• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

where to buy?

#1 User is offline   schnarz25 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

hey everyone, where should I buy a gibson at if I dont have any local shops that sell them? I was going to go to guitar center but Ive been hearing alot of bad things about buying expensive stuff from them.I was told on here to go feel the guitar at guitar center and then order it from musicians friend. anybody have a good suggestion for me?

#2 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex
  • LocationIn this country town, where the laughter sounds........

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Sam Ash is good. Sweetwater Music is another one.

#3 User is offline   dem00n 

• Anti-EMG's
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Sweetwater!
Kill everyone who ever done me harm

#4 User is offline   schnarz25 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

is sweetwater only online? so sweetwater is my best bet? because if Im gonna spend $1700 then I want to spend it at the right place.

#5 User is offline   dem00n 

• Anti-EMG's
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

schnarz25, on 04 January 2011 - 08:05 PM, said:

is sweetwater only online? so sweetwater is my best bet? because if Im gonna spend $1700 then I want to spend it at the right place.

I think they have one store, but yes they are mostly online. But yeah if you know what gibson you want and had to choose from a big music store, id go for them.
Kill everyone who ever done me harm

#6 User is offline   schnarz25 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Ok thanks. anyone else want to say anything good or bad about sweetwater?

#7 User is offline   Andy R 

• King of the Night Time World
  • LocationOn my butt in front of a computer....Duh!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

schnarz25, on 04 January 2011 - 08:13 PM, said:

Ok thanks. anyone else want to say anything good or bad about sweetwater?

Sweetwater is awesome and is only about an hour and a half drive from where I live. They have the nicest store/facility you will ever see. I have had good luck with them and would recommend them for sure. If you're ever passing through Northern Indiana you definitely need to check it out.

Andy

I think...Therefore My Brain Hurts...

#8 User is offline   schnarz25 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

does sweetwater charge tax? because musicians friend doesnt and thats at least another $100

#9 User is offline   Tim Plains 

• Addict

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

What guitar are you buying?

In the US, you don't pay tax if you buy something from another state and have it shipped to your state. It's not that MF doesn't charge tax. It's just that they're located in a different state than you.
Tim

#10 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:38 AM

Taxes also may be collected if there is a retail store in the state you're in too. I have to pay tax if I order from Sam Ash because there are stores in Florida. Don't have to if i order from Sweetwater Music in Indiana. Sweetwater Music is a very reputable location.

#11 User is offline   G McBride 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenterville, Indiana

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:43 AM

I pay tax at both Sweetwater and MF because I live in Indiana. I have used both and they do a great job.
Buy from Sweetwater and you will feel like the appreciate your business.

#12 User is offline   Murph 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

I've used both and never had a problem.

You might think about a road trip. A good excuse, and you get to play some guitars.

#13 User is online   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

Wildwood Guitars is another good one. The good thing about Sweetwater and Wildwood is that they have pictures of the actual guitars that are for sale right there online so you can see the actual axe that you're buying. Cool.

I have bought 2 guitars from Musician's Friend and they're fine, too.

Good luck. I hope you find a good one.

#14 User is offline   Andy R 

• King of the Night Time World
  • LocationOn my butt in front of a computer....Duh!

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

G McBride, on 05 January 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

I pay tax at both Sweetwater and MF because I live in Indiana. I have used both and they do a great job.
Buy from Sweetwater and you will feel like the appreciate your business.

Greetings my fellow Hoosier. What part of Indiana are you from? Have you been to Sweetwater? If not you should definitely check it out. It is an amazing facility.

Andy

I think...Therefore My Brain Hurts...

#15 User is offline   Silenced Fred 

• BANNED
  • Group: Banned
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

Sweetwater is awesome, they are top notch there. Never bought a guitar from them, but I have bought stuff ranging from 15 dollars to 200 and each time, I was treated like I was buying a Custom Shop guitar from them.

#16 User is offline   chase1410 

• You Can't Fix Ignorance...
  • LocationOmaha NE

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

American Musical has been incredible for me and the payment plan's they offer really help...I've spent thousands at AMS...if not there I'd buy from Sweetwater or WildWood Guitars.
-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
Gibson Les Paul Traditonal Plus (500k CTS pts & Luxe BB cap mods)
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Gibson Silverburst Explorer (w/ 14 gauge SS custom PG & original '59 BB cap mods)
Minarik Inferno ( EVH "Frankenstein" Bridge HB, 500k CTS pots, Paper-Oil Cap mods)
Gibson Les Paul 60's Studio Deluxe( Orange Cap & Paper Oil Cap mod)
Gibson Faded Flying V ( Sprauge Orange Cap Mod)
Martin 000-15 Auditorium

-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe III
Fender Bassman 50 w/ 2x15 cab
-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
TC Electronic Polytune - Lovepedal Les Lius - Way Huge Green Rhino - Lovepedal Amp Eleven - Plum Crazy FX Fuzzy Lady - Strymon El Capistan - Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe - Fulltone Supa-Trem - Barber LTD SR - GreenHouse FX "No Brainer" - Plum Crazy FX King Rasp Prototype - Freekish Blues Alpha Drive - Plum Crazy FX Custom Treble Treble Boost - BBE Sonic Maximizer - Budda BudWah - MXR Classic Overdrive - GMD Luther Drive - MXR Black Label Chorus -T1M Mini Buffer - NT Wet Reverb
-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

#17 User is offline   Tim Plains 

• Addict

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

gsgbass, on 05 January 2011 - 05:38 AM, said:

Taxes also may be collected if there is a retail store in the state you're in too. I have to pay tax if I order from Sam Ash because there are stores in Florida. Don't have to if i order from Sweetwater Music in Indiana. Sweetwater Music is a very reputable location.

Not sure about that. I think it's because Sam Ash might ship out of Florida and you live in Florida. I bought a Gibson R8 on GC.com and had it shipped to the Guitar Center store in Buffalo. I did not pay any taxes when I picked it up. I also bought an Egnater cabinet and had it shipped to Michigan. I paid Michigan sales tax on that one because GC ships out of Michigan.
Tim

#18 User is offline   BigKahune 

• Just plain Member
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Wildwood Guitars - actual pics of each guitar online - http://www.wildwoodguitars.com

Fullers Guitar - no online pics, but they'll email them to you - http://www.fullersguitar.com/

<no affiliation>
13 Gibson CS Advanced Jumbo R/Spruce..O12 Gibson Southern Jumbo TV...O11 RainSong JM-3000 12-string
11 Martin 000-15M Elderly LE......................O10 Gibson ES-359........................o10 Rickenbacker 360 12-string
09 Jackson PC-1............................................O09 Fender 52 Telecaster AVS.oO08 Gibson SJ-200 (Colosi S/P)
08 Gibson Robot SG LTD.........................ooO08 Fender Am/Dlx Stratocaster...-08 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
08 Gibson Les Paul Push Tone......................-07 Guild F412 12-sting..............oo07 Taylor NS74ce
07 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II.........................-98 Martin D-45VR.........................97 Guild X-700 Stuart
73 Yamaha G-55A...........................................-65 Gibson Melody Maker..............Amps: Bogner Alchemist (Head/212Cab)
Keyboard: 06 Yamaha DGX220............................................................................o Line6 Spider Jam & Micro Spider

#19 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

I think I know what the deal is with Sam Ash in FL. They have a Tampa on-line whse. Shipped within the state. TAX.

#20 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenter of the USA

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

I personally wouldn't spend more than $1,000 on any guitar without playing it unless I were a Bill Gates and could give away something I didn't care for.

Sweetwater is different from most of the mail order outfits in that they at least advertise that they check each guitar that goes out.

That means, if they're telling the truth, that it ain't been sitting for a year in a warehouse in whatever conditions that may have caused heaven knows what.

You may also perhaps talk them into putting on your favorite strings and ensuring its set up properly although they'd probably charge extra. That's just a guess, but they're smaller and probably more flexible on such.

The one objection I'd heard to sweetwater is that one of the forum members said he had some sort of contretemps he believed had something to do with his credit card information. I can't recall if that were the exact case, but was a privacy/security issue.

m

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users