• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Been such a long time since I have been to the old Gibby Forum. I changed jobs about 9 years ago and simply haven't had time like I used to to chat on the forums. Good to see my pinned post about  Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE!  is still there!! wow!!

I'm still playing and wanted to share my version of Doc Watson  -  Greenville Trestle. Please like and subscribe my YouTube channel ...I'm am trying to get a few subscribers since I am trying to record and post more these days.  Sorry about the thumbnail for the video...that was the best option YouTube gave me....do they deliberately chose the worst thumbnails for your video hoping it will make you pay for a premium account? 

8 hours ago, TomG76 said:

Speed Trap Town by Jason Isbell. A terrific song butchered by me on my new J-50. 

Hey, I really liked that! Both you and that guitar sound great. That phrasing must be difficult to pull off as well as you did. 

There is a small clash between the so obviously American subject matter and your equally obvious British accent, but hey you can just be you, right?

Lars

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

Thanks, Lars.

This is an ongoing issue! I love Americana but have a very plummy British accent. Affecting an American one would not sit right, but I can't bear not to sing these songs.

So I think I'll just have to be something of a curiosity!

16 minutes ago, TomG76 said:

Thanks, Lars.

This is an ongoing issue! I love Americana but have a very plummy British accent. Affecting an American one would not sit right, but I can't bear not to sing these songs.

So I think I'll just have to be something of a curiosity!

Hey, don't worry about that. I didn't mean it as a negative. It would be wrong to pretend. You can only be you. Being Swedish, I can't sound ”authentic” with a song in any English accent. Imagine me doing an early Billy Bragg song... 😂

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done, TomG76.

It's not easy to sing in a style without taking an inadvertent exploration of an accent not your own. Singing has a sort of diminishing effect on accent strength. As long as you have the emotion right, few care if the accent is "off", even though it may sound different at times. Sincerity trumps most other things.

No matter what happens, it can't be as bad as the Lawrence Welk singers covering "One Toke Over The Line". (Proper decorum prohibits me from posting that video here. )

My wife is not a fan when my Country covers find me crossing the line from style to accent imitation. "It's just not you."   Yes Ma'am.   🙂

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 12:52 PM, PatriotsBiker said:

Nicely done, TomG76.

It's not easy to sing in a style without taking an inadvertent exploration of an accent not your own. Singing has a sort of diminishing effect on accent strength. As long as you have the emotion right, few care if the accent is "off", even though it may sound different at times. Sincerity trumps most other things.

No matter what happens, it can't be as bad as the Lawrence Welk singers covering "One Toke Over The Line". (Proper decorum prohibits me from posting that video here. )

My wife is not a fan when my Country covers find me crossing the line from style to accent imitation. "It's just not you."   Yes Ma'am.   🙂

Really appreciate this - thank you.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:52 PM, PatriotsBiker said:

Nicely done, TomG76.

I just watched the Lawrence Welk Singers do One Toke Over The Line.

MAGIC. Thank you, @PatriotsBiker

• 1 month later...