Gibson Brands Forums

battle scars

harmonicchaos

i have a three month old vintage mahogany les paul (worn brown) and i have a few scratches and a small to medium sized dent in it already:( i love the natural wood and the fingerprint- safe finish but the wear and tear it accumulates quickly aren't very great. it's really hard when your guitar gets beat up - especially the first time! I'm really careful with it but i guess they just happen. so i thought you guys might like to share pics and stories of your guitars battle scars. they add character and make them more personal and special but it's still hard when your baby gets roughed up!

Do I hear you!

I keep my guitars in my rec room. Sometimes my teenage daughter and

her friends go down there to watch tv. I know they wont touch, but im still

nervous having them near my "ladies"

Ive had my share of dings and dents. It bothers me, but I guess it adds to the

personality of the guitar.

Lots of battle scars with other guitars, major ones: cracked head from falling, neck cracking on SG, beer baths, and the usual dings! Now, I keep my guitar in the case during breaks.

The one I remember was with my ES 345 that I bought in '67. Brand spanking new. I use to hang it in the closet by the head. After a few months, I noticed that the padded hanger wrinkled the head where it was hanging...just like dry lacquer on the outside but sticky on the inside. The same thing on the neck, wrinkles where I lay the guitar on the amp (guitar stands were non-existant the past). I was bummed out then and waited for the neck to dry a year, then sanded and buffed it.

Now, she's back from hibernating for 30 years of semi storage! I noticed last year, for the first time, how the years dryed her and blemished her finish a little. But it just floored me when I played her...great sustain and vibration from the body that I never felt from any other guitar that I owned!...I just feel fortunate to have this guitar!...well don't want to sound wuzzie...but you guys know what I mean!

kaicho...

Youre not a wuss....

These guitars become part of us. Its like a new car. Its so pristine when you first get it, then over time while your washing it, you notice little stone scratches and dings...Its not a nice feeling. But with a car, youll be getting another one in a few years anyway.

Guitars...If we love them we keep them for life.

Your ES 345 must have picked up some nice seasoning while sleeping for all these years!

Thats the tradeoff I suppose.

Archived