Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 Replacment Pickguard

jchabalk

Hi there, does anyone know of a place or person that will make a reproduction SJ-200 pickguard? The ones gibson makes lately are pretty low quality. I'm looking for one made out of the correct material with the painted engravings.

I've checked out Terrapin - but i haven't called them yet - i'm not sure if they do the engraving i'd like or not. if there are any other places out there worth checking out let me know?

thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there...

I am interessted in this question as well...

the pickguard on my SJ-200 slowly came off at various corners and will not stick to the guitars top anymore... I am diappointed [crying] ... the first time that I am not happy with quality of a Gibson guitar... [glare] I have removed it now entirely, which was not a big deal anymore...

Thanks & Greetings

PIT... :(

Hi there, does anyone know of a place or person that will make a reproduction SJ-200 pickguard? The ones gibson makes lately are pretty low quality. I'm looking for one made out of the correct material with the painted engravings.

You know that Gibson makes different J-200 pickguards, right? You can get one with the pattern embedded (so it won't wear off) like on the Standards, the mass-produced "engraved" ones like on the J-200 TVs (both the pre-'55 pattern with the engraved border line and post'-55 border-line-less pattern), and the hand-engraved ones Ren does for customs. Ren does the best repros around -- he's had the most practice -- but they're not cheap. The TVs are better than any aftermarket option I know of if you want the traditional design.

-- Bob R

Hi there rar et al

I didn't know that Gibson would sell the pickguards on their own. I had inquired about it a little while ago (2 years maybe) and I was told they only would sell the standard issue ones which always seemed a little cheap to me with the paint coming off and all that. and they wanted $300 or so for them.

I might look into getting one of the repros. Do you know if i need to contact them directly or go through a my certified dealer/warranty repair provider?

For those who are interested in what i've been able to turn up too (and it's not too much), I found that John Greven (grevenguitars.com) makes custom pickguards. I emailed him the other day and he got right back to me. Fortunately (i think it's fortunate anyway) his business of making what look like *really* nice custom acoustics is keeping him too busy to make pickguards right now.

Terrapin will make them but they can't bind or carve them, well most of them anyway)

I'm not in too much of a hurry or anything but i'm definitely interested in exploring the ren option.

thanks!

Two points were lifting up on my Hummingbird. I cleaned the surface with a Q-tip and some nahptha then applied contact cement to the guitar AND to the pickguard...let them both dry while separated, then just pressed 'em together! no problems since! Taping off the guitar around the guard is essential. I applied the contact cement with a thin strip of t-shirt material like i was shoe-shine buffing. Then kept the pickguard lifted off at the points with a dime while the cement set up.

As an aside...MAN would I love a 200!

I might look into getting one of the repros. Do you know if i need to contact them directly or go through a my certified dealer/warranty repair provider?

They'll probably want evidence that you own a J-200 with a missing pickguard before they'll sell you a replacement. Unless you have a good relationship with your certified repair guy and your certified repair guy has a good relationship with Bozeman, I'd call Bozeman and ask what they can do to help you out. I don't know either which ones they'd be willing to sell or for how much, but they can tell you the former and you might get lucky on the latter.

-- Bob R

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: pit_s_xroad, how did you remove yours? Was it with a hairdryer and just gently pulling it up?

Check this one out, i haven't seen one of these in real life but they certainly do look nice:

p1_uoeqtrzou_so.jpg

Hi...

sorry for getting back late...

yes, exactly that's how I did it... it was easy, because it was only really fixed in the middle area of the guard...

I am disappointed of GIBSON in the regards of this issue !!!... [scared]

The guitar was 2800 EURO overhere in Germany (somewhat 3800 US$)... and then they use this kind of crap for such great guitar...](*,)

I even would buy one, but it looks impossible from here. I contacted my dealer as well, but he did not succeed as of yet now...

I leave it off for the time being until I find a solution...:-k

Cheers

PIT... :(

• 2 months later...

Hi there...

I wanted to give some update on my SJ-200 and the pickguard issue...

my die-hard internet search has dug out some stuff which I read is used by most of the guitar-manufacturers... it's called "3M 467 MP – 200MP ADHESIVE TRANSFER TAPE" made by the company 3M... eusa_dance.gif ...got that from ebay... I covered the back of the pickguard, cut it out and put it on the guitar... it's now three days ago, it still is firm and I hope it stays like this... [thumbup]

Gretings,

PIT... :D

I wanted to give some update on my SJ-200 and the pickguard issue... "3M 467 MP – 200MP ADHESIVE TRANSFER TAPE" made by the company 3M... I covered the back of the pickguard, cut it out and put it on the guitar... it's now three days ago, it still is firm and I hope it stays like this...

Glad to hear you've found a solution.

Interesting thread. Another thread just got started on the subject of J-200 pickguards - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67321-heres-a-thought/ . . I became curious about the pickguard on mine, the pattern and color seem to be on the backside. On the other thread I got confused on whether I had a Gibson pickguard or a fake on my J-200. A comment by Bob (Rar) here answers my question. I have what Bob calls Gibson's J-200 embedded pattern pickguard. I did a search, but I didn't find this thread. So thanks for the update - it caused my to find this info. And thanks to Bob. B)

You know that Gibson makes different J-200 pickguards, right? You can get one with the pattern embedded (so it won't wear off) like on the Standards, the mass-produced "engraved" ones like on the J-200 TVs (both the pre-'55 pattern with the engraved border line and post'-55 border-line-less pattern), and the hand-engraved ones Ren does for customs. Ren does the best repros around -- he's had the most practice -- but they're not cheap. The TVs are better than any aftermarket option I know of if you want the traditional design.

Gibson will sell pickguards to those in need but you will have to purchase it through a dealer. Call Gibson and they will set you up with a local dealer or vice versa. for a J-200 deluxe pickguard you're probably looking at about $250-300.

Hi...

I contacted my dealer of course but he didn't come far as well...

I know that Gibson makes two different types of PGs... but you won't get here in Germany none of them...

I am shure mine is from Gibson, but it's the cheaper one without engraved flowers... however it looks like that the pattern is sealed because mini-scratches on the guard did not do any harm to them...

However I wouldn't want to pay big money for a piece of plastic which did not stick to the guitar as it should have for the guitar's retail-price... If I'd not found this solution I'd have gone with a selfmade transparent pickguard...

pickguard.jpg

SORRY for the dust... should have wiped it before taking the pic... it's the flash to be blamed... [biggrin]

Greetings

PIT... [thumbup]

Yep, that's the same pickguard that's on mine.

Mine has come loose and it's a 2008.

Looks like your's is siting down well now.

yes [thumbup]

...and mine is a 2008 one, too... maybe it's a year they didn't do that well in general... ?[crying]

I see...

oh I forgot to mention I removed the old glue-ply from the backside of the guard by simply rubbing it off with my fingers before putting the new one onto it... took a bit of patience but worked out pretty easily surprisingly... [thumbup]

Greetings

PIT... [biggrin]

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

post-41289-067325300 1330876221_thumb.jpg

hi there,

i just had a custom pickguard made after searching the net and forums for ages. Its made from mahogany with abelone inlays to my chosen design and sets off my sj200 elite much better than the flimsy plastic offering that gibson fitted originally, which warped and the hand painted mural started wearing off. Gibson wanted a fotune to replace it so i sent the measurements i wanted to bruce Wei who made the most beautiful pick guard for $60.

it took about two weeks to get to me after ordering. Installing it was simple as i just used double sided film and as the pickguard had been made properley stuck fast with no lifting anywhere.Ive attached some pics of the guitar and pickguard.

ive kept the original pickguard just for the gibson original die hards should i lose both hands and need to sell it!

he also makes them for hummingbirds

post-41289-061032000 1330876170_thumb.jpg

post-41289-007307400 1330876196_thumb.jpg

post-41289-025498100 1330877041_thumb.jpg

Archived