Gibson Guitar Board: Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE! - Gibson Guitar Board

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strings - Nut - Saddle - Pins - They are essential to TONE! Lets discuss the different brands and materials

#21 User is offline   nodehopper 

• Hack Player Extraordinaire
  • Group: Members
  • LocationForesthill

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

View PostIldedoni, on 25 January 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hi, I've a 2010 j45 and I'm changing it's original pins for Colosi's bone pins. Does anybody knows what is the proper size for replacement?
Many thanks
R

Bob has a description of how to measure your original pins. If you have dial or digital callipers it is real easy.

http://www.guitarsad...om/products.asp down just under the pin descriptions and pictures there is the info on how to measure yours.
Stephen ...... "Ain't no more potatoes, the frost have killed the vine ......
Well, the blues ain't nothin' but a good woman on your mind" MJH

Gibson CJ-165 --- Gibson J-35 --- Martin Ditson 111 --- John How - LBC

Martin 000-15S --- Martin 000-28EC --- Gibson LP Studio Premium Plus --- Danelectro U2

#22 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

I may have finally found the strings for my SWD.

I use DR Sunbeams for my mahogany guitars (Furch / CW) as they bring out the natural warmth of mahogany but found them too mellow for my rosewood SWD.

Tried Daddario 80/20's but found them on the other hand to lack warmth, so went looking for 'brightish' PB's.

After long time tried good ol' Daddario EJ16's PB's and so far they seem to be the perfect fit. Being natually bright they cut through the rosewood, but still bring warmth and I finally hear that lovelly note seperation that I was missing before.

Makes my GAS for a J-200 subside ... relief ..lol

Just wanted to share that.

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 11' Hummingbird TV, 08' Dove
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#23 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

View PostEuroAussie, on 31 January 2011 - 06:44 AM, said:

Makes my GAS for a J-200 subside ... relief ..lol

Just wanted to share that.

Appreciate it EuroAussie - what type of J-200 do you imagine ?

You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

View PostE-minor7, on 31 January 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Appreciate it EuroAussie - what type of J-200 do you imagine ?

Specifically the J-200 studio that Ive been playing regularly at my local guitar shop. Amazing tone, surprisingly singinificantly better tone than the J-200 standard that sits right next to it..

What we do on weekends:

#25 User is offline   jgwoods 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMA

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

Maybe it is my old man hearing but I find no discernible difference with bone vs plastic or ebony etc. As for strings I prefer the uncoated ones, GHS are cheap and work well, sound great and they last too. Picks make a big difference, and technique the most.

#26 User is offline   tartanbeastie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNot far from Saskatoon now.. but born and raised in the Scottish highlands

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

Has anyone tried these? http://cgi.ebay.ca/J...=item43a50602cb

My freshman electro acoustic is blue and i toyed with the idea of a set of these but dont want to ruin the tone. My other thought is to buy rosewood or ebony, possibly boxwood replacements.
"Still in this catch 22.. what am I supposed to do..?"

~ Tartanbeastie ~

2008 Gibson SG faded special (faded brown) Fender blues jr 15 watt tube
1996 Fender telecaster (midniight blue)
Fender acoustasonic 30 watt
Freshman FA 300ABL (matt blue)
Fender Rumble 15 bass amp
Washburn Southwest D46 CE (spalted maple)
Takamine EG 440 C (translucent red flamed maple)Yamaha Compass CPX 700 (brown sandburst)Yamaha FG405 (black)
Fender BG 312 bass (black)

#27 User is offline   bjb5228 

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

a comparison of coated and uncoated strings:

Soundcloud

Lower End (Tak) vs. Higher End (AJ) Showdown

#28 User is offline   GT Hurley 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

View Postbjb5228, on 10 March 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

I have tried the elixrs for the last couple of months and have come the complete circle. I prefer the non-coated as I feel the brightness is needed with my rosewood instruments. If I were inclined to purchase an SJ 200 in maple I might use the coated strings.
GT Hurley
www.gthurley.com
Singer/Songwriter

1937 Gibson L-00
1943 Gibson Banner J45
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Custom Engstrom Telecaster

#29 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Well in this case it was clear this AJ really NEEDED the brigther strings rather than coated or uncoated. The Pearse strings Im guessing were PB's and they downriht made that guitar sound like it was stuffed full of socks, just aweful.

The 80/20's brought it completely alive and great sounding,so for me its more like brighter vs warmer strings, and for rosewood I found you really NEED brighter strings for it to shine.

View Postbjb5228, on 10 March 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

What we do on weekends:

#30 User is offline   nodehopper 

• LocationForesthill

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

I have to admit that I don't like Elixir coated strings. I may be in the minority here as I know Elixir has a devoted following here. One thing to be sure of is Elixir makes two coatings the Nano-web and Poly-web. The Poly-web coating is much thicker and I think these strings would only be useful for recording when string squeak needs to be held to an absolute minimum. So if you do want to give Elixirs a fair try .....make sure you get the Nano-webs.

I do love the Elixir strings on my electric guitars.....they go for a year or so before I think of changing them!

I have tried the new Martin "Cleartone" coated strings and still not sure about them yet. I do like D'Addario EXP coated strings. They are a little flexy but they seem like uncoated strings other than they last for months.

I always think of strings as spices on food. As they say in recipes "let simmer and season to taste"

Martin 000-15S --- Martin 000-28EC --- Gibson LP Studio Premium Plus --- Danelectro U2

#31 User is offline   57classic 

• Wicked Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Hub

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:58 AM

OK, count me as one of the converted! I had been reading about all these people with with their bone nuts (sounds painful), saddles and pins.
I'm thinking, "how much difference can it make?". I had Taylors and they came with Tusq nuts & saddle. They sustained forever.
My SWD, which I've had since last summer, sounds great. Well, you know how it is, you keep reading over and over how great something is and you finally decide, "I want that".

So my curiosity got the best of me. After some research, I decided I could install my own bone saddle. I went to Bob Colosi's website. People rave about this guy on the forum.
I had a look around and called him. Really nice and helpful guy and he's from my neck of the woods so we talked a little sports.
At this point I decided to only change the saddle as it seems this will affect the greatest change in sound.

A couple of days later the saddle arrives. Directions that come with it are very easy to follow.
I think it took less than a a half hour before I was playing the guitar with the new set up. I didn't change the strings as they are EXP's and not old, plus I got a better feel for a before/after comparison.
Really HUGE difference! Much more sustain. More focused and articulated sound. It brought out a richness in tone which wasn't there before.
Mind you, I loved the sound of this guitar before but it is much better now. [thumbup]
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute Goldtop
Gibson J45 Custom
Eastman E6OM
Victoria 5112
Weber Mini Mass Attenuator
Maxon OD 808

#32 User is offline   nodehopper 

• LocationForesthill

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

View Post57classic, on 01 April 2011 - 05:58 AM, said:

OK, count me as one of the converted! I had been reading about all these people with with their bone nuts (sounds painful), saddles and pins.
I'm thinking, "how much difference can it make?". I had Taylors and they came with Tusq nuts & saddle. They sustained forever.
My SWD, which I've had since last summer, sounds great. Well, you know how it is, you keep reading over and over how great something is and you finally decide, "I want that".

So my curiosity got the best of me. After some research, I decided I could install my own bone saddle. I went to Bob Colosi's website. People rave about this guy on the forum.
I had a look around and called him. Really nice and helpful guy and he's from my neck of the woods so we talked a little sports.
At this point I decided to only change the saddle as it seems this will affect the greatest change in sound.

A couple of days later the saddle arrives. Directions that come with it are very easy to follow.
I think it took less than a a half hour before I was playing the guitar with the new set up. I didn't change the strings as they are EXP's and not old, plus I got a better feel for a before/after comparison.
Really HUGE difference! Much more sustain. More focused and articulated sound. It brought out a richness in tone which wasn't there before.
Mind you, I loved the sound of this guitar before but it is much better now. [thumbup]

Hey Classic ...glad you had a nice big gulp of the grape Kool-Aid !! [flapper]

I just recently acquired a Martin 000-28EC (which is possibly the best guitar I have ever played) and ordered the bone pins with 4mm Ebony inlays from Bob Colosi and not only do the pins look really classy, but made a superb guitar even better.

I think considering how low cost and reversible bone pins saddle etc is ....it is well worth trying.

#33 User is offline   57classic 

• Wicked Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Hub

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

View Postnodehopper, on 05 April 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

Hey Classic ...glad you had a nice big gulp of the grape Kool-Aid !! [flapper]

I just recently acquired a Martin 000-28EC (which is possibly the best guitar I have ever played) and ordered the bone pins with 4mm Ebony inlays from Bob Colosi and not only do the pins look really classy, but made a superb guitar even better.

I think considering how low cost and reversible bone pins saddle etc is ....it is well worth trying.

Couldn't agree more! I guess I (foolishly) thought guitar builders would deliver instruments to the customer equipped to sound their best...NOT
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute Goldtop
Gibson J45 Custom
Eastman E6OM
Victoria 5112
Weber Mini Mass Attenuator
Maxon OD 808

#34 User is offline   hardmodskin 

• LocationLos Angeles/San Francisco

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

arrrghhh...all this talk of upgrading to bone is making me want to try it too. curse you, forum!
Gibson J-50 Lefty
Rickenbacker 330 Lefty
Rickenbacker 360V64-12 string Lefty
Gretsch 6118T Anniversary Lefty
Valencia classical Lefty
Gold Tone Banjo Ukelele Lefty (converted from righty)
Hohner Harmonica Lefty (hahahah)

Ampeg Reverberocket

#35 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

View Posthardmodskin, on 13 April 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

arrrghhh...

Let's hear what you hear -
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#36 User is offline   retrorod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

View PostSpotondrums, on 05 January 2011 - 10:44 AM, said:

I got an even cheaper "tone" tip,....loose the pick and grow your finger nails!!!!!

\:D/

Easier said than done.....for a nail-chewer like me!
"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."--Cormac McCarthy

"It requires wisdom to understand wisdom: the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.

-Walter Lippman

Just because I don't say it....does not mean, that I may not think it! - ME

#37 User is offline   sboiir 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

my 2 pennys go to........it's all what the player wants to get out of it. we all want a certain sound that is what we want. my Gibson j100 to me is so what i call earthy sounding-the best sound out of any guitar i ever played. and after owning it 16 years i want it a little bright now. it seems to be getting more and more mellow yet fuller or richer. but after a while i want it just how it is. always consider trading it for a small body to get the sound i want today, but know will miss the sound have now. for me, liking what i got. instead of altering it.....just need to add 1 more guitar to the family

#38 User is offline   Lee M 

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:05 AM

View Postsboiir, on 02 May 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

my Gibson j100 to me is so what i call earthy sounding-the best sound out of any guitar i ever played. and after owning it 16 years i want it a little bright now. it seems to be getting more and more mellow yet fuller or richer.

After 16 years, it's possible your hearing has deteriorated (a normal aging process), and that the loss of brightness is due to your ears, not the guitar.
1993 Gibson Gospel

#39 User is offline   sboiir 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

View PostLee M, on 08 May 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

After 16 years, it's possible your hearing has deteriorated (a normal aging process), and that the loss of brightness is due to your ears, not the guitar.

I guess that's possible, in fact probable. haha Thanks for not just saying I'm old. hahaha. I broke it out again yesterday and today...sad to say, I'm gonna have to let her go. Just too big to enjoy anymore. Been searching small bodies and would rather trade than sell. But, will be putting my J100extra-c up for sale or trade soon. Be hard to part with though.

Listed it today in trading post

#40 User is offline   Lee M 

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

View Postsboiir, on 09 May 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

I guess that's possible, in fact probable. haha Thanks for not just saying I'm old. hahaha.

At 62, I would never call someone else old! [biggrin]

Btw, I know my high frequency hearing now stops at about 11khz and I suspect my sensitivity at lower frequencies is diminished also.
1993 Gibson Gospel

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users