of the fine tuning knobs (again, like that when I bought it). The only mods I've done to it are to add strap locks (as it wouldn't stay on the originals!) and to tidy up the electronics a bit. the volume pot for the bridge pickup is a bit dodgy and only works on full volume.

I've often wondered about getting it professionally restored, as there are lots of dings and nicks in the finish, some caused by me, others from the previous owner. I would appreciate some feedback on that. It's an amazing guitar to play, but I've retired it from stage work as it's just too heavy to use onstage (I'm a small guy!).

e2skyshot1.jpg

The maple version is the rarest of the beveled e/2 line. The walnut topped ones were the most produced and weighed about 4-5 lbs less. All the painted beveled e/2s were the walnut topped versions ones. Mine weighs in at just over 12lbs

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...