Gibson Brands Forums: Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE! - Gibson Brands Forums

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE! Lets discuss the different brands and materials

#201 User is offline   rindcorp 

• Group: All Access

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

View Postrindcorp, on 11 October 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

I've read this thread with great interest. My Martin is currently in the shop getting the action adjusted. I'm contemplating a bone saddle (and now after reading this thread, a bone nut and different pins!). One thing that was lightly touched on in a couple of comments, but not really elaborated on was: has anyone considered what the manufacturers intentions were? Are Martin and Gibson using plastic bridges because they are cheaper, or because they think they sound the best? My Martin was very expensive when new and I'd like to think they weren't being cheap with the materials! (but would not be surprised if they were).

Well, I just checked my guitar specs - looks like it came with a bone saddle, nut, and bridge pins! Maybe that answers the question? (mine is a D-28 Marquis)

#202 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

View Postrindcorp, on 11 October 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Well, I just checked my guitar specs - looks like it came with a bone saddle, nut, and bridge pins! Maybe that answers the question? (mine is a D-28 Marquis)

The pins as well !?!, , , aha. I allow myself to doubt that, but could be wr. . .

The topic has been touched earlier in the common section.
Some had the idea the plants use plastic so people can upgrade themselves (if it is an upgrade - as we know tusq is more even than organic bone).
Another thought could be the cost, , , and of course the possibility to present bone on deluxe versions as known with the Gibson TVs.

You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

#203 User is offline   stephencoh 

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

I've recently been using D'Addario 85/15 light medium strings on my J15. I really like the extra bottom end and the feel that comes with the slightly heavier 4th, 5th and 6th strings. I may at some point experiment with using a 13 and 17 with this set. Next up though I intend to try Rotosound Tru Bronze which have the similar gauages but in my long time favourite 80/20 material. I'd say these are well worth a try if you are looking for more bottom end and than 12-53 give and like to dig in without moving to true mediums.

#204 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Never thought it would happen, , , , or did I.
Was there a clue, , , a tiny spot somewhere inside that knew it should be tried out sooner or later :
The effect of brass pins.

Well, here we are after 3-4 days with them in 3 guitars. Both contemporary Birds and the 2005 Custom Martin D-18. But only for A and low E.
Went back and forth several times and it was hard to judge.
Still it felt as if the bass came on a hair louder thus clearer, , , without losing thump or Gibson character, which of course would have been a no-go.

Not thought with this. Have to experiment further and ordered 4 sets more the day I got the first. The material is simply too otherly not to investigate.
And if it's placebo or the change is almost none, , , , it would be strange too. .

Takes a pair of mind-shades to see b[r]azz-pin E and A shine there on the bridge - but assume time will dampen them down.
That look will actually be rather cühl. .

#205 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

Got the 24 and from today have brass-bass in the Dove too.

This post has been edited by E-minor7: 07 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

#206 User is offline   PatriotsBiker 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

View PostE-minor7, on 25 June 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

Never thought it would happen, , , , or did I.
Was there a clue, , , a tiny spot somewhere inside that knew it should be tried out sooner or later :
The effect of brass pins.

Well, here we are after 3-4 days with them in 3 guitars. Both contemporary Birds and the 2005 Custom Martin D-18. But only for A and low E.
Went back and forth several times and it was hard to judge.
Still it felt as if the bass came on a hair louder thus clearer, , , without losing thump or Gibson character, which of course would have been a no-go.

Not thought with this. Have to experiment further and ordered 4 sets more the day I got the first. The material is simply too otherly not to investigate.
And if it's placebo or the change is almost none, , , , it would be strange too. .

Takes a pair of mind-shades to see b[r]azz-pin E and A shine there on the bridge - but assume time will dampen them down.
That look will actually be rather cühl. .

I wonder if you could speed the aging process - Overnight in some sort of brine or whatever else might not be great for brass?
2018 - Gibson Hummingbird
2015 - Taylor 614CE
2013 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro(59)
2014 - Epiphone Black Royale P93
2015 - Epiphone ES335 Custom
2005 - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (MIK)
2008 - MIM Tele - Modded to Keefocaster
2011 - Fender USA Strat Standard
2012 - Fender USA Telecaster
2009 - PRS SE Paul Allender
2007 - Gretsch 5120 Electromatic
2016 - Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Jet City Amps 20W JCA2112RC
Pro Tools based "Home Project Studio"

#207 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostPatriotsBiker, on 17 July 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

I wonder if you could speed the aging process - Overnight in some sort of brine or whatever else might not be great for brass?

Hereby done = 2 brass pins now swim in a bath of saltwater, organic lemon and vinegar-acid.
Will they still exist when I wake up tomorrow. .

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users