Gibson Brands Forums

es335 1-3/4" necks

kevin29

I have an original 63/64 thin neck es-335 TDC that my grandpa gave me 25 years ago. I am now learning more about it and trying to improve it in some ways. It came with a Maestro Tremolo tailpiece which was shorter and bolted just a couple inches behind a Custom Made plate. I think the plate is covering bolt holes for a stop tailpiece.

I'm ok with this tailpiece and don't think its is causing any issues. It keeps the orig look without exposing screw holes.

I am replacing the orig ABR-1 or looking for the best alternative. It has the orig nylon saddles that buzz.

I have a nashville that seems to move a little on the orig posts and the saddles are not tall enough to keep strings from buzzing on it when it tilts backward having the saddles toward the rear.

The neck is 1-3/4" at the nut and tapers wider toward the base. I tend to favor 1-11/16 necks on les pauls better, but I can live with this. You can slip off this neck if your not careful. Are the 335 reissues using 1-11/16 necks now? I can see this would be an improvement. Ok, I guess the reissues model 59' specs and the newer 335's may have the 1-11/16 as a modification. What are your thoughts on 335 1-3/4" necks? I am not sure I would consider replacing the neck on my orig 335 if that seems too destructive, but wouldn't that be cool to replace this block ebony one with a dot rosewood fatter one?

This is the first 335 I have heard of with a 1 3/4" neck. As far as I know, the 335 nut width was originally 1 11/16", then from about 1965 to the late 1970's, it was usually 1 9/16" or 1 5/8", then it went back to the original 1 11/16".

How do you like the guitar? I own a 1967 and I really love it, butI have never played a 335 older than my own. I'm afraid I might want to splurge for an older on if I did! :D

Do you mean a 355 or a 335? I believe the 355 necks became narrow as early as '63 or so (the 335 was wide until '65). Since you mentioned wanting rosewood, I guess you have a 355 then?

Please post pics if you have any!

Here's my beloved '67, narrow neck and all:

ES-335-01.JPG

Archived