Gibson Brands Forums

Holiday Weekend

Johnt

Seem to remember you US chappies were all off for some godforsaken reason a few months ago. Seem also to remember that we were all stoically working.

Well the tables have turned!

This is "August Bank Holiday" weekend in the UK.

It celebrates nothing except the blooming banks will not be writing to us about the overdraft.

It gives us all an opportunity to crowd in to airports/ channel tunnels etc in a vain effort to escape.

Best of all we in the South of England are free to indulge in our favourite (<<WITH a U) pastime

Traffic jams on the M25!

What's it all about ? One poxy day more off (monday)

So as I go to join the end of the jam I wish all in the UK a pleasant holiday weekend =D>

John

Johnt is right on the ball - even way out here in the boondocks, all it means is grockles everywhere and the roads seized solid with caravans and campers heading for the coast. It's cool though, we use the back lanes, but it means a lot of long drives for short cuts, and the beach is a no-no deffo.....

Perfect opportunity to open several bottles and chill on the ol' homestead.

Playing minor chords to the butterflies and bees.

And our 14 hatchling chicks.

I'm on the Jim Beam diet..... lost three days already.

Indeed. August Bank Holiday. We tend to be on our summer hols now but this year we're a bit early. Got back from the north coast of Cornwall (next stop USA) yesterday having spent several days being shouted at by Surf Instructors and my children.......................... and wife, obviously.

We have a slightly larger offensively gas guzzling motor this year. Not all bad as even with a vast variety of body boards, I was able to squeeze in a small Gibson. First time I've taken an axe on holiday. Only room for the 335 so Larry's Room 335 (current project with teacher) got a real hammering last week. (Edit - chords and melody only - NOT the solo stuff!!)

As for the weekend I'll be mowing, taxiing to cricket, DIY etc, but first of all I'll be at The George later this evening for a well earned pint or two. The local in Cornwall was a bit too local if you know what I mean (see The League of Gentlemen - Local Shop. Has this made it across the pond?)... so laid off the ale all week.

And what about Team GB? Not quite challenging the USA but quite extraordinary by our standards. Hopefully with a boxing gold this weekend we can stay ahead of Russia. The bar has been raised an awful long way for London 2012.

Ramble over.

Hope your holiday is the dogs lads! Don't get too arseholed and keep your good Gibsons locked away, out of reach of your barmy little hands. Have a great one, I'm BANKING on it!!

I haven't tried the Jim Beam Diet but I did try the beer and raw vegetable diet. All I lost was my driver's license. A real cock up I must say!! Cheerio.

Ah no wonder Albertjohn has been quiet, been doing the surfer dad thing in Cornwall. Forgive me but I do not recall either a holiday request docket being submitted or Guitarstrummer giving you leave of absence.

Now AJ, have I got this right?

You were "allowed" to take a guitar provided that you left your laptop and work mobile at home?

Yeah thought so, thats what happens to me!

Nice one re the Jim Beam Thermonik!

Wily, you said "JohnT....I thought your holiday was to buy a Robert Johnson guitar and travel to the Delta in your mind?????? Have a good one

(by the way, the deal fell through on both my hollowbodies) "

Which made me think of "going to Carolina in my mind"

and

"Put on my blue suede shoes

And I boarded the plane

Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues

In the middle of the pouring rain"

Thanks for putting those 2 in my head I will walk around humming them all w/e.

Sorry that the hollow bodies fell through BUT a blond 335 will rise Phoenix like from the ashes of your disappointment and scream

"BUY ME OH WILY, TAKE ME I'M YOURS"

You slam the plastic down and exit stage right!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh and thanks zombywolf for saying

"Only after that could ya head out to Ethel's Joint or Junior's Place (both of which, sadly, are now gone)."

Because that allows me to say

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

One of my favourites (<WITH A U)

All the best

Ah no wonder Albertjohn has been quiet' date=' been doing the surfer dad thing in Cornwall. Forgive me but I do not recall either a holiday request docket being submitted or Guitarstrummer giving you leave of absence.

Now AJ, have I got this right?

You were "allowed" to take a guitar provided that you left your laptop and work mobile at home?

Yeah thought so, thats what happens to me!

[/quote']

Had the laptop and work Blackberry as well. Dealt with 90% of the sh1t emails I get every day and was able to keep in touch with you chaps.

Was eying up some top boxes in Halfords today so our next trip (skiing in France in December) is likely to include a Gibson also. Who knows, it might even be a Bozeman 12 string by then.

SIR JOHNT:

LITTLE DID I REALIZE THAT YOU WERE "HAPPILY" HEADED OUT ON YOUR BANKER'S HOLIDAY WEEKEND. I THEREFORE WISH TO JOIN ALL OTHERS IN WISHING YOU AND YOURS A JOYOUS AND SAFE TRIP.

NOW FOR AN OBSERVATION AND APPARENTLY GREATLY NEEDED ADVICE:

A) ONLY IN BRITAIN DO THEY DEDICATE A HOLIDAY TO THEIR BANKERS VIA THE BANK ITSELF. I COULD PRESENTLY EASILY RETIRE ON THE INTEREST ON MY DEBTS DUE TO MY EASY INTEREST "FRIENDLY" BANK SO WHY THE HELL SHOULD I FEEL HAPPY TO CELEBRATE IT AS A HOLIDAY?

=P~ HAVING SEEN SCENES OF YOUR ROADWAYS ON SUCH HOLIDAYS AS YOU SEEM TO BE DEPARTING ON, I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO ALTOGETHER FORGET YOUR BOZEMAN VISIT. INSTEAD YOU SHOULD TRAVEL TO SOUTHERN US AND ENROLL IN A DEMOLITION DERBY SCHOOL. UPON GRADUATION, YOU NOW WILL REALLY BE MORE THAN READY FOR ALL BRITISH HIGHWAYS AFTER LEARNING THE FINE ART OF TOTALLY MANGLING ANY DRIVER THAT OBSTRUCTS YOUR PASSAGE.

C) EASIER SOLUTION- FOR A COMPLETE RESTFUL HOLIDAY, JUST PUT THE OLD GAS GUZZLER UP ON BLOCKS, INVITE YOUR PICKEN BUDDIES OVER, BREAK OUT THE HOOTCH AND VOILA INSTANT JOY WITHOUT THE TRAVEL TRAVAILS. YOU CAN EVEN KEEP FRED IN HIS USUAL SPOT IN THE GL0VE COMPARTMENT JUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL THAT YOU ARE REALLY ON THE ROAD.

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE WORKS AT LEAST I TRIED.

HAVE A GOOD ONE

MOOSE

albertjohn - when you said you were eyeing up top boxes in Halfords, I had this horrible freakish flash that - box being slang for acoustic, top being slang for jolly good - you had seen Gibsons for sale in Halfords. I mean, I know the distribution in the UK is an issue right now, but Halfords? Perleeeze! You had me worried for a second there.....

Moose - the Bank Holidays were originally legislated to allow the Bank staff to go to the important cricket matches of the season. Everybody else got dragged into it because, with the bankers away, not much got done financially. So you are right - they rip us off for handling our money - then take time off on the proceeds. Huh.

Also - see over the left of the keyboard, the [Caps Lock] key, when the shouting starts, as in:

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT ME, I'M NOT DEAF.

Try pressing it once and you should get a more friendly and conversational case.

I'm just saying, is all =D>

albertjohn - when you said you were eyeing up top boxes in Halfords

I'm just saying' date=' is all[/size'] eusa_whistle.gif

Boxes is also slang for something entirely different, here in the Colonies. Maybe, he wasn't looking at guitars. Do I need to elaborate? (or do you spell it "elabourate)

Thermoinik

Thank you for the background of your Bankers Holiday-In my bank just try to find an officer to speak with, they all seem to be on a perpetual holiday.

YOU ARE RIGHT -no more caps, in the future all bon mots shall be delivered in the most UNDERSTATED WAY.

MOOSE

Boxes is also slang for something entirely different' date=' here in the Colonies. Maybe, he wasn't looking at guitars. Do I need to elaborate? (or do you spell it "elabourate)[/quote']

WHAT DID YOU SAY? YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP A BIT THE HEARING'S ON THE BLINK. I THINK IT MAY BE A RESULT OF SPENDING TOO MUCH TIME LOOKING AT THINGS I OUGHT NOT TO.

I hope y'all enjoyed your time off. Here in the USA, formerlyknownas 'colonies' what forced the issue, Bank Holiday sends shudders up the spines of depositors.

But.. Bank Holiday as a national, Get-Out-Of-Work day pales to the sensibilities compared to 'Boxing Day'. No, not a holiday to celebrate or go see a pugilisitic event but an entire day off just because of corrugated paper. I gotta get a better union.

Y'all keep it betwixed the fences, the bugs of your glass and the bears off your tail. We gonna go 10-99 for a while and we'll catch ya on the flip-flop. We gone.. bye bye.

IY'all keep it betwixed the fences' date=' the bugs of your glass and the bears off your tail. We gonna go 10-99 for a while and we'll catch ya on the flip-flop. We gone.. bye bye.[/quote']

Forgive my obvious ignorance but, could someone please tell me what on Earth he is talking about?

Forgive my obvious ignorance but' date=' could someone please tell me what on Earth he is talking about?[/quote']

he's going somewhere (probably in a truck) hoping to keep the vehicle safely on the road, windshield clean, no state troopers on his tail and evidently there's some sort of emergency. refer to old tune "convoy" by tom t. hall, i think.

Archived