Gibson Brands Forums

Volume loss through pedalboard??

Dennis G

Noticed today that if I'm running through my pedalboard, the volume on my amp is about 1/3 normal. If I go direct guitar to amp it's LOUD CITY on the same setting. Tried 2 different tube amps, same result. As an electical/electronics moron, I'm stumped. [unsure]

I did the usual "check all connections" and everything seems okay. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Noticed today that if I'm running through my pedalboard, the volume on my amp is about 1/3 normal. If I go direct guitar to amp it's LOUD CITY on the same setting. Tried 2 different tube amps, same result. As an electical/electronics moron, I'm stumped. [unsure]

I did the usual "check all connections" and everything seems okay. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

How many pedals are you running on the pedalboard? Sounds like you may be getting some signal loss due to the number of pedals, or a bad cord between pedals. Those would be my first guesses anyway. Too much of a load can cause signal loss before it gets to the amp.

Almost certainly a bad cable on the board. Might be a good time to consider upgrading all pedal patch cables. George L makes a very reasonably priced cable that's very low in capacitance, although beware that the screw-on plugs DO come loose and cause problems from time to time. They may well be simple to repair, but it still sucks when it happens during a performance, and who's got the time to re-cut and repair ANY cable while on stage? Far better to eliminate the possibility of this type of flaky cable failure altogether, imo.

If you use George L cable, you should either consider blue loctite on the ends or (better yet) solder real plugs, such as switchcraft, G&H, or Neutrik, onto the cable. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to do some research at lavacable.com before making a purchase decision, although keep in mind that lava is in business to sell cable, so while the capacitance ratings may be entirely objective, the review comments aren't necessarily so.

Thanks guys. I've got 5 pedals on the board. It's been fine for a year or so, but just noticed the problem yesterday. I've got some spare cables so I guess I'll start the trial and error replacement to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived