Gibson Brands Forums

Upgraded, Limited True Vintage Hummingbird, J-45, and SJ-200 Now Available

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

they're not built yet. just taking dealer orders right now.

I have it on good authority that they have been built and have been shipping for the past week. Music Villa has theirs in. I also understand that a bunch of them were shipped to Europe, so you guys should be happy over there too.

The color on the Hummingbird is dead on to the original. The sound on all three models is fantastic.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it on good authority that they have been built and have been shipping for the past week. Music Villa has theirs in. I also understand that a bunch of them were shipped to Europe' date=' so you guys should be happy over there too.

The color on the Hummingbird is dead on to the original. The sound on all three models is fantastic.[/quote']

I just got off the phone with Music Villa, and all three of their Limited TV editions - J-45, SJ-200 and Hummingbird - have already been sold and shipped out as of today. They are checking to see if they can get more.

for all the debate surrounding these models, what it boils down to, for me, is that it's nice to have more options as a buyer and a player. When I bought my Hummingbird, I chose it not on the basis of its specs, bracing, authenticity or anything else-I bought it because it slayed every other guitar in the store and spoke to me in a very direct way. I still love it to bits, it's my #1 stage guitar and records like a dream.

My point is that i've played a few TV Birds, several Custom Shop Birds and the odd vintage Bird, and the one that was right for me was the MC. That is not, of course, to denigrate the TV, CS or Vintage models I picked up, of course. I have various friends and musical colleagues who play all the aforementioned models, and they are right for them.

The great thing about all these models and all this choice is that it allows a player to say "ooh I like the look of the Hummingbird, but I don't want a pickup and I'd like vintage appointments" or whatever, and a model exists, off the peg, that is just right for that player. I think this is much more preferable that the olden days stance of "want a Hummingbird? Here it is!".

Viva choice, I say!

I'd love to play one of these limited editions.

Another thought crossed the feebly-synapsed nuerons in my head. Another good marketing/business strategy is: keep changing "quality" of the instrument (claiming it is better), because the consumer mindset (these days) is: I have to have the best. So, they trade in their "once the best, but now inferior" models to get the the "improved one". Now Gibson (or any other maker) no longer has to honor the lifetime warranty on the traded-in instrument. This could save a company big $$$$$$.

Another thought crossed the feebly-synapsed nuerons in my head. Another good marketing/business strategy is: keep changing "quality" of the instrument (claiming it is better)' date=' because the consumer mindset (these days) is: I have to have the best. So, they trade in their "once the best, but now inferior" models to get the the "improved one". Now Gibson (or any other maker) no longer has to honor the lifetime warranty on the traded-in instrument. This could save a company big $$$$$$.[/quote']

Gearbasher, I gotta say, you do make some good points. While I maintain that if it's better it's better, claim or no, and that many of these models are better to my ear, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the things you mention are not a large part of what's driving the frequency of releases. I've just started reading into all the limited editions that Gibby releases, and it's amazing. Keep on fighting the good fight, great points.

Good one, Basher. While I appreciated Hoss' equation ("market research=vintage accuracy + consumer gratification), Im not sure these new offerings, wonderful as they likely may be, will take us in the desired direction.

If it were up to the likes of me, Gibson would do its retro line like the exclusives they make for Fullers Vintage in Tejas: no frills accurate repros, sans pretentious series monikers ("true authentic vintage era golden legends") and dead artist sigs. But I dont know what that would do for sales. Or for up market boomers (good one, Corner).

Archived