Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman?

Searcy

I bought a 1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman earlier this year. I was really looking for a 335 or a 175 but once I played the neck on this guitar I knew it was for me. I'm not a finger style picker or anything but when it comes to tricky chord work and arpeggios I sometimes have trouble of a standard neck.

For a guitar production that ran for 15 years it's surprising how tricky is can be finding information on this guitar. There's nothing out there with yearly changes. Some of the information I have found is just plain wrong from looking at my guitar. For example the center block is not "chromite" (balsa wood), it's maple.

Anyway, Do you have one of these fantastic guitars?

CACG25.jpg

I bought a 1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman earlier this year. I was really looking for a 335 or a 175 but once I played the neck on this guitar I knew it was for me. I'm not a finger style picker or anything but when it comes to tricky chord work and arpeggios I sometimes have trouble of a standard neck.

For a guitar production that ran for 15 years it's surprising how tricky is can be finding information on this guitar. There's nothing out there with yearly changes. Some of the information I have found is just plain wrong from looking at my guitar. For example the center block is not "chromite" (balsa wood), it's maple.

Anyway, Do you have one of these fantastic guitars?

CACG25.jpg

wowowowowow!!! it's fantastic!!! Now you could upload a video about yakety axe if you don't have already done!!!!

No offence but I prefer the Gretsch's

V

:-({|=

I understand. I played a few of the Gretsch's Country Gentleman guitars before I bought this one. There's no comparison. This guitar has a wider neck and thinner body. It feels a lot like a wide neck 335. Someone who loves the Gretsch would hate this guitar. For my hands I think it may be the finest guitar Gibson ever made.

Here's a better picture of this one.

DSCN0716.jpg

I understand. I played a few of the Gretsch's Country Gentleman guitars before I bought this one. There's no comparison. This guitar has a wider neck and thinner body. It feels a lot like a wide neck 335. Someone who loves the Gretsch would hate this guitar. For my hands I think it may be the finest guitar Gibson ever made.

Here's a better picture of this one.

DSCN0716.jpg

I agree...interesting points made

I think I am right in saying the Gretsch was hollow and the Gibson with a centre-block at Chet's request

I am a huge George Harrison fan so tend towards the Gretsch

My quiver contains a Gretsch Jet Firebird and a Gibson 335 so I am happy on several fronts

V

Yea, it's has a solid maple block that runs all the way through the body. Chet tried to get Gretsch to do that from day one but they wouldn't. I love George myself. My favorite of the Fab Four. My favorite guitar player is Michael Schenker but my collection wouldn't let you know that :o)

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm in the "Gretsch" camp, on Country Gent's.

1966 Country Gent...including original (and,crumbling) binding...which

I'm trying to find someone "reasonable" in price, to restore. "Reasonable"

seems to be the problem. (Smile)

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

As far as the Gibson version...Nice Guitar, no doubt! Although, I never could figure

out, why they didn't bind the neck, on that model. Was that at "Chet's" request??

Ok, so it's not all in my head. The Gretsch neck isn't as wide as the 1.75" Gibson. That's good to know.

When I bought this guitar I spent a lot of time trying out lot's of different instruments from lots of different makers. I knew I wanted either a hollow body or a simi hollow body. I tried lot's of Gretsch, Gibson, Ric and Guild guitars. There is still a Star Fire out there that I want and one day I will have a Ric 360/12 string. But one thing I learned was that I just don't like Gretsch guitars. They just didn't feel right to me and 99% of what I look for in a guitar is feel. The f not-holes on the Gretsch made it seem cheap. I also wasn't impressed with the string mutes and switches all over most of the guitars and I can't stand that brown and orange colors that they use. I'm not a fan of the FilterTron tone either. I have heard a lot of people make them sound fantastic but when you add all that together it's just not the guitar for me.

I didn't buy this one because of Chet. I'm actually not a huge Chet fan. He was a wonderful man and I have profound respect for him but his music isn't something I listen to much. But his guitar is just about perfect. It has massive sustain and a smooth even tone that I love. Running through a Cry Baby and a high gain amp it's just amazing.

• Upvote 1

I own a 1990 Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean, which was the first year of that model. Same red finish as your Country Gent, 16 frets clear of the body, 25.5" scale, 1.5" width nut, ebony fretboard with offset dots, 3 piece maple neck, silver pickguard, silver truss rod cover, no armrest (later models had a black pickguard, trc, & armrest). In many respects somewhat similar to the Country Gent, and of course this was by Chet's design. I've always been partial to skinnier necks, but for some reason this thing is a breeze to play. I also own a 335 & 339, and the Tennessean compares very favorably while being significantly different. Imho, these two Gibson CA models are real sleepers.

• Upvote 1

Ok, so it's not all in my head. The Gretsch neck isn't as wide as the 1.75" Gibson. That's good to know.

When I bought this guitar I spent a lot of time trying out lot's of different instruments from lots of different makers. I knew I wanted either a hollow body or a simi hollow body. I tried lot's of Gretsch, Gibson, Ric and Guild guitars. There is still a Star Fire out there that I want and one day I will have a Ric 360/12 string. But one thing I learned was that I just don't like Gretsch guitars. They just didn't feel right to me and 99% of what I look for in a guitar is feel. The f not-holes on the Gretsch made it seem cheap. I also wasn't impressed with the string mutes and switches all over most of the guitars and I can't stand that brown and orange colors that they use. I'm not a fan of the FilterTron tone either. I have heard a lot of people make them sound fantastic but when you add all that together it's just not the guitar for me.

I didn't buy this one because of Chet. I'm actually not a huge Chet fan. He was a wonderful man and I have profound respect for him but his music isn't something I listen to much. But his guitar is just about perfect. It has massive sustain and a smooth even tone that I love. Running through a Cry Baby and a high gain amp it's just amazing.

Well, that's cool. We're all different. I love "that great Gretsch sound," as just another tonal variety. I have the "Gent," and my TSP Duo-jet, too. The Gibson Gent, would have had more appeal to me, if it had a bound neck. Something seems "missing" without that. (Smile) But, I know that's only cosmetic. Still, a Gent (to me) needs that extra bit of "bling!"

"Different strokes"....

CB

I own a 1990 Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean, which was the first year of that model. Same red finish as your Country Gent, 16 frets clear of the body, 25.5" scale, 1.5" width nut, ebony fretboard with offset dots, 3 piece maple neck, silver pickguard, silver truss rod cover, no armrest (later models had a black pickguard, trc, & armrest). In many respects somewhat similar to the Country Gent, and of course this was by Chet's design. I've always been partial to skinnier necks, but for some reason this thing is a breeze to play. I also own a 335 & 339, and the Tennessean compares very favorably while being significantly different. Imho, these two Gibson CA models are real sleepers.

I've thought about adding a Gibson Tennessean to my collection. They sell for a song and I'de like to have a guitar like the CG without the Bigsby. Looks good in eighter Red or Black.

Well, that's cool. We're all different. I love "that great Gretsch sound," as just another tonal variety. I have the "Gent," and my TSP Duo-jet, too. The Gibson Gent, would have had more appeal to me, if it had a bound neck. Something seems "missing" without that. (Smile) But, I know that's only cosmetic. Still, a Gent (to me) needs that extra bit of "bling!"

"Different strokes"....

CB

I think the bling factor is another one of the aspects of the Gretsch guitars I didn't care for. They seems a bit too cowboy pimp for me. Even Chet said he didn't like all the little "country" things that Gretsch kept trying to add to his guitar. He talks about that quite a bit in his book "Me and my guitars".

So one of the things I have been looking for is a list of changes to the model. Just looking through pictures I have been able to figure out a few things

Most of the changes seem to have taken place at the end of 1989. The pickup switch was moved from near the bridge to the upper bout like on a Les Paul. The red fret markers were replaced with thumb nail style fret markers. Finally a banjo style arm rest was added. In 1993 the "Chet" style Bigsby ws made an option and the guitar could be had with a standerd Bisby arm.

The guitar was produced from 1986 to 2005 Colors were brown, black, red wine and later made them in sunrise orange.

I think the bling factor is another one of the aspects of the Gretsch guitars I didn't care for. They seems a bit too cowboy pipm for me. Even Chet said he didn't like all the little "country" things that Gretsch kept trying to add to his guitar. He talks about that quite a bit in his book "Me and my guitars".

LOL...yeah, I've never cared for the "branded" guitars, or some of the funky inlays,

in the fingerboards, that some of the Gretsch models had/have. But, the Original

(single cutaway) and later (double cutaway)"Country Gents," weren't (really) "Cowboy'd"

up...IMHO. They were/are just nicely appointed, beautiful instruments. I could have

done without the mutes, too...but, they didn't/don't really "bother" me, in all honesty.

And, aside from those Mutes, they aren't any more "blingy" than an ES-345 or ES-355 Gibson.

So...??? Still..."whatever floats your boat," is cool! ;>)

CB

I really don't like Gretsch guitar much. That's why I didn’t buy one. The over all aesthetic is just not for me but the biggest thing I didn't like about the Gretsch guitars I played was the neck. Like I said I'm not too big a Chet Atkins fan so the fact that his name is on a guitar isn't likely to sell me on it. I bought the Gibson mainly for the way it plays. It also sound wonderful and it looks cool.

I have to admit that I'm always a bit confused that by the fact that ever time I mention this guitar folks feel compelled to compare it to the dozen different Gretsch models that have Chets name on them. This guitar is like nothing Gretsch ever built.

IS there really no one on this forum with a Gibson Country Gent? They must be more rare than I thought.

I really don't like Gretsch guitar much. That's why I didn’t buy one. The over all aesthetic is just not for me but the biggest thing I didn't like about the Gretsch guitars I played was the neck. Like I said I'm not too big a Chet Atkins fan so the fact that his name is on a guitar isn't likely to sell me on it. I bought the Gibson mainly for the way it plays. It also sound wonderful and it looks cool.

I have to admit that I'm always a bit confused that by the fact that ever time I mention this guitar folks feel compelled to compare it to the dozen different Gretsch models that have Chets name on them. This guitar is like nothing Gretsch ever built.

IS there really no one on this forum with a Gibson Country Gent? They must be more rare than I thought.

Well, that's cool...but, to most guitarists, mention of a "Country Gentleman" guitar, is still associated with Gretsch! The Gibson's are nice guitars...I would never argue that...but a "Gent," is still a Gretsch, and always will be, since it was the original version...IMHO.

CB

I too was a little indifferent to Gretsch until quite recently, thinking they were all about fashion and appearance

Many posers toted Gretsch's...often White Falcons

But as I dug a little deeper and learned more, I began to appreciate the brand and it's history

Via Cliff Gallup, Eddie Cochran, Duane Eddy, Chuck Berry, George Harrison, Chet Atkins, Dave Stewart, Jack White, Brian Setzer, Bono et al

I particularly like the sound of S/C Dynasonics...a relatively rare fitting on a hollow body....

V

I don't buy guitars based on who plays them. I buy them based on how I play them. So far I have not been able to talk about this guitar without it immediately turning into a big "let's talk about Gretsch topic". That's actually why I came here to the Gibson Forum to talk about it.