Gibson Brands Forums

Happy New Guitar Day To Me !!!

DennisMiller

Finally... UPS arrived about 30 minutes before I have to leave the house. All I've had time to do is tune it, play it and try the switch and controls to make sure everything works. The guitar is set with action so good you could hammer and pull all day while your right hand went out and made you a living. Sounds good, feels good, I'm happy.

And it came with the Epi E pre-broken off the pickguard, straight from the factory.

DSCN3125.jpg

Dennis,

I've been checking the forum on and off all day for this .

It's kind of funny but when someone on the forum knows something like this is coming we all seem to get a

little excited with anticipation.

I was told once that "the trick in life is to remain child-like without being childish."

Maybe that's part of it.

So, without further ado:

Congrats.gif

She's a beauty!!!

Willy

Congratulations. Knob changes are always good and really do help appearances. I had a Dot Deluxe with all the gold on it. It was nice, but traded it for an LP.

Now I see at MF they are giving a free case with it, so it's tempting to get another one. The thing I really miss on it is the neck binding. For some reason,

I like binding on my necks. If I ever come across one of those special runs where they have the binding and block markers, I'll get one again.

HNGD! That is on great looking guitar. Any chance of sound clips in the near future?

Thank you everyone... I just got home from the Miami Symphony. They did a special performance of all music from the Disney movies and I think it was more fun watching the little kids in the crowd as it was hearing the music. During the performance, they showed scenes from the movies on a huge screen in the background over the orchestra. When they did It's a Small World as the encore, I thought all the little kids were going to go crazy. There were hundreds of little voices singing along... just cool as all get out.

Tomorrow, I'm going to mess with the new guitar and see how it sounds through my various little amps. Maybe I'll even pull out the J-Station and see what it sounds like through a Marshall stack or a Fender Blackface.

As for a sound file, that might be a hard decision. I tend to play 90% acoustic, so maybe I can do something with the two Epi acoustics in rhythm and fingerstyle and use the new Dot as an electric lead. Let me think about it.

Thank you all again...

After I posted last night, I played for a while, mostly just strumming to hear the various tones I get through my Pro Junior while I messed with the guitar knobs. I don't know what possessed me, but the first thing I played was Spiders & Snakes... certainly an indication of some sort of character flaw on my part.

I think I might lower the neck pickup some just to broaden the difference between what I hear on the neck and middle positions, but otherwise I like what I hear from these Epi pickups. As you might expect, there is a total volume dropoff around 3 on the knob, but the tonal changes seem to be across the whole sweep of the tone knobs.

I'm going to try a comparison to the Burstbuckers in my Gibson LP. I have questioned how much I liked the Burstbuckers since I got the LP a couple months ago. My first instinct is to say I like the sound of the Epi pups in the hollow boay more than the Burstbuckers in the solid body. The domino effect of that is to question whether to change the pickups in the LP or just sell it. Selling it might be an attractive option so I could immediately turn around and buy one of those LP special models with the dual P90's in it.

The only other question about the Dot is that the strings on it feel slack to me. I don't know whether it's just the shorter scale, because I've never thought I felt a difference before, or whether these strings are very light. I usually use either 10-46 or 11-48 on my electrics. These remind me of the 09-42 gauge strings you always see on new Fender guitars.

Lastly, sometimes thing just work out right. As if God had a plan for me today, my wife is going to be out of the house with her buddy, shopping for plants for her friend's new house. I can make as much noise as I want without disturbing anyone but my neighbors... and they deserve it!

Lastly, sometimes thing just work out right. As if God had a plan for me today, my wife is going to be out of the house with her buddy, shopping for plants for her friend's new house. I can make as much noise as I want without disturbing anyone but my neighbors... and they deserve it!

Ha, perfect! play your heart out \:D/ \:D/

Congrats and HNGD! [thumbup] I could see myself jammin to some Chuck Berry on one of those beauty's! After I get a Gold Top L.P., I think I just might have to get me one of those Dot's.

Shawn

Oh, and speaking of Dot's, I thought I'd post a video showcasing one of the Dot's cool tones. B)

Hey Bigneil - How come you live in Scotland, but don't seem to play golf?

Kind of made me chuckle.

I saw a show once where a mother asked her daughter...

"You're almost 40...When are you going to get married?"

Daughter replied...

"You're over 60...When are you going to break your hip?"

Willy

"You're over 60...When are you going to break your hip?"

My friend Gary had a hip replacement and when he swings a golf club, the hip makes a whistling sound. Gary's surgeon was a local Chinese doctor with an excellent reputation, but we tease him that his doctor was using cheap parts to be loyal to his Asian upbringing.

My friend Gary had a hip replacement and when he swings a golf club, the hip makes a whistling sound. Gary's surgeon was a local Chinese doctor with an excellent reputation, but we tease him that his doctor was using cheap parts to be loyal to his Asian upbringing.

LOL

Maybe it is a Gibson hip replacement. (weight relieved with holes)

Hopefully not a tracking device.

Sorry guys for the excessive posts this morning.

It is my grandson's 11th birthday and I'm killing time before his his party. ( I think I'm more excited than he is!)

Willy

It is my grandson's 11th birthday and I'm killing time before his his party. ( I think I'm more excited than he is!)

Willy

Well Happy Birthday to your little guy !!!

The pictures of us visiting our grandkids for their birthdays prove I revert from being 61 to being 4-5 years old when I'm at their parties. My daughter told me that when she asked my 3 year old granddaughter what her favorite toy was, she said "Poppy", (that's what they call me)... I take that as one of the nicest compliments I ever got.

Enjoy the party...

Congrats Dennis-

Looks like a winner.

I had to adjust the neck pup bracket on mine straight from the factory rather than lower the pup. For some strange reason, it was installed 180 degrees wrong.

The slack string issue, might just be the semi-hollow body nature, that you may not yet be used to. Try an Emporer or any guitar with a Freaquensator tailpiece, and talk about slack strings... [scared]

That nature of semi, or full hollow body gits is what lends them to sound better with thicker strings. Easier bending, more resonant harmonics, and so on.

The domino effect of that is to question whether to change the pickups in the LP or just sell it. Selling it might be an attractive option so I could immediately turn around and buy one of those LP special models with the dual P90's in it.

...yes you could buy one of those new specials, or ten with the funds from selling the gibbby. I love your new sunburst dot, congrats.

-Cal

congrats on the new dot its a beauty. as to the strings mine came with 009s thats what i normaly use. and thats one of the things i likwe about my dot it plays so easy. not like a normal gibby style guitar. mine feels like im playing my strat neck wise. anyhow good luck with the new one. have fun.

Archived