Gibson Brands Forums

Paul Simon

cookieman15061

I think a truly great artist not only does is own great material but can take another's material and make it his own.

Paul Simon is not only one of our greatest American songwriters ( both melody and lyrics) but here he does a version of Brian Wilson's Surfer Girl and it's no less beautiful than the original.

PS. He's a pretty good guitar picker too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmjj5Orjnl0

Awesome talent! Loads of great songs that span decades :D

What a body of work he has, and look at the number of various musical genre's/styles he's written in.

Saw him in concert in the early 90's. Just an awesmoe show.

What a body of work he has, and look at the number of various musical genre's/styles he's written in.

Saw him in concert in the early 90's. Just an awesmoe show.

Yeah I saw him and Brian Wilson on tour together back in 2001. Talk about your American songbooks! I was front row for that and loved every second.

The very first songbook I ever bought was "The Songs of Paul Simon" in about '77.

I bought it essentially (and rather naiively) to help me with chordwork. Mostly it worked out for me very well indeed but it also scared me somewhat...some of them were just a wee bit tricky, to put it mildly!

It also made me listen in great detail to the songs themselves and, through doing this, I learned so much about how to appreciate 'music' in a general sense. Magnificent stuff.

Very few songwriters have been anywhere near as talented. IMHO.

P.

For me, Paul Simon is a uniquely talented artist...bringing together resonant lyrics with high musicality

Working with Art Garfunkel created an unbeatable duo having huge and deserved success

Simon is one of the few American artists to pay dues in the UK...and partly for that reason has a special place in Brits' hearts

Open minded and creative...he has moved across several genres of music with wit and humour alongside more serious social comment....

V

:-({|=

You gotta love his playing and singing.

For me, the 4 S&G albums - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme, Bookends, Sounds of Silence & Bridge Over Troubled Water - for an incredible body of work.

But my most favouritist song has to be Father & Daughter.

Copped this from a Paul Simon song book.

scan002.jpg

I like his music. He's a bit of a nut. The book had an introduction that explained, that while the title said it was complete, he left a couple songs he composed out which he didn't much care for. He went on to explain how he used 'consciousness' composing. Whereby, he take the first word that pops into his head, then the next then the next, then composes a ballad around that. Sounds a bit nutty, but it works for him. He says he likes words that begin with C and G.

:unsure:

Archived