Gibson Brands Forums

Question Gibson LP Goldtop 295

chrisort

Hello, anyone know what kind of body have the Gibson LP goldtop 295(Guitar of the Month, April 2008)

is a chambered or solid body...thanks guys

I have installed Seymour Duncan phat cat p-90s and replaced the pickgaurd with a standard cream les paul pickgaurd.

post-28052-081434400 1292964398_thumb.jpg

Hello, anyone know what kind of body have the Gibson LP goldtop 295(Guitar of the Month, April 2008)

is a chambered or solid body...thanks guys

I have installed Seymour Duncan phat cat p-90s and replaced the pickgaurd with a standard cream les paul pickgaurd.

I think those were solid body guitars [confused] oh...what I would do for one of those would probably put me in jail [flapper]

I think those were solid body guitars [confused] oh...what I would do for one of those would probably put me in jail [flapper]

Ho yeah is a beautyfull guitar and their sound is cool.....

I found this information on a page ...

I leave it here:

The Custom Shop Class 5 continues to have weight relief holes. Whereas the USA production Les Pauls (Standards, Classics, Studios) had weight relief holes up until 2007. The Class 5 has 17 weight relief holes and the USA productions (until 2007) had 9. (Since Class 5's have long neck tenons, weight relief vs. dynamic sound chambers makes sense). Here is a pic of this type of weight relief.

post-28052-061372900 1293000474_thumb.jpg

The Les Paul Ultima, Elegants, Peter Frampton Custom, and the chambered reissues (Cloud 9s) have "Dynamic Sound Chambers"

From what I understand, this is the chambering for these guitars:

post-28052-073060200 1293000539_thumb.jpg

This is not much different from the USA production of the Les Paul Supreme, except the supreme runs the center block pretty much all the way throught the body of the guitar. This is somewhat like the carving of the CS 336 and Cs 356.

post-28052-059237000 1293000614_thumb.jpg

post-28052-026939400 1293000626_thumb.jpg

The new USA production Les Pauls have a new type of chambering. It appears to be an even more drastic chambering than the Cloud 9 type of chambering. From a post on the LP Forum we have an X-ray of a BFG which compares these two. The picture on the right is the new USA prduction chambering and the left shows the "Cloud 9" type of chambering:

post-28052-036334400 1293000676_thumb.jpg

Further evidence for the new chambering is found in this video from You Tube of Gibson's factory tour.

In this video it is clear that this type of chambering shown in the previous X-ray is what is currently being used on USA production Les Pauls.

post-28052-032158200 1293000709_thumb.jpg

An extreme example of chambering is done with the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra:

post-28052-014647000 1293000744_thumb.jpg

In previous posts, I have heard that this form of chambering is what is done with Elegants also. But, I believe the Elegants utilize the same chambering done in the rest of the Custom Shop Les Pauls...the "Cloud 9" style of chambering.

What conclusions can we draw from this? I think it will be a matter of personal preference. It appears from these pictures that the most responsible way of weight relief is the weight relief holes as are still done on Class 5s. However, if using dynamic sound chambers, it would seem that the Les Paul Supreme, Elegants, Peter Frampton Custom, and Ultima offer the best design since the center block runs pretty much uninterupted all the way from the neck to the tail piece thus increasing sustain. The new chambering is not a continuous block and even has a gap between where the tailpiece posts are screwed in.

I own a Peter Frampton Custom and its tone is superb and I actually prefer it to any other Les Paul. (Also own CS 356 and have owned several pre-07 Standards) I also own a 2007 Classic Antique. I also enjoy this tone. It is brighter and more resonant than most other Les Pauls. However, I would agree with what some others have said, for the crunch and distorted tones, the new chambering has less of a tight focus than a solid back or minimally chambered Les Paul. However, you get a unique kind of interaction between guitar and amp not typically found in the more solid body Pauls. The chambering makes the guitar act more like a semi-hollow body and these semi-hollow characteristics are going to increase the more drastic the chambering. IMO

• 4 years later...

Ho yeah is a beautyfull guitar and their sound is cool.....

I found this information on a page ...

I leave it here:

The Custom Shop Class 5 continues to have weight relief holes. Whereas the USA production Les Pauls (Standards, Classics, Studios) had weight relief holes up until 2007. The Class 5 has 17 weight relief holes and the USA productions (until 2007) had 9. (Since Class 5's have long neck tenons, weight relief vs. dynamic sound chambers makes sense). Here is a pic of this type of weight relief.

post-28052-061372900 1293000474_thumb.jpg

The Les Paul Ultima, Elegants, Peter Frampton Custom, and the chambered reissues (Cloud 9s) have "Dynamic Sound Chambers"

From what I understand, this is the chambering for these guitars:

post-28052-073060200 1293000539_thumb.jpg

This is not much different from the USA production of the Les Paul Supreme, except the supreme runs the center block pretty much all the way throught the body of the guitar. This is somewhat like the carving of the CS 336 and Cs 356.

post-28052-059237000 1293000614_thumb.jpg

post-28052-026939400 1293000626_thumb.jpg

The new USA production Les Pauls have a new type of chambering. It appears to be an even more drastic chambering than the Cloud 9 type of chambering. From a post on the LP Forum we have an X-ray of a BFG which compares these two. The picture on the right is the new USA prduction chambering and the left shows the "Cloud 9" type of chambering:

post-28052-036334400 1293000676_thumb.jpg

Further evidence for the new chambering is found in this video from You Tube of Gibson's factory tour.

In this video it is clear that this type of chambering shown in the previous X-ray is what is currently being used on USA production Les Pauls.

post-28052-032158200 1293000709_thumb.jpg

An extreme example of chambering is done with the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra:

post-28052-014647000 1293000744_thumb.jpg

In previous posts, I have heard that this form of chambering is what is done with Elegants also. But, I believe the Elegants utilize the same chambering done in the rest of the Custom Shop Les Pauls...the "Cloud 9" style of chambering.

What conclusions can we draw from this? I think it will be a matter of personal preference. It appears from these pictures that the most responsible way of weight relief is the weight relief holes as are still done on Class 5s. However, if using dynamic sound chambers, it would seem that the Les Paul Supreme, Elegants, Peter Frampton Custom, and Ultima offer the best design since the center block runs pretty much uninterupted all the way from the neck to the tail piece thus increasing sustain. The new chambering is not a continuous block and even has a gap between where the tailpiece posts are screwed in.

I own a Peter Frampton Custom and its tone is superb and I actually prefer it to any other Les Paul. (Also own CS 356 and have owned several pre-07 Standards) I also own a 2007 Classic Antique. I also enjoy this tone. It is brighter and more resonant than most other Les Pauls. However, I would agree with what some others have said, for the crunch and distorted tones, the new chambering has less of a tight focus than a solid back or minimally chambered Les Paul. However, you get a unique kind of interaction between guitar and amp not typically found in the more solid body Pauls. The chambering makes the guitar act more like a semi-hollow body and these semi-hollow characteristics are going to increase the more drastic the chambering. IMO

I also own an 07(as well as a 72,78,13)and it sounds amazing! and is my favorite of the bunch.The sustain and resonance is incredible and the cut at high vol is like a hot knife through butter.Its warm,subtle and brutal! I would sell any of the others before this guitar and I'm looking for another now.The cleans are beautiful,and when the tap is turned on full,it will cut your nuts off!

It can pull the classic 60's,70's rock tones easy as.

Archived