Gibson Brands Forums

Lennons Gibson

Gibson CS

The Gibson "J-160E Modern Classic" that they offer today as part of their regular line is a very different acoustic guitar than the ones Lennon and Harrison played. The original guitars were made of laminated woods and had ladder-bracing to cut feedback from the P-90 pickup. They also had the much-maligned Gibson adjustable saddle.

The modern guitar is cross-braced, made of solid woods and has a fixed saddle. There are numerous other cosmetic differences. Gibson still makes a "1960s J-160E" primarily for the Japanese market, but you can occasionally find one at a Gibson 5-star dealer as well. The only place you can find the 1960s J-160E online in North America is Guitar Sale.

There is also the current "Lennon Signature Peace" J-160E, which represents Lennon's guitar after he stripped off the finish in the late sixties. Although structurally identical to Lennon's guitar there are numerous cosmetic inconsistincies.

The best forum for info on Beatles guitars, amps, etc. is easily BeatGearCavern but VoxTalks has some good info in its archives, and the aforementioned Canteen site is a great introduction to the Beatles guitars.

Thanks fellas...

I really got into those links. Im a Beatles fanatic, so that was a great read.

tedkul...

Have you ever stayed in the room Lennon did "Give Peace a Chance?"

It used to be the Queen Elizabeth hotel in Montreal...room 1745 I believe.

I know its changed names now, but for around $1000 you can stay in the room overnight.

Deal huh? YA RIGHT!

I checked it out a few years back, but cant justify that kind of money.

I haven't stayed in the room, but it's worth noting that it was the stripped Gibson that Lennon recorded Give Peace a Chance with in that very room.

I could never justify spending a thousand bucks for a night in a hotel room...that's another guitar!

A brilliant book called Beatles Gear by Andy Babiuk reveals everything there is to know about the instruments played by The Beatles. John learnt folk finger picking on Donovan's J-45 at Rishikesh, India, one afternoon and the next day had composed Julia and Dear Prudence - much to Donovan's amazement!

Babiuk's book is a great primer and full of juicy photos, but if you're looking for an instrument that's going to look or sound like the Beatles' DO MORE RESEARCH before you buy! EVERY BOOK ever published contains numerous errors and Babiuk's is no exception. For example, the Epiphone Texan that is "identical" to McCartney's pictured has inlay dots on the bridge (McCartney's does not). This is a minor cosmetic issue.

The sonic issues Babiuk doesn't go into detail on (such as Gibson's adjustable saddle, the unusual bracing/tonewoods of the J-160E, hi-gain vs. toaster pickups) can lead someone to purchase a "Modern Classic" J-160E (which will sound no closer to the Beatles' guitars than a J-45, or Hummingbird) or a 24-fret Rick 12-string with hi-gains (which can get you close, but no cigar). That's a lot of $ to spend on a guitar you think is the one you want, but actually isn't.

I mean no criticism to Babiuk's book...It's meant to be an overview of the history of the Beatles' instruments and it does an excellent job. But if "Beatles-spec" is what you want, look elsewhere before you buy.

Archived