Gibson Guitar Board: Les Paul value - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Les Paul value

#1 User is offline   stevechute 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

I have a friend that owns a music store in CT and he gave me my first job about 45 years ago. He was very good friends with Les Paul and spent a lot of time with him. I bought 2 les Pauls from him years ago which he had Les sign for me. I know the signature to be authentic. As I am getting older and in poor health I have been trying to get my affairs in order and would like to find out the value of these guitars for my will and insurance.I have been looking on line but I don't seem to find the information that pertains to these particular models.I have one handy and the serial number is 1 2951. Does anyone have any information I can use to describe the guitar and what it is worth? Did Les Paul sign many? I looked and found nothing on the internet claimed to be signed. Was he known as a man that would sign easily or is a signed guitar rare?Any information would be helpful.The guitar is sunburst with pearl inlays and four plastic pick ups so I don't think it is that old. I can post photos if that would help.Thanks

#2 User is offline   TehBeast 

• Neil
  • LocationRaincouver, Canada

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

what is the specific model of the paul?
Mean Mean Pride...
Posted Image
"JB rocks!
...but don't misunderstand me, I mean John Bonham"

#3 User is offline   DestructorsKillMusic1982 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

I saw Les play at Fat Tuesdays in NYC in 1992 and met him, he signed a Les Paul t-shirt I brought with me and was very friendly, humble and talkative to me and everyone else there. A number of people had stuff for him to sign and he didn't seem to mind at all (I wish I'd had the nerve to bring my LP Standard with me for a signature, but I was too worried about it getting stolen in the city.) Sadly I lost that t-shirt while moving in the late 90s but I do seem to recall his signature script was very readable and very distinctive (I've seen it also on the cover of a CD box set my father has.)
Hope this helps - happy holidays!
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wine Red w/ Dimarzio Virtual PAF & Super Distortion p/u's
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Faded Cherry Sunburst
2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ebony, w/ Seymour Duncan Custom 5 p/u
1982 Gibson "The Paul" Firebrand, burgundy, w/ brass Kahler tremolo
1993 Gibson SG Standard, Classic White
1973 Gibson SG Standard, natural, w/3 p/u's & Bigsby vibrato
1998 Gibson SG Special, black, w/Maestro vibrato & Dimarzio 36 PAF p/u
1997 Gibson SG-X, refinished in faded classic white, black pearloid pickguard added
2001 Gibson SG Gothic, black
2007 Gibson SG-3, black, Guitar of the Week #30, w/ Dimarzio Blue Velvet, Seymour Duncan JB Jr. & Fender p/u's
1972 Gibson SG-I, refinished in black
2007 Gibson Flying V '84 reissue, silverburst, Guitar of the Week #40
2006 Gibson Explorer, black, w/ TP-6 bridge
2012 Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute, vintage sunburst
1975 Gibson Marauder, natural w/Seymour Duncan '59 p/u
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe w/ Seymour Duncan Invader & Dimarzio Super Distortion p/u's
199? ESP Custom Shop M-I, graphic finish (from Warren Demartini's 'Frenchie' Charvel), w/ EMG 81 p/u
1998 ESP M-II Deluxe, black, w/ Seymour Duncan JB p/u
200? Fender Stratocaster (probably MIM), olympic white
1987 Aria Pro II SL ST-3 w/Epiphone Alnico V p/u
198? Kaman GTX 33, purple/rainbow tiger-stripe graphic finish
1987 Epiphone S-400, w/Floyd Rose, EMG 81 p/u & Dimarzio HS-2 & HS-3 p/u's
1972 Epiphone Classic EC-23A nylon-string classical acoustic
200? Ibanez acoustic-electric, black
196? Elger 12-string flat-top acoustic
194? Broman Pride archtop f-hole acoustic
197? Vantage bass
199? Steinberger Spirit bass

Marshall JCM900 Model 4100 100w head
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cabinet
Marshall 1936 2x12" cabinet
Peavey Vypyr 30w 1x12" w/ Sanpera I
Line 6 Spider IV 15w 1x8"
Line 6 Spider IV 15w 1x8"

#4 User is offline   EvanPC 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

View Poststevechute, on 20 December 2010 - 11:52 PM, said:

I have a friend that owns a music store in CT and he gave me my first job about 45 years ago. He was very good friends with Les Paul and spent a lot of time with him. I bought 2 les Pauls from him years ago which he had Les sign for me. I know the signature to be authentic. As I am getting older and in poor health I have been trying to get my affairs in order and would like to find out the value of these guitars for my will and insurance.I have been looking on line but I don't seem to find the information that pertains to these particular models.I have one handy and the serial number is 1 2951. Does anyone have any information I can use to describe the guitar and what it is worth? Did Les Paul sign many? I looked and found nothing on the internet claimed to be signed. Was he known as a man that would sign easily or is a signed guitar rare?Any information would be helpful.The guitar is sunburst with pearl inlays and four plastic pick ups so I don't think it is that old. I can post photos if that would help.Thanks

Defintely post photos. There are some pretty knowledgeable people here and may be able to help you. Wish I could, but I'd be interested to find out what you have.

Good luck.

#5 User is offline   L5Larry 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

The serial number alone tells us nothing about the guitar. Photos are required to give you any information.

As for the autographs, Les signed anything and everything anybody put in front of him. That's just the way he was, very gracious to his fans. As a general rule, an autograph on an instrument does not add any value, and in fact detracts from the value of most instruments.

That said... when I saw Les at the Iridium in New York in 2001, I wished I would have had my LP pickguard with me for him to sign.

#6 User is offline   BobB 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

You could contact vintage dealers like Gruhn Guitars (www.gruhn.com) or Mandolin Brothers (www.mandoweb.com) to arrange to have the instruments appraised.

#7 User is offline   69tele 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

i would be very interested to see the outcome of this thread as I also have a signed Les Paul (rip)

as others have said great guy and very aproachable.

Pics and Review

Posted Image
my stuff - http://www.gear-review.co.uk/guitar

Gibsons: LP Classic Goldtop / LP Studio+ Desertburst / LP DC Faded Signed by Les Paul / SG 61 RI / SG Bass Std / 335 - Heritage Cherry
Epiphone: EJ200BK/ Epiphone Les Paul (SG) Custom - Aged White

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users