Gibson Brands Forums

Upgraded, Limited True Vintage Hummingbird, J-45, and SJ-200 Now Available

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Upgraded, Limited True Vintage Hummingbird, J-45, and SJ-200 Now Available

082108_top.jpg

Gibson Acoustic’s guitar workshop in Bozeman, Montana, is known for crafting some of the finest instruments ever produced in the 120-plus-year history of this storied company, and for fans of great vintage-spec flat-tops the True Vintage series is the cream of the crop. Now Gibson is releasing an extremely limited edition of just 167 pieces each of three selected True Vintage models, the J-45, SJ-200, and Hummingbird, all of which will receive deluxe upgrades worth as much as $1,500.

A Gibson True Vintage acoustic is already the closest thing to hopping into a time capsule and traveling back to the era when your favorite classic flat-top was born, but add these limited deluxe treatments to the brew and each model offers a rare opportunity for both players and collectors. Each Limited Edition True Vintage SJ-200 and J-45 will be built with a top made from solid Red Spruce, a rare and highly prized tone wood, and will be constructed with hot hide glue, just like back in the day. Their sibling the Hummingbird will wear a solid premium Sitka Spruce top with special Cherry Burst finish that matches the finish on the first run of Hummingbirds back in 1960. All will come with a custom-made, period-correct case (recreated from meticulous study of the original cases), and a Certificate of Authenticity. Each will also be labeled inside the body with its individual number within this limited run of 167. Additionally, upon filing his or her warranty registration card, each customer will be sent a specially designed jacket embroidered with the model name of the guitar they have purchased and an embroidered custom-run case cover.

Article on gibson.com >>

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They sound nice, but I imagine this will only add fuel to the fire of those who are already confused about various specs for the same model of guitar. It would be nice if Gibson offered a spread sheet of the different models and specs so we could keep track of all of them.

Thank you for posting this for us, though. It's nice to have the information.

Why, oh why does Gibson do this to me???? This is almost more temptation then I can stand. I have been dreaming about a 'Bird and now this. This is almost more than I can bear. I'm ready to call and order; no mention of pricing though. I'm thinking $3500+ range. Hmmmm...better hide the credit cards and vehicle titles!

They sound nice' date=' but I imagine this will only add fuel to the fire of those who are already confused about various specs for the same model of guitar. It would be nice if Gibson offered a spread sheet of the different models and specs so we could keep track of all of them.

[/quote']

Gotta +1 this sentiment.

Ugghhh...

i think it's one more than an SJ 19.

ro

Rob

My compliments!

That just has to be the "Quote of the week"

Hilarious and as dry as a fine Pouilly-Fuissé

BTW just to stray to another thread , what strings do you use on your SJ19?

Thanks for that Rob, excellent laugh!

BR

John

I think it's wonderful what Bozeman has done for the good of the Gibson acoustics in the past 20 years or so. Without the efforts of a lot of good people, the Gibson name might be slapped onto a line of Chinese guitars imported by Fender.

But right now I have the same feeling towards Gibson as I did about the Japanese motorcycle industry in the 1980s. They are constantly trying to improve models for the sole purpose of making you think your two year old model is no good and therefore you HAVE to have the newest, latest, and greatest, or else you're a slug using everyone else's oxygen.

Sorry, Henry, I've got a daughter going off to college, I can't spend 10% of my annual income on a new Hummingbird every year.

Rob

My compliments!

That just has to be the "Quote of the week"

Hilarious and as dry as a fine Pouilly-Fuissé

BTW just to stray to another thread ' date=' what strings do you use on your SJ19?

Thanks for that Rob, excellent laugh!

BR

John[/quote']

thx jt. i'm currently using mono- filament (fishing line) as i'm starting to save up for the ltd. edition tv j-45. i had been using twine but on some of my faster single note runs, it tended to catch fire.

ro

"They are constantly trying to improve models for the sole purpose of making you think your two year old model is no good"

Generally true of the industry. Classic case: Martin's leap from the vintage series to "golden era/marquis" to authentics (dispensing with that modern marvel, the truss rod). What's next? Relics?

What's aggravates about the trend is the gap between the upscale market lines and std series. Used to just make a D18 or a J45.

Its the way of a world, and for all I know it keeps them, the builders, afloat. But its one more case of a playground for the well to

do and a pinch for everyone else.

"A Gibson True Vintage acoustic is already the closest thing to hopping into a time capsule and traveling back to the era when your favorite classic flat-top was born." A bit over the top' date=' yes?

[/quote']

with what these guitars will cost, gibson can afford the finest hyperbole. if only the prices traveled back in time as well. J45 = $45.00? i'm in!

my bet is there is more to come. first came 'true' vintage. this is the 'truer' edition and next with be 'truest'. exactly like ksd said, it harkens to the 'new and improved' style marketing that has been commonplace for 30 years or so. it is also neccessary for a company to remain current and viable in a consumer market that is fueled by ADD.

however, this "limited" run seems to be aimed directly at the collector with a tonne of disposable income who sees the guitar as furniture and not the soothing instrument of joy that serious players do.

My guess is that whatever dealers order 'em will have 'em. The announcement was published on the web, so that's a pretty broad market coverage.

It's my guess that "regular" dealers will have as much opportunity at these as the 5-Star Gibson dealers.

Fred

The sun is shining - it is cool and dry here in South Texas - so forgive me for lapsing from cynicism for a minute here. I think, if I were buying a guitar - I'd rather get it from a company that tries out new things. And looks at what was successful among the old things. You know - like a fiddle maker trying to recreate a Strad. Many of us here GAS about the old Gibsons. Well, they aren't making them anymore! So the next best thing is for the OEM to dig deeper and try to figure out if they might be able to go back to the future to attempt to please the purest of the purists. I prefer that business strategy to one where you 'manufacture' as many guitars as you can, each an engineering clone so you can focus on quantity and contribution margins per unit sold. If I had woken up this am with a winning lottery ticket, I'd be ordering one of these J45s right now. But since I didn't - I'm not running out to buy a Takemine! Sheesh.

I hear what you're saying Fortyyears, I'd love to have my first car back. Light blue and white '57 Chevy Belaire convertible with white rag top and light blue and white rolled interior. Aint gonna happen with the wallet I have. It cost me $625 in 1966! I applaud Gibson for trying to recreate old favorites but the only way I could get the one I want is if they make it out of 60 year-old wood! Anyway, if I had the scratch to just go out and grab one I'd probably do it. Preferably TODAY!!!

Archived