Gibson Brands Forums

Best strap locks?

zkinard

I find the locks that came with my Epi Les Paul Trad. Pro to be very good,you just screw them onto a strap and they click into place on the strap button so you can be sure that they're locked on.

I have a thick leather Levy's strap, and I think the threaded post is just a bit too short. Be careful the nut does not fall off, because it did with mine one day. I put a dab of blue Loc Tite on the threads, and now the nuts do not move.

Here's a Grolsch washer on my guitar.

Grolsch.jpg

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

"Weekendbrewer.com Site"

http://www.weekendbrewer.com/beercapperscapsbottles.htm

11621-1 Replacement Gaskets for flip tops ( fits 16 oz. & 1 liter) 12 ea./pk. 1.05

11621-2 Replacement Gaskets for flip tops ( fits 16 oz. & 1 liter) 24 ea./pk. 2.10

11621-3 Replacement Gaskets for flip tops ( fits 16 oz. & 1 liter) 100 ea./pk. 8.40

OR you can buy Grolsch and save the washers, but it's hard to beat 8.7 CENTS per "Straplock",

plus minimal shipping....

Sell the rest on Craigslist for "Chump Change" (ie: $1.00 a "set"),

or buy 100 Guitars... :rolleyes:

Schallers are my favorite. The old screws are necessary and I usually insert a toothpick coated with wood glue into the hole and break it off even with the edge of the hole before I insert the screw. Otherwise, the screw will eventually loosen.

Schallers are my favorite. The old screws are necessary and I usually insert a toothpick coated with wood glue into the hole and break it off even with the edge of the hole before I insert the screw. Otherwise, the screw will eventually loosen.

Just want to add one note of caution here from a guy who has made his life's work learning things the hard way.

If you insert the screw before the glue dries, you will have glued the screw into the hole tight as a gnat's chuff.

If you ever need to take that screw out, the screw head will strip or break off.

Don't buy Dunlops. I have them pre-installed on my Charvel. There are two large discs that clamp together like a hi-hat arrangement with the strap & button in between.

Sounds sturdy but.........the outer disc slipped through the hole and slit in a brand new suede/leather strap I bought. It's a sturdy strap but all straps have a slit that extends from the hole.

Good job I had hold of my Charvel with both hands. Now I treat this guitar like it has no strap locks!

If you have Dunlops................consider yourselves warned!

Alan

I like the Dimarzio clip-lock straps, would be better if you could buy the bits that connect to the guitar on their own as well though

Absolutely, being able to share one strap between several guitars without having a drawer full of strap buttons is ideal. Wish the manufacturers would realize this too.

Absolutely, being able to share one strap between several guitars without having a drawer full of strap buttons is ideal. Wish the manufacturers would realize this too.

I guess they also realise they would lose out on money cos people would just buy those, which is probably the reason

and that dunlop thing is cool, but i already have the dimarzio one now

I guess they also realise they would lose out on money cos people would just buy those, which is probably the reason

and that dunlop thing is cool, but i already have the dimarzio one now

I have several different systems installed over many guitars, mainly just the stuff that was already installed when they were bought, but now I know of the Dunlops, I'm going to make a concerted effort to convert all of them to that setup, Dunlop will make money, none of the other brands will.

I have several different systems installed over many guitars, mainly just the stuff that was already installed when they were bought, but now I know of the Dunlops, I'm going to make a concerted effort to convert all of them to that setup, Dunlop will make money, none of the other brands will.

I agree. I was unaware of the buttons being sold individually. Since I have Dunlops on two of my guitars, I'll be getting buttons for the rest of them. Thanks for the info dchale! [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

I use Schallers and whenever I can I use the same screw that was on the guitar in the first place. Always the first choice. IF not I go and buy a screw that is a little bigger, just take the old screw and measure it and step up one size. That is the best way, so that the entire screw is into solid wood. A screw just cuts a toothpick to ribbons.

I had a friend bring over a LP Studio that he bought that some nitwit had put Dunlops on and used the wrong size screwdriver to put the screw in, and he stripped it of course. I cut it with a Dremel bit and was able to grab it with a pair of very small vice grips and get the rest of the screw out. My friend is a machinist and he used a lathe to drill a new hole into his cousins Gibson Les Paul, someone did the old toothpick and glue but did not wait for the glue to dry and then he could not get the screw out, so Larry had to drill it out with a carbide bit on a lathe and then re drill the hole for the next screw size.

I have Schallers on all 5 of my guitars for the simple reason that I can buy the studs in any color I choose (to match the guitar's hardware) and still only have one or two straps. It makes guitar changes pretty quick and simple. And, I've never had a problem or even a close call with them. Money well spent.

one thing that i don't think has been mentioned yet is a quality strap. for years i used schallers with only the occasional failure, which was largely my fault for not keeping it tightened. they held fine on my old cheap nylon strap, but they tore through few fancier straps i had. the strap hole would stretch over the strap lock and pop off- the lock stayed on, the strap flew off. not cool.

so now i use couch guitar straps with the beer washers. haven't had a problem since. but the guitars sit funny on the case with the straps on, and they are kind of a ***** to get off because the fit is so snug. couch makes a very good strap and the tabs are super thick and durable.

also, the schallers ever so slightly change then angle at which or guitar sits. wasn't a problem with my lp, but it was a huge issue for my on a 335 type, where the button is on the back of the neck.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok... So I am reading this and have a question...... I installed strap locks on my les Paul, and the screw hole was slightly to large for the screw. I used a toothpick, but did not use wood glue...

It seems to be holding. Should I take it out and re place the toothpick with another one only using glue this time, or should i leave well enough alone?

Saw this thread re-appear, then later was Ping-Ponging

around ebay, I done the DEED.

I went ahead and snagged Straplocks only a skinflint would love. [thumbup]

I guess the leftovers will make great Coasters for ShotGlasses, or

Party Favors (?), or.....

If any of "y'all" need some, PM me - I'll cram a couple

in the USB port, you should be able to pull them out.

BWAAAA-HAAAAA-HAAAAAA!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grolsch-Gaskets-Orig-Red-Rubber-100-Count_W0QQitemZ150551533367QQcategoryZ38172QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7341472150676362263

grolsch-gaskets-100-count.pngflipgasket__91521_zoom.jpg

5434511702_197c1dea48.jpg

I just ordered my first set of strap locks....ever. I've used big metal washers on my guitars years ago and that worked, but putting them in a case sucked. Then I had Strat styles and they never seemed to really need them. But having Les Pauls now, I feel I really need them. So I went and ordered some Dunlop Dual-Design.

I've been using water bottle caps for now. Hey don't laugh, I got the idea from here. The beer bottle idea sounded good, then I saw those plastic plastic washers, then I saw that someone sold things like that, so I put 2+2 together and came up with these. Genius. Well at least they're cheep and they go on easily and take a good bit to pull them off. I wouldn't trust them to hold a guitar as you sling it around your body, but they keep a strap on.

Any how I'll see how real strap locks finally work.

post-31005-021066500 1298668681_thumb.jpg

post-31005-006257200 1298668692_thumb.jpg

5434511702_197c1dea48.jpg

grolsch on couch, just how i do it. well done. i trust that combo more than my old schallers. keep this one to yourself, animal farm- those gaskets make really neat picks. try it some time. for strumming mostly, hard to do single notes with them. kinda warm and airy at the same time. cool recording trick.

Maybe this helps........

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1918

[cool]

Thanks, i haven't see this video before. Now i understand how they work. But still cheap stuff compare to Schaller Guitar Strap Locks. I would prfer pay $20 more for the guitar if it comes with good ones. Sorry Epiphone, don't put these strap lock on your guitar... Next time i'll buy an Epiphone, if the stap lock list in the spec, i won't consider it has a plus.

N_1918.jpg

Archived