Gibson Brands Forums

God Bless George Carlin

bluesguitar65

George was a really funny guy. But toward the end of his live shows, he got to political. No comedy at all. Just him imposing his biased views. Myself and others there thought we were at a political rally or something. As George would have said it, A Real Downer.

Thanks for that! I am quite a new fan (less than a year), an American friend on facebook started sending me links and I got hooked. I think he was a real comedy genius and I don't use the word genius lightly - but think his man with his sharp mind and hard hitting delivery was deserving of that!

Cheers!

Matt

George was a really funny guy. But toward the end of his live shows, he got to political. No comedy at all. Just him imposing his biased views. Myself and others there thought we were at a political rally or something. As George would have said it, A Real Downer.

Couldn't agree more gsg.

In his later years I just found George to be a cranky old man.

Thought he was never as funny as he was in the 70s.

Maybe he was just bitter because Richard Pryor was always the king.

Buddy Hacket was a total panic. Like a lot of folks my age, we saw Buddy on The Tonight Show. (Johnny Carson) I never saw how much better he was, until I saw him on the HBO Specials. So much he obviously couldn't do on NBC or any other broadcast network. [thumbup] And yes Carlin did get way to political for people paying a lot to see his comedy shows.

I think George was always a little bitter that his acting career never really developed. Most of his parts in movies were small and his short lived tv series sucked.

I'd still put him in my top 10 though just for the Baseball / Football bit and his Class Clown album.

His Hippy Dippy Weatherman always made my mom laugh.

My top 10 of comedians would go something, but not exactly like this. Based on standup alone not acting.

Pryor

Dangerfield

Cosby

Hackett

Newhart

Allen (Woody)

Rickles

Cooper (Pat)

Carlin

Smothers Brothers

Good list, but I'd put Skelton at the top. (and I always thought Allen Woody was a bass player for Gov't. Mule!)

Good list, but I'd put Skelton at the top. (and I always thought Allen Woody was a bass player for Gov't. Mule!)

Not only at the top of the list, Red Skelton never had to use foul language to be funny. Any one at any age could appreciate a truly funny man. The cream always rises to the top.

More like on Ed Sullivan

He for sure did that routine on Ed Sullivan, but I'd bet money he also did it on The Smothers Brothers. As I recall, it was a little different from his stand-up or Sullivan routine, he as seated at a weather desk.

But I could be wrong.

He for sure did that routine on Ed Sullivan, but I'd bet money he also did it on The Smothers Brothers. As I recall, it was a little different from his stand-up or Sullivan routine, he as seated at a weather desk.

But I could be wrong.

No, you're right. He was just getting into his "ponytail" phase and was a semi regular on the SB's.

And +1 on Red Skelton. Man was a comedic genius. Let's not forget Sid Ceasar, Soupy Sales, and a host of others from early tv as well.

Archived