Gibson Brands Forums

OK a maximum of 5 of you can say "I told you so"

Johnt

Ok you guys are right!

I am dog poo as usual!

Subject matter Strings!

My last thread raised at least 2 sets of eyebrows when I said I used 010s on my J45.

Could almost hear the well intentioned sniggers!

My friend Thermionik suggested I went to my local "guitarsRus" and played something out of the box to try some heavier strings.

So after I'd cruised round the M25 avoiding speed cameras and Polish lorries I went into a shop called Andertons in Guildford. (they are Gibson dealers)

Usual story

Have you a Robert Johnson? NAW! ( IF they'd had one I thin k I would have been posting the pics today)

Have you a J300 ? NAW!

Have you a J200 ? NAW!

>>>>>well what's that on the wall? (I say)

" That's an SJ200 Sir ( They were still calling me Sir at that stage.)

Talking of "stages" now that I have set mine, I will get to the point.

Off I went to the "padded cell" with a new blond SJ200 and had a strum, then a bit of flatpick, fingerstyle, then a strum........

OH merde that guitar sounded FAB (as we used to say)

What's it strung with???? 012s!!

Came home stuck set of Masterbuilt Premiums on poor old J45 tuned it down two notches and .......

the old dear sang to me !

I am not usually the first person to acknowledge my mistakes but my hand is in the air

I B*LLSED UP!

Thanks guys

Now converted to 012s, wait two weeks get truss rod checked

Hope it doesn't take me another 30 years to get to 013s

John

I'm not an "I told you so" type (I hope!). I'm rather, "You think YOU f'd up? Listen to THIS!".

In 2000 I bought a 1942 International truck. I got it running but it's limited to moving it once a year so I can mow under it.. it's "back burner". In 2006 I began working on the floorboards and during that process I repaired the emergency brake, which, in this case, is a huge band that wraps around a drum on the outboard side of the transmission. All it needed was some lube and tweak. Afterwards I thought about it and it dawned on me that the brake had been ON for the last 6 years.

I THOUGHT it moved kinda hard......

So anytime you want to smack yourself in the forehead, think about ME.

John T.....liked your gibson "herd" shot on the other gibson forum.....you can cover a LOT of music with those three.....congradulations' date=' AND a wife who buys you guitars....does it get any better????? Do you use 10's on your 335?[/quote']

Yes I am afraid it does wily.

Unless I mess up really badly in the next 6 months or so she's also paying for our flights to the Homecoming so I can get an RJ or an SJ300 (IF i haven's got one by then!)

Yes in this house everything gets 010s which kinda led to my disclosure above!

Thanks for comments yes it's a nice little set backed by by an L5 copy with flatwounds.

I only wish I could do any of them justice!

Take care

BR

John

SIR JOHNT:

I could never think of you as plain dog poo for your past string guage faux pas-just double

poo considering this honors your 2 sterling canines.

You have not really known what your guitar can sound like until you move up to .013s.

No wonder that those wimpy strings that you have been using have driven your poor Jack Russel

crazy when giving out their weak subliminal signals. I can only think of the years of torture this poor Fred has endured with your misapplied strings. Is there any way I can report you to the British Animal Rescue League?

Moose

P.S. Fred is more than welcome to come stay with me-My old J200 sounds just like Gene Autry playing it.

Is there a British Animal Rescue League I may report you to?

Moose

P.S. Fred is more than welcome to come stay with me-

Jeeze Moose I bin reported to them so many times their inspector has a space outside our house!

Fred accepts you kind offer and will arrive on the next plane' date=' if he knew where in hades to go

[img']http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn206/wolfhound9/Dog2.jpg[/img]

But you are right and I count that as "I told you so"

let me get through the 3 pck of 012s I bought then if the J45 is still together we'll try the 013s.

You take care..

By the way why are you playing your J200, ain't you got something better ](*,)

Sir Johnt

You can always use duck tape on your J45 should anything give-I garentee that you will make Esteban pale by comparison when you strum on those 13's. Would you accept a recital invitation to the PPP Academy when you get the nerve to try them? May I also suggest a complete physical check up before you put these strings on as your excitement after playing on them may provoke you to do other things that you haven't thought about in years. I'lle give you one guess as to what that might be.

Best,

Moose

P.S. My J200 can be beat on whereas the Excellente is still being treated with utmost care.(for now)

However, I am about to put a new set of 13's on it over the week end.

If you are really going to Bozeman next Spring-you, the Mrs. and Fred have a most sincere invite

to stop by in Boston to visit moi and Nou Nou-I promise I won't make a point of showing you where the tea was dumped in the harbor.

I bought my superstrat (used) way back in '87 and have been letting rip with her ever since. Well, just the other day I thought I would find out which of the Japanese factories she hailed from and when she was made - obsessive anal retentive control freakery, I know. But guess what I found out.....

Yah pull the freakin tone pot out and it turns the hum-bucker into a single coil.

20 years of whanging and plucking, palm-muting and whammy-bending, and I never knew there were screaming single-coil tones at the pull of a knob.

So Johnt - you are NOT alone - though I didn't drive a truck for 6 years with the brake on!!!!!

That ksd is so honest, it's an inspiration.....

I can't imagine that your J45 will go into a deep shock over a set of 12's. This guitar is made for 13's; anything else is about as effective as a gnat gnawing an elephant.

Break out a pack of 80/20s and let 'er rip.

Johnt>>So after I'd cruised round the M25 avoiding speed cameras and Polish lorries...

I don't have anything to add here about string gauges (there is always some compromise to be made between sounding good and playability) but just curious as to what is a Polish lorry. I assume its a police car. No?

Cheers,

Les

I can't imagine that your J45 will go into a deep shock over a set of 12's. This guitar is made for 13's; anything else is about as effective as a gnat gnawing an elephant.

Break out a pack of 80/20s and let 'er rip.

I'll give that a big HELL YEA!!!

Well my confession's been up for best part of a day and only well intentioned and polite correction Thanks guys I wonder what would have happened if I had posted that I had been using 014s on my Les Paul in the LP forum!!!

To try to come back on your comments the concensus seems to be to go to 013s with which I have to say I concur.

BUT I just bought a 3 pack of 012s and I can be a real tight a** sometimes.

I am 100% sure that Hoss and others are right the 45 will not go into deep shock, frankly I am more concerned about my manicure! LOL

Sticking to the plan, the J45 is now on 012s and dropped 1 1/2 tones. She stays that way for 3/4 weeks, goes to Robbie or Thermionik gets checked then goes to concert pitch.

SWD currently on 009s gone to 011s the DITTO above.

335 stays on 010s.

Dogs stays on Valium

(thanks Moose, if the invite is still on we'll see what we can do, we have every intention of going to Bozeman credit crunch or not.

Mike has our reservation and we have the hotel room booked!

In a drunken "birthday" telephone call with Thermionik last night I was given several tasks including IF Jorman attends, I am to shake his hand, put some "marigolds" on without washing same hand, return to UK and shake Thermionik's hand LOL)

Now Les, you said "but just curious as to what is a Polish lorry. I assume its a police car. No?"

No sorry to have misled you I meant a Lorry from Poland.

We live 20 miles North of the port of Dover and the Channel Tunnel.

The M20 motorway(autoroute) carries 99% of cross channel traffic and passes about 3 miles away from chez nous. The road is full of Bulgarian vans, Polish lorries, French tin cans etc. All of whom have their steering wheels fixed on the wrong side of the cab (that is the left) and consequently their vision driving on the right side of the road (that is the left) is crap!

There is often much lane changing, horn blowing road rage etc. ( and that just when I pull the Volvo out of the garage!)

Well it's 08.00 in the morning here and I like 90% of the male married population of UK am scheduled to start my "holiday" weekend. Like AJ's in another thread, I have mowing duties, the omni present dog walking, taxi service, shopping etc and I do have to irons my smalls. so I'd better hop off.

Have a good day one and all

BR

John

I'm not an "I told you so" type (I hope!). I'm rather' date=' "You think YOU f'd up? Listen to THIS!".

In 2000 I bought a 1942 International truck. I got it running but it's limited to moving it once a year so I can mow under it.. it's "back burner". In 2006 I began working on the floorboards and during that process I repaired the emergency brake, which, in this case, is a huge band that wraps around a drum on the outboard side of the transmission. All it needed was some lube and tweak. Afterwards I thought about it and it dawned on me that the brake had been ON for the last 6 years.

I THOUGHT it moved kinda hard......

So anytime you want to smack yourself in the forehead, think about ME.[/quote']

Go easy on yourself, KSD... it ain't like you tried to back a bus uphill with the front end up on blocks!

John....have a good holiday....raise a pint for us ok???

Yeppo Wily

I raised one for you,

one for Mooseguy

one for AlbertJohn

one for cunkhead

one for Guitarstrummer,

one for TWilson,

one forGearbasher,

one for Jannusguy,

one for Gilliangirl,

one for zombywolf,

one for thermionik.

one for Taylorplayer.

one for KDDaddy

one for TommyK

one for LesLawrence

one for hg

one for ajsc

one for Hoss

one for AlwaysBlack

one for Jinder

one for Drathburn

Than I fell over!

But I expect I raised a few for the others I didn't mention!

Yeppo Wily

I raised one for you' date='

one for Mooseguy

one for AlbertJohn

one for cunkhead

one for Guitarstrummer,

one for TWilson,

one forGearbasher,

one for Jannusguy,

one for Gilliangirl,

one for zombywolf,

one for thermionik.

one for Taylorplayer.

one for KDDaddy

one for TommyK

one for LesLawrence

one for hg

one for ajsc

one for Hoss

one for AlwaysBlack

one for Jinder

one for Drathburn

Than I fell over!

But I expect I raised a few for the others I didn't mention!

[/quote']

Pleased to see you have been moderating your glass raising.

Oh yes

Have to stay "in trim" for the next outing of the UK members of the forum

What do you think about a trip to Guildford? I note you have recently undertaken a visit which was not authorised by the UK Branch Executive Committee. (BTW, volunteers please.)

Their website says they have only 3 12rs in stock so I'm not sure if it's worth a visit from that piont of view but if there's a decent boozer nearby, doing London Pride, I could be persuaded.

What do you think about a trip to Guildford? I note you have recently undertaken a visit which was not authorised by the UK Branch Executive Committee. (BTW' date=' volunteers please.)

Their website says they have only 3 12rs in stock so I'm not sure if it's worth a visit from that piont of view but if there's a decent boozer nearby, doing London Pride, I could be persuaded.[/quote']

Have to say (IMHO of course) that Guildford is a waste of time. All new guitars no 12s to speak of and no Robert Johnson, as shown in stock on their website, which is why I went.

So I made a genuine enquiry last Friday for a new Robert Johnston in natural without the signature and various other things etc.

The guy said he would contact Gibson Europe, he phoned me last Friday night to tell me that he'd not had an emai back from Gibson Europe and to date, you've guessed it nothing more!

Folk on this forum say if you want a custom then just tell the dealer what you need and they'll get a price from Montana.

IT DON'T APPLY IN THE UK!

PERIOD!!!!!

The only information that the Gibson dealer could tell me re a new Robert Johnston is that delivery would be between 1 and 3 months BUT if I wanted custom features it would be longer!

AJ let's stick to Denmark Street, at least we can FEEL what's up for sale!

How the hell do I know that I want an RJ for sure without plucking the darned thing!

Peace and love to all at Martin!

I might need you yet!

Archived