Gibson Guitar Board: Your Acoustical Performances!!! - Gibson Guitar Board

• (52 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Acoustical Performances!!! Strut your stuff here!!!

#21 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:08 AM

Anne... Thank you for that.. a most heartfelt performance. Considering the venue, it all comes across very nicely. The screen behind adds a
good effect; I'd like to hear that in a smaller setting with some living room-friendly percussion.

And how cool is being able to make music with your own daughter(?)... I could only imagine; sowing the seeds for music and art at home. Nice.

A happy New Year to all. SB.

#22 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

Wow, thanks for sharing, what an amazing site you have !

I throughly ejoyed listening all your music and in particular samples of so many super vintage Gibsons and Martins.

Its now thoroughly in my favourites !

chees.

View Posttpbiii, on 31 December 2010 - 06:14 PM, said:

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Square 11' Hummingbird TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#23 User is offline   MR GIBS 

• MisterGibs
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria, East Europe

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

View PostMatthew Sear, on 31 December 2010 - 04:35 AM, said:

Mr Gibs, was that an original piece? Either way it was really well played and I loved your tone changes with the right hand. Is that pick up recommended? What would it sound like on a nylon guitar? Sorry for the bombardment of questions...

Hi there ;-) Happy New Year!
This is a collaboration original. The lyrics are written by Nazim Hikmet (a turkish communist poet in 1955 - ot the tenth anniversary of the Hiroshima atom bomb explosion). This translation in english is not a very exaxct, but there are several songs based ot just that translation (made - I suppose - by Janette Turner).
For some reason I never knew this poetry, nor the songs until last week, when I found this poetry in the facebook notes of a bulgarian woman-poet - a facebook friend of mine. I was so impressed that I decided to make a song and the next day I made the song for some two hours. Later on I understood that there are songs on those words - even "The Birds" have a song (I did not know this till 29.12.2010!).
So the answer to the first question is that this song that I posted is my collaboration original.
The second question - about the pick - well - I can not play well without a pick on the SJ 200. So I use it. First I recorded this song with my other guitar fingerpicking, but I liked more the pick version with my "M-R GIBS" - a very powerfull guitar and that's how I posted the version with the pick.
About what this song would sound like on a nylon strins guitar - I'll have the answer in (let's say) two months when I'll et my new baby from the luthier - a concert classical custom made for me. The real translation of the lyrics is not just that wich I used for my song. The exact translation of what the poet Nazim Hikmed wrote is:
Kiz Cocugu Little Girl

Kapilari calan benim It's me who knocks
kapilari birer birer. the doors one by one.
Gozunuze gorunemem You can't see me
goze gorunmez oluler. --the deads are invisible.

Hirosima'da oleli It has been around ten years
oluyor bir on yil kadar. since I've dead in Hiroshima.
Yedi yasinda bir kizim, I'm seven years old
buyumez olu cocuklar. --dead children do not grow.

Saclarim tutustu once, First my hair caught fire,
gozlerim yandi kavruldu. my eyes burnt.
Bir avuc kul oluverdim, I've turned into a handful of ash,
kulum havaya savruldu. and that was scattered into the air.

Benim sizden kendim icin I don't ask you for anything
hicbir sey istedigim yok. for myself.
Seker bile yiyemez ki A child who burns like a piece of paper
kagit gibi yanan cocuk. cannot eat even candy, anyway.

Caliyorum kapinizi I knock your door,
teyze, amca, bir imza ver. dear lady, dear sir, give me your signature
Cocuklar oldurulmesin so that children won't get killed,
seker de yiyebilsinler. so that they can eat candy.

In the context of your last question - I think that when I try to make this song in turkish language I'll use my new guitar and will make it fingerpicking and in a more tender way...

MR GIBS - Gibson Acoustic SJ 200 Custom Elite born on 06.02.2007 in Bozeman Montana USA - K&K Trinity Mini System installed inside
BILLY JOE - Gibson Acoustic J180 Custom Billie Joe Armstrong JAENH1 born on 18.11.2013 in Boseman Montana USA - Fishman VT pickup
COBRA/VIPER - Gibson Acoustic J45 Cobra Burst Limited Run of 75, born on 31.10.2013 in Bozeman Montana USA
MRS SUNNY GIBS - Gibson Acoustic J 35 born on 20.03.2013 in Bozeman, Montana USA -
K&K Trinity Mini System installed inside
...and a lot of non Gibson gear... including
MR GUILD -
Guild Acoustic D 55 born on 13.11.2013 in New Hartford, Connecticut USA - K&K Trinity Mini System installed inside
MRS ROZIE - 12 string Guild Acoustic F-412 born on 10.12.2013 in New Hartford, Connecticut USA - D Tar pickup inside
OLD CHRISTOPHER - Martin HD-28 - born in Nazareth, Pensilvania in 1990 - K&K Triniti Mini System installed inside
ANGELIA - Zemaitis ZAJ 200 - born somewhere in China God only knows when in 20166
ANGEL - PRS Angelus SE - born somewhere in Southern Korea God knows when, Ghost Graph Tech modular system inside for Roland G55

#24 User is offline   ponty 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBermuda - formally West Yorks UK

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Some real nice clips here. I wish I could perform instead of just tinkering.
When I see Matthew Sear play I tend to shy away from saying 'I play guitar!"
That is top playing Matthew.

#25 User is offline   Duende 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

View PostMR GIBS, on 01 January 2011 - 08:27 AM, said:

Hi there ;-) Happy New Year!
This is a collaboration original. The lyrics are written by Nazim Hikmet (a turkish communist poet in 1955 - ot the tenth anniversary of the Hiroshima atom bomb explosion). This translation in english is not a very exaxct, but there are several songs based ot just that translation (made - I suppose - by Janette Turner).
For some reason I never knew this poetry, nor the songs until last week, when I found this poetry in the facebook notes of a bulgarian woman-poet - a facebook friend of mine. I was so impressed that I decided to make a song and the next day I made the song for some two hours. Later on I understood that there are songs on those words - even "The Birds" have a song (I did not know this till 29.12.2010!).
So the answer to the first question is that this song that I posted is my collaboration original.
The second question - about the pick - well - I can not play well without a pick on the SJ 200. So I use it. First I recorded this song with my other guitar fingerpicking, but I liked more the pick version with my "M-R GIBS" - a very powerfull guitar and that's how I posted the version with the pick.
About what this song would sound like on a nylon strins guitar - I'll have the answer in (let's say) two months when I'll et my new baby from the luthier - a concert classical custom made for me. The real translation of the lyrics is not just that wich I used for my song. The exact translation of what the poet Nazim Hikmed wrote is:
Kiz Cocugu Little Girl

Kapilari calan benim It's me who knocks
kapilari birer birer. the doors one by one.
Gozunuze gorunemem You can't see me
goze gorunmez oluler. --the deads are invisible.

Hirosima'da oleli It has been around ten years
oluyor bir on yil kadar. since I've dead in Hiroshima.
Yedi yasinda bir kizim, I'm seven years old
buyumez olu cocuklar. --dead children do not grow.

Saclarim tutustu once, First my hair caught fire,
gozlerim yandi kavruldu. my eyes burnt.
Bir avuc kul oluverdim, I've turned into a handful of ash,
kulum havaya savruldu. and that was scattered into the air.

Benim sizden kendim icin I don't ask you for anything
hicbir sey istedigim yok. for myself.
Seker bile yiyemez ki A child who burns like a piece of paper
kagit gibi yanan cocuk. cannot eat even candy, anyway.

Caliyorum kapinizi I knock your door,
teyze, amca, bir imza ver. dear lady, dear sir, give me your signature
Cocuklar oldurulmesin so that children won't get killed,
seker de yiyebilsinler. so that they can eat candy.

In the context of your last question - I think that when I try to make this song in turkish language I'll use my new guitar and will make it fingerpicking and in a more tender way...

cheers for sharing that with me, those are lovely and such sad words, I also wanted to ask if that was a seymore duncan pick up - like a woody maybe?
I can feel your excitement of getting your guitar made. There is nothing quite like having a one of a kind instrument made by a person!

#26 User is offline   MR GIBS 

• MisterGibs

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

View PostMatthew Sear, on 01 January 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

cheers for sharing that with me, those are lovely and such sad words, I also wanted to ask if that was a seymore duncan pick up - like a woody maybe?
I can feel your excitement of getting your guitar made. There is nothing quite like having a one of a kind instrument made by a person!

Matt

The pickup on the soundhole of my M-R GIBS is an L.R.Baggs M1.
The sound of this SJ 200 Custom Elite is just stunning...
And in my other hihg end metal-string guitar (I call "The GALE") the pickup is L.R.Bags i-beam.
I love L.R.Bags! For me L.R.Bags is a very authentc acoustic sound.
By the way - I play this song "I come and stand at every door" with a capo on the second position but without clamping the string 6. So it is in a (let's say) "open E".
By the way - this is the best sound that I can extract from my M-R GIBs - with a pick and with a capo on the second fret in "Open E".
MR GIBS - Gibson Acoustic SJ 200 Custom Elite born on 06.02.2007 in Bozeman Montana USA - K&K Trinity Mini System installed inside
BILLY JOE - Gibson Acoustic J180 Custom Billie Joe Armstrong JAENH1 born on 18.11.2013 in Boseman Montana USA - Fishman VT pickup
COBRA/VIPER - Gibson Acoustic J45 Cobra Burst Limited Run of 75, born on 31.10.2013 in Bozeman Montana USA
MRS SUNNY GIBS - Gibson Acoustic J 35 born on 20.03.2013 in Bozeman, Montana USA -
MR GUILD -
Guild Acoustic D 55 born on 13.11.2013 in New Hartford, Connecticut USA - K&K Trinity Mini System installed inside
MRS ROZIE - 12 string Guild Acoustic F-412 born on 10.12.2013 in New Hartford, Connecticut USA - D Tar pickup inside
OLD CHRISTOPHER - Martin HD-28 - born in Nazareth, Pensilvania in 1990 - K&K Triniti Mini System installed inside
ANGELIA - Zemaitis ZAJ 200 - born somewhere in China God only knows when in 20166
ANGEL - PRS Angelus SE - born somewhere in Southern Korea God knows when, Ghost Graph Tech modular system inside for Roland G55

#27 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

Anne, I'm envious of your songwriting talent!

I also wish I had the time to go to an "open mic" forum every once in a while.

Thanks for posting those!

Here's a stupid thing I did yesterday. I'm not sure why the video and audio don't match up. They are on my computer, but when I transfer them to photobucket they become detached.

Danged technology...which is why I normally just play an acoustic!)

https://www.youtube....h?v=6f6mzIuP44A

#28 User is offline   AnneS 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostDanvillRob, on 01 January 2011 - 11:12 AM, said:

Anne, I'm envious of your songwriting talent!

I also wish I had the time to go to an "open mic" forum every once in a while.

Thanks for posting those!

Here's a stupid thing I did yesterday. I'm not sure why the video and audio don't match up. They are on my computer, but when I transfer them to photobucket they become detached.

Danged technology...which is why I normally just play an acoustic!)

http://s889.photobuc...=ZOOM0001-1.mp4

Why, thank you kindly. [blush] The songwriting thing has quite literally come upon me in the last year or so, and it's a wild and wonderful thing.

The open mic experience is, imho, not to be missed. You have to be willing 'not to care' (in a good way) what comes out of your mouth that day and to ride with the flow. Truly, anything can happen--there are horrible flops and moments of pure magic, and both can happen to anyone, anytime. And since everyone else is taking the same kind of risk, players and patrons alike become incredibly supportive, which creates an environment that feeds everybody equally, no matter the musical chops. (Of course, alot depends on the venue and the proprietor, too.)

Your link didn't work! I wonder if you'd have better luck with photobucket if you saved/converted your file to an mp3 before uploading...?
Gibson 2000 J-100XT
Gibson 1964 LG-1
Gibson 2014 J-45 Elite Custom
Ibanez PN1 Parlor

"He woulda taken the other road, but he didn't think the lake was that deep." JPrine

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel

#29 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

View PostAnneS, on 01 January 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

Your link didn't work! I wonder if you'd have better luck with photobucket if you saved/converted your file to an mp3 before uploading...?

Anne, I changed the link, but I'll have to investigate converting from MP4 to MP3. As I said, I got the recorder for Christmas, and I'm still playin' with it.

One thing for sure, I'm never embarrassed to play....anywhere anytime, and if I was worried about "being good", I'd only play in the confines of my own home!

If/when I get something I feel worthy of posting on YouTube, I will.

https://www.youtube....h?v=eqrxk70BWKs

#30 User is offline   djroge1 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCaldonia

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

It's a few years old but this is a link to my old all acoustic jazz band.

Two acoustic guitars (I play all the lead work)
One bass (so not really acoustic... he was supposed to buy a stand up bass but that never happened)
One sax

For those who like a little classical flavor mixed with jazz listen to the second song "Suite in D"
http://www.myspace.com/elginjazzgroup

Ignorance+Ego+Insecurity+Technology=funny

#31 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

Here's some pics from our epic 3 hour NYE show, lots of fun, and one video with mrs euroaussie ..!

http://www.facebook....3832&aid=317678

http://www.facebook....150110808434434

cheers.

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Square 11' Hummingbird TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#32 User is offline   Mojorule 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationJust a-ramblin' round...

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostMatthew Sear, on 30 December 2010 - 06:29 PM, said:

This is me at Oxford University in the Summer playing a piece by the composer Villa - Lobos

Matt

Beautiful, Matt - my favourite classical guitar composer, and the only one remaining in my tiny repertoire (can still just about get through Preludes 3 and 4 and Étude 1 on a good day with the wind behind me, but I never finished learning the first prelude). Also had to do a double-take on the venue which I know well from a past life, as I didn't recognize the altarpiece, but did recognize just about everything else. Checked on your website, and see that you are due to return to Hertford College - this was filmed in the Chapel there, wasn't it?

#33 User is offline   djroge1 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCaldonia

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostMatthew Sear, on 30 December 2010 - 06:29 PM, said:

This is me at Oxford University in the Summer playing a piece by the composer Villa - Lobos

Matt

Matt,

That was very good but let me make a couple of suggestions.

1. I can hear your fingers moving over the strings... could you put some flat wounds on there?

2. I see you forgot your pick. Perhaps you should always keep one in your pocket. I use the "watch pocket" on my jeans to keep my picks.

Oh and one more thing... If you wore some heels like the band Kiss then you wouldn't need that foot stool. I guess you could just saw the legs off the chair a few inches too huh?

[lol]

#34 User is offline   Duende 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

^ Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 User is offline   Duende 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:49 AM

Mojorule, cheers
Drodge, I just listened to suite in D and it is truly beautiful!!! That tone is such a flamenco type sound and so emotional - thanks for introducing me. Your solo playing is so fluent and mixes so many styles. Have you heard Antonio Forcione? It reminded me of Antonio Forcione meets Paco Pena meets Joe Pass. AwesomePosted Image

and completely agree Anne's song writing rocks!

#36 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

View Postdjroge1, on 02 January 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

Matt,

That was very good but let me make a couple of suggestions.

1. I can hear your fingers moving over the strings... could you put some flat wounds on there?

2. I see you forgot your pick. Perhaps you should always keep one in your pocket. I use the "watch pocket" on my jeans to keep my picks.

Oh and one more thing... If you wore some heels like the band Kiss then you wouldn't need that foot stool. I guess you could just saw the legs off the chair a few inches too huh?

[lol]

Oh man...you made me blow coffee out my nose this morning!

https://www.youtube....h?v=nwXg589Ppxs

#37 User is offline   djroge1 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCaldonia

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

View PostDanvillRob, on 03 January 2011 - 08:55 AM, said:

Oh man...you made me blow coffee out my nose this morning!

Glad I could help in that... I think.

Just having some fun. Matt is truly and excellent player with a very nice touch. One day my wife and I will make it back to England and it would be fun to hang out with him and his wife, play guitar, and eat pizza.

#38 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

View Postdjroge1, on 03 January 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

Glad I could help in that... I think.

Just having some fun. Matt is truly and excellent player with a very nice touch. One day my wife and I will make it back to England and it would be fun to hang out with him and his wife, play guitar, and eat pizza.

I don't mind the coffee out the nose...it's just that it stained my tie!

Matt IS an excellent player... I only wish I could do that!

https://www.youtube....h?v=YVGwhs0LX8A

#39 User is offline   MR GIBS 

• MisterGibs

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

View PostDanvillRob, on 03 January 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

I don't mind the coffee out the nose...it's just that it stained my tie!

Matt IS an excellent player... I only wish I could do that!

Matt is a real musician, a real guitarist. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
We (me) are (am) just strummers [cool]
Here is a song in romanian language and below the link - a translation of the lyrics in french.

My link

Traduction en francais: Sonia Badulici:

C'était un chemin à la lisière de la forêt
Pareil avec celui décrit dans les contes
Et nous étions des enfants tous les deux
Aujourd'hui je ne sais plus où es tu.

Et le chemin descendait dans la ville
Auprès de voûtes avec des roses...
Et nous étions silencieux tous les deux

Nous nous sommes baisé, nous étions suivis
Par des étranges frémissements humains
Et nous étions seulement nous deux

MR GUILD -

#40 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

View PostMR GIBS, on 03 January 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

Matt is a real musician, a real guitarist. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
We (me) are (am) just strummers [cool]

My link

Yes, but some of us (you) can actually sing!

https://www.youtube....h?v=LKAUX3Wb33A

Share this topic:

• (52 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users