Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Vs. Acoustic - Electric

harmonicchaos

There are other options to having a rectangle cut out of the side of your guitar. Schatten makes pickups that are non-invasive and work really well with an active D/I box. I am certainly happy with the one I installed in a Martin OM-21. This set up does not include a volume knob, so I use a volume pedal instead - actually a better option when working on the fly.

The argument that post-factory isn't as good depends on a lot of factors. As I stated, I have had really good success with Schatten pickups and I wouldn't play on anything else. The Gibson factory pick ups have really hot signals and sound absolutely excellent. Feedback is well managed and the overall tonal quality of the Gibby factory transducer is great - but when you said rectangle in the side you were talking active pickups -- essentially Fishman -- and that is not what you get factory stock from Gibson.

In general, my experience has been that post-factory pickups have given me the sound I need from the guitars I use for stage and line recording. Everyone's taste is different, so I am reluctant to argue that post-factory is better -- but for me, post-factory has met my needs very well.

Play whatever you think you want to buy through the new Bose PA systems. That separates the men from the boys, horses and dogs just fine.

no i only wish at the moment. but my b-day is coming very soon so you never know...

i'll at least get money towards it.

btw i saw you're located in indiana . what area are you in?

Well, cool deal. Hope you get it soon. I'm saving now again as well....I'm Gas'n for either another Songwriter (the Special that I traded for the Deluxe) or another J-45 (that I had to sell in a messy divorce).

As for Indy, I'm in Fowler - 2 hours South of Chicago, 1/2 hour North of Lafayette. You in Indy ? There's a 5-star dealer around here somewhere I hear. I'm gonna make a trip there sooner or later.

The LR Baggs Element (stock factory) is a very nice sounding pickup that I much prefer over an onboard rectangular preamp. If you plug in regularly Fishman has those acoustic imaging pedals that sound amazing. No need to cram everything on board anymore. But I would get it with a factory Baggs pickup.

Archived