Gibson Brands Forums

My wife has agreed to let me buy one new guitar, not three. Which would you choose and why?

harmonicchaos

wow, those are some of my favorite acoustics! i like the songwriter series also. you should check them out! out of those guitars i'd say the dove because i like the maple wood combo but the sj is very, very close and the hummingbird has awesome coloring. at least you can get one! i don't have enough for either:( i say choose one now and get the rest later!!

I've got a '64 SJ, which is about as close to an H'Bird as you'll get, plus a J200. While the J200 might command a bigger presence, the SJ is the "go to" guitar.

If you had included a J45 in the options, it would be a hands down winner. I don't even OWN one and it would be the obvious choice (for me anyway).

What a tough choice !

To respond out of the three, the Hummingbird - hands down. There is just something so SWEEEET about its sound. Unmistakable, and beautiful.

Now, for other commentary - the Dove would be nice to have, but in my opinion only because it is "rare" in the sense that it's not one you run across as often as others.

If you had added the the Songwriter, the decision would be even more difficult. If you had added the J-45, like "ksdaddy," the Hummer would have come in second !

Good Luck !

You don't know how much I appreciate your opinions. I have been wrestling with this decision for quite some time now. I have wanted a Hummingbird for years but just within the last few months I have had the occasion to play both a Dove and an SJ-200 . . . and now that I can afford it, I want all three . . . which I can't afford. They each have their own unique qualities. Gah! What a predicament!

Well, not knowing what your current stock is it is hard to say but I wouldn't pick any of the ones you put in the poll. An AJ or a working man's J45 are the obvious choices if you don't already own either. A Sheryl Crow model is nice, as is the Dwight Yoakam with those cool dice inlays. A hummingbird is not a good choice if you are only allowed to have one. Trust me.

Oh' date=' you are so in trouble on this forum...[/quote']

Yes, Eddie, I probably bit some off here without really intending to. I will explain that my Hummingbird is a 1974 and my close friend owns a 2004 that I have played quite a bit.

For me, and I own this opinion, the Hummingbird is a beautiful strummer. I have not had success playing bluegrass or fingerstyle on this mellow instrument so I don't see it as being versatile in the same way an AJ or a J45 are. To state my point more clearly: If a person is only going to own one Gibson acoustic - I would encourage them to get a J45 or perhaps an Advanced Jumbo rather than a Hummingbird because my experience has been that the J45 genre offers more volume and tonal variations to the player.

I am not familiar with a single artist whose main stage guitar is a Hummingbird. The Sheryl Crow guitar is something of a Hummingbird variant, but otherwise who is playing them?

The J45 genre guitars, on the other hand, are on stage all over the world every night. There has to be a reason for it, no?

Id Take The SJ-200 Because The Tone and Beuaty.

Have You Considered The Advanced Jumbo

It is only $2' date='000 .Great Loud Tone=p~

[img'][/img]

wow only 2,000 dollars! that's like buying a pack of gum to me! i'm joking obviously, i have been wanting a songwriter special and that isn't even 2grand and it's going to take me a while to save for. i just thought it was funny for someone to say ONLY 2 grand, but i gues for a gibson you're right unfortunately. they're worth it though!

Difficult to answer that one. I don't like to predict what something's going to sound like based on the s&b material, scale length, bracing, all that. I guess I've seen too many plywood guitars that sound like the gates of heaven and some master luthier designed/built masterpieces that sound like wet Cheerios boxes. I guess the more I know about guitars, the less I know... ya know?

I just find it very likeable, the whole J45 thing. Basic 16" round shouldered 24.75" stripped down guitar that's all Gibson. I've only had a couple, a 1960 that I bought in 1988 for $170, and a 1973 with an Alvarez top that I sprayed dark metallic Cadillac brown (so I guess that didn't count....).

The real test is the blindfold test though. Or at least blindfold in the sense that "I will try to not be swayed for or against by cosmetics", if you can DO that. Last year's homecoming put all of us in a room full of Gibsons. I think there were 6 J200s lined up on the wall. Pretty scary when you think about it. There was all kinds of new Gibsons to appeal to all tastes, but the ONE that got away, the ONE that, had I had the foresight, I would have made sure I had the money to bring it home, was a blonde J-185. Little above the bling level of the J45 but down from my J200. In one rare moment when there wasn't 20 guitars going at once, I went around the room, simply brushing my finger across the strings. After a few, they kinda all sounded the same. Almost like watching the Miss USA pageant; you see all of them and there's nothing about any ONE of them that makes them stand out even though they're all beautiful. Then I brush the stings of that little 16" blonde and I almost fell to my knees. I wanted it to come home with me but since I hadn't planned to fall in love (and PAY for it), I just walked out of the room. No point in torturing myself.

See, sometimes we overthink things, compare features, finishes, braces, the suffix of the label (and then question if it's correct).... when the reality is that there is likely one guitar out a batch of 20 or 30 that will just blow your head clean off, and chances are it won't be the one you predicted.

I voted for the Hummingbird (my favorite among Gibson acoustics) but I have to admit ballcorner makes a very good point. I don't think there is a sweeter, better sounding acoustic for strumming/vocal accompaniment than a Hummingbird (my main use for the guitar)...but those same qualities mean that it's not the first choice for bluegrass G runs or crystalline finger style playing.

Since you've wanted a 'Bird for a long time, what made your head turn when you recently played the SJ-200 and the Dove?

...real acoustic guitars are cherry red and have little birds on the pickguard...

Those of you that like the J-45' date=' there are two versions of the modern classic out there, one with mahogany back and sides and the other with rosewood back and sides. Which do you prefer?[/quote']

In my experience with them, they are two very unique instruments. I owned a Modern Classic, but had to sell it. I have played the rosewood version many, many times. The rosewood version lacks the preponderance of the unique "Bell" of the mahogany species. The rosewood always seemed to be somewhat louder than the classic, but not so much more as to stand out extraordinarily in volume.

When it came down to my J-45 purchase, obviously I went with the Classic. The two reasons were, in no particular order, 1) The mahogany had that distinctive "Bell" tone that I just had to have, and 2) it was less-expensive than the all-rosewood variant.

Hmmmm new computer not sure how I got the signature line back in their but yep thats a list of my acoustics or the ones I'll admit too at least:-"

and I play electric most of the time that list is about twice as long (still mostly Gibson). I used to have a list in the signature but took it out after all kinds of posts and some well deserved teasing about number of guitars owned. being honest the herd is usually in the 4o+ range.

and yes insured and my other collection is assault rifles so .....

thanks

wow only 2' date='000 dollars! that's like buying a pack of gum to me! i'm joking obviously, i have been wanting a songwriter special and that isn't even 2grand and it's going to take me a while to save for. i just thought it was funny for someone to say ONLY 2 grand, but i gues for a gibson you're right unfortunately. they're worth it though![/quote']

I DO wish Gibson Would Lower Their Prices. They Would Sell More If Prices Went Down A Tad

As I was leaving GC as month ago, I noticed a Hummingbird on the way out of the Acoustic Room. Never playing one before, I picked it up and started strumming, it stunned me! The tone was awesome. The way I chose my Cascade was to play a song that I love on many different Gibson's and the Cascade just felt right. It had the right tone, but which Gibson doesn't?

Good luck on making such a tough decision.

Archived