Gibson Brands Forums

Which amp?

Thundergod

Hi, i recently sold my amp (a crappy solid state peavey head) and am looking to buy a new one.. i´d prefer a tube head or combo, but in my country my options are limited.

After test driving 8 different amps it have come to three options (in no significant order):

Soldano Hot Rod Head, $1150 (one channel, slightly used, the original owner bought it 6 month ago and haven´t giged with it).

VOX AC30, $1035 (new, the warf cone model).

The third option (the one im leaning towards), is to just buy a "decent" ($400-$700, soemones offering me a line6 flextone III 2x12 at $600, tried a JC120 from roland at $900 but i find it to expensive for a solid state amp that has a terrible hizz even clean (sound is wonderful but has a hizz!)) solid state combo and stick with it till august, as in august ill go to the states and test drive more options there and also buy at better price.

If i go for the third option, i´ll look for an orange tiny terror, a krank rev jr. and one of those blackheart mini stacks, and will buy at least two out of the 3 (if not the 3), note that i have a studio and dont play live so i dont really have use for a 100W tube beast, also i have three cabinets, a 1x12 with eminence legend, a 2x12 with celestion vintage 30s, and a 4x12 with eminence governors, so i preffer a tube head to a tube combo).

I dont plan to use the amp on stage as it has been a long time since i last played live (5 years maybe), and i dont intend to do so soon. I will mostly use it in my recording studio and sometimes at friends rehearsal rooms.

So can anyone give some oppinions on the amps listed? Again amp and price (united states dollars):

Soldano Hot Rod 50W Head, single channel: $1150 used

VOX AC30cc2 with warf/vox cones, $1035 new

Line 6 flextone III 212 + two or three 5W - 20W tube heads... (if i go for this option i may end up spending $1300-$1700).

Hi' date=' i recently sold my amp (a crappy solid state peavey head) and am looking to buy a new one.. i´d prefer a tube head or combo, but in my country my options are limited.

After test driving 8 different amps it have come to three options (in no significant order):

Soldano Hot Rod Head, $1150 (one channel, slightly used, the original owner bought it 6 month ago and haven´t giged with it).

VOX AC30, $1035 (new, the warf cone model).

The third option (the one im leaning towards), is to just buy a "decent" ($400-$700, soemones offering me a line6 flextone III 2x12 at $600, tried a JC120 from roland at $900 but i find it to expensive for a solid state amp that has a terrible hizz even clean (sound is wonderful but has a hizz!)) solid state combo and stick with it till august, as in august ill go to the states and test drive more options there and also buy at better price.

If i go for the third option, i´ll look for an orange tiny terror, a krank rev jr. and one of those blackheart mini stacks, and will buy at least two out of the 3 (if not the 3), note that i have a studio and dont play live so i dont really have use for a 100W tube beast, also i have three cabinets, a 1x12 with eminence legend, a 2x12 with celestion vintage 30s, and a 4x12 with eminence governors, so i preffer a tube head to a tube combo).

I dont plan to use the amp on stage as it has been a long time since i last played live (5 years maybe), and i dont intend to do so soon. I will mostly use it in my recording studio and sometimes at friends rehearsal rooms.

So can anyone give some oppinions on the amps listed? Again amp and price (united states dollars):

Soldano Hot Rod 50W Head, single channel: $1150 used

VOX AC30cc2 with warf/vox cones, $1035 new

Line 6 flextone III 212 + two or three 5W - 20W tube heads... (if i go for this option i may end up spending $1300-$1700).[/quote']

Of the 3 amps you've listed, I would have to suggest the VOXAC30. I know nothing about Soldano, but you've indicated that it's used and only has one channel. The idea about using some other tube heads with Line 6 cab sounds a little impracticle. Vox makes a great sounding amp and even new is less expensive than the other options.

Of the 3 amps you've listed' date=' I would have to suggest the VOXAC30. I know nothing about Soldano, but you've indicated that it's used and only has one channel. The idea about using some other tube heads with Line 6 cab sounds a little impracticle. Vox makes a great sounding amp and even new is less expensive than the other options.[/quote']

Hi, thanks for the comments, actually i do have cabinets, lots of really... i have my own brand of cabinets, OAG cabinets, hand made in ecuador of fine woods, very exclusive, but not very expensive, also, very few made every year.

In the pics you can see me with some cabs i keep around in my studio for clients who want to test drive them (sorry about the crappy head... just got rid of it!) one OAG 1x12 in orange, one OAG 2x12 in black and red, and one OAG 4x12 in grey.

cabinets.jpg

cabinets2.jpg

cabinets3.jpg

cabinets4.jpg

So if i went for the solid state combo i would be going for 2 or 3 tube heads anyway... but, anyway i think i´ll go for the VOX AC30... have read lots of reviews on the net, seen some videos on youtube, and got the shop selling them to borrow me one (with the warfedale speakers) for the hollyday, i´ll have to return it on wednesday.

I have been playing with it for 6 hours... and man, it really sounds good, also with a couple of pedals in front, it can actuallly give very heavy tones (which i doubted at first!).

I have mostly played through it with my gibson les paul and the epi, but it is the guitars i´m using now anyway... (the others are just collecting dust... thinking about selling them), think i spent some 10 minutes with the showmaster but just got bored of it (the guitar, not the amp).

Anyway, any more comments before i decide?

Archived