Gibson Guitar Board: Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE! - Gibson Guitar Board

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE! Lets discuss the different brands and materials

#181 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

E-minor7, on 12 April 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

Congrats on the ceramic saddle, they are special ^

Apart from that - any thoughts on the isolated sonic effect of the brass pins ?

I'm a fan. Greater volume and sustain especially on vintage guitars. Also they tend to counteract the effect of a slightly worn bridge plate in terms of balance and tone. They haven't done much to supercharge three or four mahogany top Martins, all newer, of different dimensions that I've since unloaded - so can't say whether they'd benefit newer guitars with spruce tops or not.

#182 User is offline   generaldreedle 

• LocationSeattle

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

I'll repost my question in this thread. I have a J45 Custom/Rosewood. I was wondering what other owners of this fine guitar used for strings and why. I am learning (or trying to learn) bluegrass flat picking. Thanks in advance.

#183 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

OldCowboy, on 23 April 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

I'm a fan. Greater volume and sustain especially on vintage guitars. Also they tend to counteract the effect of a slightly worn bridge plate in terms of balance and tone. They haven't done much to supercharge three or four mahogany top Martins, all newer, of different dimensions that I've since unloaded - so can't say whether they'd benefit newer guitars with spruce tops or not.

Must say you tempt me to try a set - maybe a summer project there.
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#184 User is offline   stephencoh 

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

I've now had the D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings on my J15 for over two months, playing two to three hours a day. They are a little duller and a little harder to keep in tune than they were but still sound and feel pretty good. I feel no need to replace them yet. I sometimes give them a quick wipe down after playing but not always. I've never had a set of uncoated strings last this long.

#185 User is offline   Jesse_Dylan 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

Wanted to report that I gave the Nickel Bronze lights a try on my J-15. I was disappointed, because they did not sound broken-in out of the box like I'd hoped. They remind me a lot of the Martin Retros, which many people swear by, but to me, they are rather garish, bright, and just never seem to tame down.

Sadly, I have been doing a lot of alternate tuning back and forth on my J-15, and I think I have a g-string nut snag (whoa! tmi!), so my g-string snapped before I ever found out if the Nickel Bronze would break in or not. I do plan to try them on some other guitars (I bought more packs than I should have), but for someone like me who likes warm and tame strings, and was hoping they would be that, they are not.

I bought some Dunlop PB lights (I didn't even know they made strings) to try, so I might try them next, and bought some Gibson Masterbuilt PB. Right now I have replaced the Nickel Bronze with D'Addario 80/20 Mediums on the J-15. I think I like PB on the J-15 best, though (and 80/20 best on the Hummingbird--go figure--that is what each came with for me, so maybe I'm biased).

Edit: PS I did want to agree that I think these "non-traditional" traditional strings (Nickel Bronze, Retros, and the only ones I truly like, the JP Pure Nickels) really last a lot longer than PB and 80/20. I think they handle humidity and corrosion a lot better. Seems like I have to change uncoated 80/20 and PB fairly regularly, even if I don't play them a whole lot, but I can leave these "silver" strings on forever.
WM-00 (2001)
Martin M-36 custom (2010)
J-15 (2014)
Hummingbird Vintage (2015)
SJ-200 Special Heritage Cherry Sunburst (2016)
Martin D. Jr. A 2 Sapele (2016)
Guild D-20 (2016)

#186 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

Yesterday I encountered a 1978 Mart D-35 on a shop wall. Took it down and it sounded excellent.

An old D-35 rider myself, I asked about the strings and it turned out they were Everly Sessions ph. b. 12-53's.

Of course bought a set for my own 1984'er to try and see where that one would go with the same steel as the splendid 78'er - and to compare.

Anyone knows these strings ? , , , as I remember it they haven't been mentioned on this Board and I wasn't aware of them at all.

Just curious here.

You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#187 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

E-minor7, on 17 August 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

Yesterday I encountered a 1978 Mart D-35 on a shop wall. Took it down and it sounded excellent.

An old D-35 rider myself, I asked about the strings and it turned out they were Everly Sessions ph. b. 12-53's.

Of course bought a set for my own 1984'er to try and see where that one would go with the same steel as the splendid 78'er - and to compare.

Anyone knows these strings ? , , , as I remember it they haven't been mentioned on this Board and I wasn't aware of them at all.

Just curious here.

I've heard good things about Everly, but haven't tried a set.

#188 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

Jesse_Dylan, on 20 May 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

Wanted to report that I gave the Nickel Bronze lights a try on my J-15. I was disappointed, because they did not sound broken-in out of the box like I'd hoped. They remind me a lot of the Martin Retros, which many people swear by, but to me, they are rather garish, bright, and just never seem to tame down.

Sadly, I have been doing a lot of alternate tuning back and forth on my J-15, and I think I have a g-string nut snag (whoa! tmi!), so my g-string snapped before I ever found out if the Nickel Bronze would break in or not. I do plan to try them on some other guitars (I bought more packs than I should have), but for someone like me who likes warm and tame strings, and was hoping they would be that, they are not.

I bought some Dunlop PB lights (I didn't even know they made strings) to try, so I might try them next, and bought some Gibson Masterbuilt PB. Right now I have replaced the Nickel Bronze with D'Addario 80/20 Mediums on the J-15. I think I like PB on the J-15 best, though (and 80/20 best on the Hummingbird--go figure--that is what each came with for me, so maybe I'm biased).

Edit: PS I did want to agree that I think these "non-traditional" traditional strings (Nickel Bronze, Retros, and the only ones I truly like, the JP Pure Nickels) really last a lot longer than PB and 80/20. I think they handle humidity and corrosion a lot better. Seems like I have to change uncoated 80/20 and PB fairly regularly, even if I don't play them a whole lot, but I can leave these "silver" strings on forever.

Dean Markley used to be the king of warm and tame - and a friend of mine years back said you could leave 'em on forever....

#189 User is offline   Lukec88 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLjubljana - Slovenia

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

Guys, which type of strings do you prefer for Gibson guitar, 80/20 bronze or phospohor bronze?

On the sites I was reading that 80/20 are more like traditional sounding strings and has thin layer of coating on it while phospohor bronze has quite thick layer of coating and has maybe less high bell like tone but leasts longer.

I need to change the strings on my songwriter (rosewood) and don't know which to put on it.

#190 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

Lukec88, on 06 November 2016 - 10:18 PM, said:

Guys, which type of strings do you prefer for Gibson guitar, 80/20 bronze or phospohor bronze?

On the sites I was reading that 80/20 are more like traditional sounding strings and has thin layer of coating on it while phospohor bronze has quite thick layer of coating and has maybe less high bell like tone but leasts longer.

I need to change the strings on my songwriter (rosewood) and don't know which to put on it.

Traditionaly for me, Rosewood = 80/20 and Mahogany = PB
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42

#191 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

duluthdan, on 17 November 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

Traditionaly for me, Rosewood = 80/20 and Mahogany = PB

Hadn't really thought about it in those terms, but now that you mention it, that's exactly my approach as well👍

#192 User is offline   clayville 

• 356 is my number
  • LocationBoston

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Just replaced the saddle on my mahogany/spruce 1995 J-100 Extra with a new pre-shaped bone saddle from Bob Colosi. After sending along accurate measurements of the original saddle, I only needed about 30 minutes of minor sanding and fiddling to get the new one to fit beautifully - a little off the bottom and a little more off an end with sandpaper is all it took. The one I was replacing had some string wear grooves along the top that were, I thought, giving me some unwanted overtones. I couldn't be happier with the results: loud, even, clear tone before I even changed the strings (I had left the old set on so I could tweak the height to preference a few times) and my ol' cannon really came alive with a new set of Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Custom Lights after that.

I only mention this becuase I'd procrastinated for about a decade on this simple procedure - I was too chicken to attempt it for many years, but it really couldn't have been easier or the results more pleasing if you're in the same boat and "considering" like I was. Colosi was great to work with, does good work and was very helpful to me.

#193 User is offline   generaldreedle 

• LocationSeattle

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

Just got the saddle and nut on my j45 custom replaced with bone, sounds really pretty and clear, now looking for the right strings!

#194 User is offline   RHANK 

• LocationNashville, TN

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

View Postgeneraldreedle, on 29 April 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

I'll repost my question in this thread. I have a J45 Custom/Rosewood. I was wondering what other owners of this fine guitar used for strings and why. I am learning (or trying to learn) bluegrass flat picking. Thanks in advance.

I also have the J 45 Custom/Rosewood and the set of strings that I have on now are the Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20. I usually use the D'Addarrio PB Lights, but the Gibson are sounding pretty darn good so I might bite on them again.

#195 User is offline   generaldreedle 

• LocationSeattle

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thanks RHANK

#196 User is offline   Richie321 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Lol ive just posted about this

#197 User is offline   ksdaddy 

• Me lose brain? Uh-oh!
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

I dug out my '89 J200 for a little bit last night. Strings are dead and the saddle is way too high for my liking. I made that saddle myself out of bone several years ago but it must have been during a dry time! It still has the original rosewood pins and they are some kinda ratty now. They look okay when installed but they have serious chips, missing slivers and such where they contact the guitar itself. I would like to give "better" pins a try to satisfy my curiosity and either validate or refute my skepticism. Trouble is, I don't know which pins to order. I'm sure there are size charts out there but would Gibson have a 'default' size, at least in any given era?

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users