Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Genesis Reissue?

EpiEric

Epiphone have posted a topic to their Facebook page "What do you think of the Genesis"

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=144387482280073&topic=122

"Take a look at the mock-ups and let us know what you think. This would be a solid Mahogany body and set neck with Rosewood fingerboard, LockTone Stopbar and Tune-o-matic, Gibson USA BurstBucker pickups, 2-Volume controls and 1-Master Tone control. Thanks for your feedback!"

http://www.epiphone.com/images/GenesisMock.jpg

I assume this means that a reissue is coming in the near future. Would be cool if they announced it at NAMM. Epiphone is really on a roll lately.

I'm sure if they went into production they would be a huge seller for them, as many remarked on FB, they should add the extra tone control.

I know one member here that would be over the moon to see them re-issued, hey Brian.

Speaking of Brian: When I see the small horns on this guitar's body I am reminded of the "Red Special" (Brian May's home-built guitar). I think the diminutive horns will evoke a strong love/hate response. Just making them larger without changing the angle would give it a Danelectro DC-59 body shape.

I think the Les Paul's horn is perfect.

Been jonesing for a Genesis for a long time, keep getting outbid.

A reissue would depend on $$$$$$$ and build Quality.

Soooooo, I went another route... It's my "Po' Man's" Genesis, but

the SUCKA is built like a Freekin' Tank. Who woulda known? Cost me

$110.00 on ebay, now running $179.00 - $249.00. And YES, I would buy

ANOTHER for even $179.00! [thumbup]

Jay Turser JT-200 Pro

100_0294.jpg

100_0293.jpg

Supa Coo'. DO IT EPIPHONE!

As much as I feel that Gibson is one of the worst run companies in the whole country, the Epi division seems to be heading in the right direction. Maybe the boys over at Crimson Permanent Assurance could get Gibson running better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX61PUZ3xkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iakR7sB0skw

Agreed. I'm a big fan of P90s now, and you can't easily retro-fit them to humbucker guitars. A few more Epi LP or G400 finishes with P90s would be good; Epis' P90s sound closer to Gibsons than their humbuckers do.

I knew that early Santana, Iommi, Leslie West, Martin Barre and Zal Cleminson stuff was played with P90s, and they got great sounds. I read recently that Gilmours' solo on Brick In The Wall was played on an old P90 equipped LP too. I'd always assumed that was a Fender.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of P90s now, and you can't easily retro-fit them to humbucker guitars.

That maybe true of P90 sized pickups but GFS, Kent Armstrong, SD and many other pickup manufacturers make humbucker sized P90s that are drop in replacements for existing humbucker equiped guitars making it an extremely easy upgrade.

That maybe true of P90 sized pickups but GFS, Kent Armstrong, SD and many other pickup manufacturers make humbucker sized P90s that are drop in replacements for existing humbucker equiped guitars making it an extremely easy upgrade.

Yeah, that may be true as well, but Epi actually makes a pretty decent P90, but they currently don't offer *any* solidbody guitars with said P90's (unless you count the '56 Goldtop, but that's a "special run" and I'm not sure if they're still making those.) Why should the end users have to spend extra $$$ to make the upgrade?

I've only really been following this forum (along with another Les Paul forum) for less than a year now, but one thing is pretty clear: The people want their P90's!

NB: I'd like to post this in the "Talk to Jim Rosenberg" thread, but I can't seem to get access rights to post there... [confused] Maybe someone here who has privileges can lend a hand...?

Agreed. I'm a big fan of P90s now, and you can't easily retro-fit them to humbucker guitars.

Yeah, that may be true as well, but Epi actually makes a pretty decent P90, but they currently don't offer *any* solidbody guitars with said P90's (unless you count the '56 Goldtop, but that's a "special run" and I'm not sure if they're still making those.) Why should the end users have to spend extra $$ to make the upgrade?

I've only really been following this forum (along with another Les Paul forum) for less than a year now, but one thing is pretty clear: The people want their P90's!

I agree that'd be great if Epi produced a P90 solidbody, that wasn't my point.

I was replying to the statement made by antwhi2001 in regard to P90s, that, "you can't easily retro-fit them to humbucker guitars".

Yeah, that may be true as well, but Epi actually makes a pretty decent P90, but they currently don't offer *any* solidbody guitars with said P90's unless you count the '56 Goldtop, but that's a "special run"

Wrong. The '56 Goldtop is sill in production, because they sell like hotcakes. And there's also the new Les Paul Special with twin P-90s.

648015.jpg

686773.jpg

I don't think a Genesis reissue will be successful for the same reasons the original was not successful. And now, unlike the late 70s, the market is crowded with inexpensive Les Paul alternatives.

However, if they issued the Tak Matsumoto LP doublecut outside of Japan, I'd be interested in one, and I think it would sell very well.

I'd also like to see all of the Elitist series reinstated so that those of us who missed those models including the mini-hum Sheraton, Byrdland, Broadway, Dot, could get them. Also an Elitist Zephyr would sell well IMHO.

Wrong. The '56 Goldtop is sill in production, because they sell like hotcakes. And there's also the new Les Paul Special with twin P-90s.

The only information I can find on the P-90 Specials indicates that they're also "Limited Editions", but I can't find anything about them on either Epiphone's or Gibson's websites, only on retailer websites like GC, MF, etc.

I wonder how long they'll keep the '56 in production?

Been jonesing for a Genesis for a long time, keep getting outbid.

A reissue would depend on $$$$$$$ and build Quality.

Soooooo, I went another route... It's my "Po' Man's" Genesis, but

the SUCKA is built like a Freekin' Tank. Who woulda known? Cost me

$110.00 on ebay, now running $179.00 - $249.00. And YES, I would buy

ANOTHER for even $179.00! [thumbup]

Jay Turser JT-200 Pro

100_0294.jpg

100_0293.jpg

I got to spend some time on one of these Tursers that some one sold to the store. I was VERY impressed with that guitar ... a ton of value for the money.

I love the look of these Genesis guitars. If Epiphone does decide to go forward with production, that'll be TWO new Epi's in the stable this year for sure (I'm just waiting for my Nighthawk to roll off the line ... it's a done deal for me!)

Jim

I don't think a Genesis reissue will be successful for the same reasons the original was not successful. And now, unlike the late 70s, the market is crowded with inexpensive Les Paul alternatives.

That's funny Brian, of all the members here I thought you'd be the most enthusiastic.

No, that's not it. They're not particularly valuable or sought-after guitars, so nothing to devalue. You can still get them dirt cheap on craigslist and sometimes on eBay if you're patient.

A reissue might even drive the price of the originals up because it would be relatively expensive to make them with anything near the quality of materials that were available in1978.

I just don't think they would be popular due to weight, aesthetics, and sound similarity to so many other guitars. Same deal with the Epi Scroll model.

But distribute the Tak doublecut worldwide and they'd have trouble making enough to satisfy demand.

Just my opinion of course.

Archived