Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire repair

Telling

Hi

I live in Denmark and because of that my Dark Fire needed to be sent to Sweden for repair. If that takes 2-4 weeks it is understandable. Reason for writing is, it has taken over 2 months now and every time I ask the distrubutor when I can expect it back I get the answer: we are waiting for parts from USA.

This has taken way to long and it will for shure affect my next choice of guitar brand. Please get it fixed, get some parts to sweden they need them.

Sincerely

Michael Telling

• 1 month later...

Hi

I live in Denmark and because of that my Dark Fire needed to be sent to Sweden for repair. If that takes 2-4 weeks it is understandable. Reason for writing is, it has taken over 2 months now and every time I ask the distrubutor when I can expect it back I get the answer: we are waiting for parts from USA.

This has taken way to long and it will for shure affect my next choice of guitar brand. Please get it fixed, get some parts to sweden they need them.

Sincerely

Michael Telling

We are now at 3 months waiting time, I still would be happy if anyone could tell me what the problem is, why does an simple repair take so long time.

• 4 weeks later...

We are now at 3 months waiting time, I still would be happy if anyone could tell me what the problem is, why does an simple repair take so long time.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. What was the fault in the first place? Just curious to hear which part might be in short supply. I personally stock anything I can find on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

I own 3 really neat Gibsons: a Les Paul Guitar of the Month with EMGs, an Origial Gibson Robot, and a Dark Fire. My experience with all of them is that they are like old American Muscle Cars. They look really awesome in the catalogs, magazines and on the showroom floor, they are crap after you buy them and take them home, and become AWESOME with a little work and a good mechanic. Not the way is should be, but it is the way it is. Find a good luthier to uncork your Gibson's potential. None of mine ever came finished, functional or fully ready to play from the factory. I would not sell or trade any of them for any other guitar. If you want a nice perfect guitar out of the box, buy a Gretch or Fender. If you want an awesome guitar, find the right luthier for your Gibson.

The MCK didn't switched back in position after use and have neved done, that's an know and minor issue. What triggered the repair was the G and it's mechanics. The MCK button reported shortcut and the robot mechanics didn't work. The guitar was send for repair 11/10 2010 and I'm now close to 6 months where I haven't seen my guitar. I have offcause several times been in contact with both my local dealer in Denmark and the Swedish distributor who are suppose to repair it and they are very very sorry for my situation but they can't do anything without spare parts. Furthermore I have emailed Gibson support in europe, they seems paralyzed. Make your own judgement below. Right now I have 2 choices. Call it back from repair in what ever condition it might be in and hope for part in the years that comes or let hell break lose over my local dealers head :-/

Subject: Repairtime Dark Fire

Hi

My name is Michael Telling and I'm the proud owner of an Dark Fire 1356. I have some problems with it and it obiously need repair. The MCK reported short circuit on the G string doing tuning (cleaning didn't helped) and the MCK didn't jumped back correctly after use. I handed it in in the shop who sold it to me d. 11-10-2010. They informed me that the repair would take some time, up to 3 weeks. Mainly because it had to be sent to Sweden since we don't have an danish distrubutor. Now after 3 months I'm still waiting for my Dark Fire and when I contact the guy whom are in contact with the swedish distrubutor I get the answer "they are waiting for parts from USA". This wait time are far beyond my expentation to Gibson and I am not a happy customer anymore. I don't know what to do anymore, all i really want is just to get my DF back again, repair or not. Why is it so that we are in this situation?

Sincerely Michael Telling

Hi Mr. Telling,

We are sorry to hear what is happened with your guitar, but unfortunately, in this case is the International Distributor for Scandinavian Countries which is Luthman that needs to provide their assistance with this issue. They need to make a request for replacement parts and contact anytime the warranty replacement parts department.

Please try to ask them for a delivery time of shipment of the parts.

Regards, M

Hi M

You are not answer my question. Problem is that Luthman doesn't know the delivery time, they have ordered the parts long ago. So it doesn't make sence to keep asking them, for the very same reason my local dealer can't do anything. Though I have been i contact with both companies today, they are veeery sorry because of the situation but they can only wait for parts at the moment. I can only note that Gibson does have a very long delivery time for spare parts which really exceeds my expectations for Gibson. So why are we in this situation, why doesn't Gibson deliver spare parts in a reasonable time?

Regards,

Michael Telling

Hi Mister Telling,

We regret the situation where you are in at the moment, but Gibson is in this case dependant on third parties (the manufacturers of the hardware parts).

I can assure you that the division is doing everything they can to replenish their stock as soon as possible.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards, S

Hi S

I am now close to 5 months of waiting time for my Gibson repair. When I as an consumer in denmark are in this situation I have the possibility to complain to The Danish Consumer Council. They will in cases like this most likely ask the dealer who sold me the guitar to pay back my money. In most cases they will fell forced to do that because that kind of decisions will only be taken if danish consumerlaw are violated which are the case here. Should they refuse to pay back my money, the case will be brought to court where they most likely will lose since the law are violated.

I am just about to complain to that organisation and will therefor very kindly ask you if you could set an date for when I can expect my guitar to be repaired. I really don't want to lose my guitar but on the other hand this situation are not acceptable anymore.

Regards Michael Telling

Hi Mister Telling,

I have informed Luthman.

They should be contacting you any time soon.

Kind regards, S

And I pray to my god that "any time soon" actually are "soon". This last mail are 5 days old.

• 3 weeks later...

Today d.16-03-11 I recieved my DF back from repair. I was told that all electronic had been replaced. I believe them, it works :) I'm glad I got my DF back, but still 6 months repair time are way to long. Someone in the distribution line must have agreed in that since I got an Gibson cap + shirt and 10 set of strings for free. I was not the only DF owner in the shop that day, 2 DF's came back from repair from sweden the very same day.

Archived